RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #05 - The Bridge

Old 07-31-2002, 09:45 PM

Lately I’ve been taking some tutorials to better my Painter 7 skills so I decided to try doing this one mostly in Painter 7.
Here goes nothing. I was impressed with the thread on mosaics so I decided to give it a try with this image.

1. Opened the image in Painter 7 and chose File > Clone to create a clone of the original.
2. In the color palette check Clone Color so the colors will be based on your cloned image.
3. Under File choose Make Mosaic and in the dialog box check Use Tracing Paper to allow the image to show through the grout layer.
4. In the grout box I chose a grey
5. Set the width, length, and grout to the desired size and I chose a pressure of 100%
6. I then started tracing the lines of the bridge following the flow on bricks on the bridge. I finished up with the sky and lowered my tile sizes to do the water and trees.
7. For the trees, I used a circular motion to lay the tiles for a better effect.
8. When the image was done I chose Render Tiles To Mask in the options list and hit done closing the Make Mosaic dialog box.
9. Next, I went to Effects > Apply Surface Texture and under Using I chose the Mosaic Mask and adjusted the lighting effects as I desired to give the tiles a 3D look.
10. At this point I saved the image as a JPG and opened it in Photoshop 7 along with the original.
11. With the mosaic image active I used the move tool to drag it to the original while holding down the shift key.
12. On the mosaic layer I changed the blend mode to Pen Light and lowered the opacity to 75%

DJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-05-bridge-mo.jpg (79.3 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2002, 09:47 PM

Bridge

Excellent DJ!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2002, 09:55 PM

Thanks Woody,
After seeing your work and every one elses in these mini challenges I had some tough acts to follow. I have really enjoyed these challenge entries so much. Love all the talent you guys have.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2002, 11:49 PM

Talking

I've got Painter 5, but I read somewhere here that this mosaic (which I was impressed with as well!) works with anything 4 and above, so NOW I'm going to have to try it, using your words here as a guide (because I don't know how to do it otherwise!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 12:23 AM

Just beautiful, DJ Glad to see you getting in on the action!! I'm going to scrutinize your directions that's for sure. Very pretty Hey, I can use smilies

Wanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 12:55 AM

very effective image .... mosaicaly speaking

tom c

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Blacknight,
Painter 5 should be the same. We don't usually get much for Painter here so that's why I really tried to make some detailed instructions. I'm taking the online classes in Painter 7 because I really needed it. Tried figuring things out on my own and was missing all the hidden goodies. The course I'm taking is through VTC Online University and it's $99 for 12 Quick Time movies. It's excellent value for the money. Check it out here if you're interested. There's many other software classes available and the amount you get for the money is fantastic. Plus you can work along side the Quick Time video. They offer 3 chapters free to try out and see if you like it.

Wanda,
It's nice to finally get back in action again. Thanks for the encouraging words. And you do smilies very well. :Lol:

Tom
Thank you. Seeing so many of your wonderful mini art challenges really got me eager to try my own. They're really fun and a nice diversion from the basic restorations.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 01:31 PM

Bridge#5 entry #2

After looking a DJ's fine mosiac effect, I went to PSP 7 and converted using effects/sculpture. Here's the result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge#5_sculp_6x4.jpg (92.9 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 01:34 PM

What a neat effect. It looks like it's been etched into a stucco wall.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2002, 10:18 PM

This is my first attempt in the mini challenges......so be gentle on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-05-bridge_kb.jpg (96.0 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges