RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #14 - Gazing Model

Old 08-17-2002, 12:47 PM

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category.

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
* It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
* Everyone who participates is a winner.
* There’s no expiration date.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I thought this image had definite possibilities for a mini-challenge. 'Nuff said.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Guidelines:
1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
. * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
. * Add elements from other images (collage)
. * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
. * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins

Bottom line:
How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK. Time to put on your creativity caps...

Look forward to seeing more of your magic.

Keep having FUN in the mean time.

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-14-gazing-model.jpg (58.5 KB, 458 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 09:20 PM

Talking

Emboss filter on background layer copy (top layer). Blend mode to PS7'S Linear Light.

Curves. levels, and hue/sat on original (bottom) layer until I liked it.

Not overly complicated but I thought it interesting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg model.jpg (81.4 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 09:33 PM

First Try at Painter 7.0

Well, it's hardly an original masterpiece, but at least I finally got up the nerve to do something with my new Painter 7.0.

I painted over the photo with Painter 7.0 clone brushes, along with some regular brushes to add more pink to the flowers (most of which got cropped away to get this pic down to legal size ). I didn't like the dark gray between her and the flowers, so I brushed in some leaves with Painter's leaf pattern then painted over them with oils.

I mostly used Painter's "smeary" brushes--bristle for hair, and soft camel for face. The collar on the sweater was made with the appropriately named "furry" brush, which, in clone mode, uses the colors of the picture under the stroke. After I made the collar, the hair was covered with pink furries, so I had to paint in new hair, again in clone mode to use the color from the original hair.

After I painted it I opened it in Photoshop and gave it some fine tuning and added a bit of KPT "electrify" to soften shadows and give it a glow.

If I were to do this again, I would let some of the sweater fur overlap the hair, and I'd crop it and enlarge it FIRST, so the paint texture wouldn't get lost in the end process.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini14pstewart.jpg (54.2 KB, 284 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 09:39 AM

pstewart, I really like what you did. I wish I had half your talent.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 10:28 AM

Phyllis
If you're just starting with painter... wow! looks like you've been at it for a long time.Excellent rendition.
tom c
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 11:20 AM

Beautiful Phyllis!

Since I don't have Painter and am pretty much clueless, can you please explain what a "clone brush" is? Does it take the color under the brush and use it as you paint?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Beautiful Phyllis!

Since I don't have Painter and am pretty much clueless, can you please explain what a "clone brush" is? Does it take the color under the brush and use it as you paint?

Jeanie
You can set it to use different sources for the paint colors, but usually you use the original picture as the source of color. As you brush over the picture the clone brushes work by 1) smearing the colors together, 2) adding impasto (texture), or 3) both. There are tons of brush styles to choose from, and, if you smear it up too badly, you simply switch to a special featureless brush that clones back that part of the picture in its original state, then do that section over.

Painter's "cloning" is a wonderful feature. It alone makes Painter worth the cost of admission in my opinion. We "non-painters" can cheat up a storm, while the real artists like Fugitive etal have that much more to work with! I highly recommend the purchase--if you have a LOT of free time to study and practice! It has so many features and variations that you can easily get lost in the maze.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 06:36 PM

Excellent work Phyllis. Very nice job.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 07:19 PM

Hmmm - I just might be able to do something with the Painter clone brush! That sounds really intriguing.

Unfortunately, I don't have any free time for the next month or so - much less lots of it! Perhaps someday I'll have both the funds to buy it and the time to play around with it. Seems like that clone brush might really help in cleaning up "grainy" faces photos.

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 07:39 PM

This consisted of two layers:
One for the model which I made to look like watercolor.
Second everything else which i hope looks like oil painting.
Both layers using history brush tool after converting to line art.
If I had to do the background over I would have eliminated poster edge filter.
The thick paint was achieved using lighting effects directional type, 17 texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini_chall#14_ag.jpg (84.7 KB, 270 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges