RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #11 - Granddaughter of Jim Caffrey

Old 08-12-2002, 01:26 AM

Virtual Painter - Rectangles effect

Mystery solved...

I wuz barking up the wrong tree. I thought it had to be a Paint Shop Pro filter that Ken used.

Not true.

It's the Rectangles effect within the Jasc Virtual Painter (plugin) that he used. Its built-in intelligence detects blocks of similar colors and edges, and sizes rectangles accordingly.

Ken: You just made my day! Thanks. You may not be able to take credit for how the filter works, but you sure can take credit for using it and posting the results.

Shoot: I never knew VP could do this.

I was so inspired by this discovery that I generated another version. Using an image based on Paint Engine and Photoshop's Dry Brush, the VP Rectangles effect was applied to a copy of the final layer. The VP layer was then Embossed and the blend mode set to Overlay. The effect was "painted in" via a layer mask.

- - - -
Phil:

I'm sure you could do something like this with PS Mosaic filter on multiple layers with layer masks, but it would sure be a headache to customize for each image.

- - - -
One thing's for sure: I had FUN tonight on this one.

Cheers...

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-11-jim\'s-granddaughter-dannyr3.jpg (55.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 04:48 AM

Very cool Danny, I was surprized in the filter too, I haven't made much use of it yet and I've had it awhile now.

Last edited by KenB; 08-12-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:02 PM

Granddaughter

Smart Blur: R=68, T=28
Texturizer: S=50, R=2, Light=btm lft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granddaughter copy.jpg (70.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-13-2002, 08:45 PM

Here is my efforts with this mini challenge... I used Photo Impact 7 and one of the available (from PI users) tasks, similar to PS actions.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:50 PM

Don't know what happened...

with my last post, but it didn't upload my image for the challenge. I'm trying it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-chal-11a.jpg (84.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-14-2002, 11:14 AM

I can hardly believe this is actually my first posting of a mini-art challenge. I've been enjoying all the wonderful submissions and hope to participate more in the future. So, here's a short description (as if anything I do is short - ha ha)...

I used my tried and true method of duplicated the layer. Selected all on dup layer and inverted. Then change mode to grayscale mode without flattening the layers. Change blending mode to Color Dodge and then Filter Blur Gaussian blur until I like the result. To clean up areas I thought were over saturated with this method - I used the color dropper and chose the white areas to match. Then I used the airbrush and cleaned up what I didn't want. After that, I changed back to RGB mode. Saved the picture naming it Grandaughter charcol. Then I opened the original - selected all, copy and pasted into the grandaughter charcol image. Then changed the blend mode to one that worked. In this case hard light - most time I use soft. After that, I used select color range and chose the darkened areas. I applied a filter , brush stroke cross hatch to these areas to soften the image and make it more like a drawing. The last stage was to save it and open it over in Painter 7. I fooled around with the oil brushes and then - that was that! Did I say something about a short description???

Lisa
P.S. Miss you guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandaughter-painted.jpg (98.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-14-2002, 11:18 AM

Granddaughter

Nice work Lisa!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:37 AM

Beautiful, Lisa, I love it

Wanda
Old 08-14-2002, 11:51 AM

Jim, beautiful grandaugher Thanks for the opportunity! I painted the photo in Painter Classic using, just add water brush. Opened in PS, dupe, circular vignette, mask, painted until the subject was almost uncovered. Opened in Painter Classic, selected the subject with lasso tool, fill, granite, scale, 360%, opacity, I think around 15%. She's not as refined as I would like, but I see I will never get it posted if I don't do it now!! At the moment my peach trees are calling me, and I have to make jam. Lots of it!! Thanks, Danny for the mini-art challenges

Wanda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-art #11.jpg (32.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-15-2002, 12:14 AM

Very nice, Lisa. The charcoal look is perfect for the mood of the picture.

Gene

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges