RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #11 - Granddaughter of Jim Caffrey

Old 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM

A Young Mona Lisa

I guess what I liked most was her smile....

This is all done in Photoshop CS.

I started out by touching up her eyes, lips, and eyebrows with the rubber stamp tool.

Next, I used Dave's Simplifier Action (available at http://atncentral.com/download.htm), lowered the opacity of the simplifier layer to 40%, then flattened the image.

I made 2 duplicate layers, then turned off the visibility of the top layer and selected the middle layer.

In the middle layer, I chose Filter>Brush Strokes>Angled Strokes 50-4-3, and set this layer to Hard Light Blend Mode.

Next I selected the top layer and applied the MS Impressionist Filter, using the Natural:Gauze Underlay Style, and changed the brush size to 58%.Then I set this layer to Overlay Blend Mode, at 85% opacity.

After that, just a little touch-up with the rubber stamp and dodge tools, and flattened the image.

I was going for the rich but aged look of an old classic painting.

What a lovely young lady.

This is my first post on RetouchPro.... be kind :-)

Sharon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-Young-Mona-Lisa.jpg (98.6 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2004, 07:32 PM

Sharon--here's an unofficial welcome (Danny's out of town for a few days). It's great to see new people and new ideas. Thumbs up on both the art and explaining how you did it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2004, 11:17 PM

Thank You!

I like this place.....nice people and tons of good ideas. I have been learning a lot here.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 PM

nature girl

Wow lots of great examples... Though I have to learn to check the dates on these.. this one seems to be an old one oops
but still fun

I too am newish to submitting, though I do love Art Tag!! Wink Wink .. you should all give it a try... Come find us in the Studio

ok nuff of that campaigning for more players

heres my attempt at this fun project..

Ok I have never been good at keeping track of what I do to an image...
taking time to take note never seems to come naturally during the creative process...

So bare with me as I try to explain a bit

I tried to stay away from filters as I rely on them a lot some times. So only filter used is G.Blur.
I relied this time on layers, inverting, layer styles, curve and opacity. 12 layers later but only 7 in use I got this result.
The textures on the body and back ground is an image I got of a tree trunk really close up, her hair is a close up of a large bush, had a nature theme going here

that's it,
Sorry again for a lack of real details, going to try creating actions so to have a record of
the path I take

Kissed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 layers later x3.jpg (92.9 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2004, 07:54 PM

the magic of granddaughters

I tried to add magic to this portrait. First buzz slightly, then xero lithograph on one layer and another with VP pointillism.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granddaughter.jpg (74.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 09:45 PM

Photofixer: A big ditto on what Cheryl said; it's always great to have new folks join us. There's always room in the pool. Appreciate the "how to" info, too.

- - - - - - -

Kissed:

Very, very nice and no problem creating w/o filters and plugins. Yours is a very refreshing and creative approach.

Also, it's perfectly okay to take a swipe at older threads. None of these ever expire = there's always one to try. If you see one you like, give it a go.

- - - - - - -

Amy: You just keep getting better and better the more you do this stuff. It's fun to watch you spread your wings and continue to grow.

- - - - - - -

CH: Thanks for pinch hitting for me. Ya done good!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2004, 03:52 AM

Historical note:

This photo was contributed by Jim Caffrey, one of the charter members of this forum. Although Jim passed away about a year ago, his artwork lives on here at RetouchPRO. Do a search via his profile and check out some of his beautiful creations.

- - - - - - - - - -

It's been awhile since I looked through this thread and was amused by my earlier contributions. I'm happier with the results I got with this set of interpretations than the ones posted before. I can honestly see that my "style" (if you can call it that) is maturing, which is a good thing, I guess.

I used the Microsoft Impressionist plugin, Virtual Painter plugin and common Photoshop filters to generate several layers, which were blended and combined using layer masks and layer blend modes. See the Layers Palette snapshot for the details. Don't hesitate to ask (or send e-mail or PM) if you have questions.

The first version was intended to look like a chalk sketch. (In the Layers Palette snapshot, this is layer "I.")

The second version was rendered by applying the Virtual Painter Oil Painting effect on layer "I." (This was a CherylH suggestion and I really like the Watercolor-like, smudged effect.) Although it looked pretty cool in grayscale, I added color just for something different: Duplicated the original Background, dragged it to the top of the layer stack, changed the blend mode to Color and lowered the opacity.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jims-Granddaughter-djr-LP.jpg (53.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Jims-Granddaughter-djr-chalk-sketch.jpg (72.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Jims-Granddaughter-djr-WC.jpg (62.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2004, 12:15 PM

Extensis Intellihance Pro Soft Enhance
Xero Fuzzifier
Dave's Simplifier (Last Half)
Changed Opacity to 50%

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Girl.jpg (90.9 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 12:42 PM

I like what i did ..she looks like a sweet senorita (at least to me!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim'sgrdaughter-web.jpg (32.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 03:22 AM

Here's another done with my favorite toys...ps7, impressionist, virtual p., buzz. Layers Palette shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim'sgrdaughter-web1.jpg (31.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg granddaugh-pal1.jpg (30.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges