RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #13 - Brooklyn in the Summer

Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM

My Attempt with Painter IX.1

This is my attempt at this photo - a sort of "line and wash" watercolor. This is my first attempt here, so I hope the post works.

--Tom Thurston
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-13-brooklyn-street Painter IX.jpg (96.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM

May be your first time out, Tom, but your version is lovely. How did you get the "wash" look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThurston
This is my attempt at this photo - a sort of "line and wash" watercolor. This is my first attempt here, so I hope the post works.

--Tom Thurston
Very much like this one Tom. Did you hand trace the lines, or use a filter for this? If filter, what filter? This is the look that I would like to achieve (but with filters of course since I'm lazy).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 PM

From a Brooklynite

You're right, it does look like it could be in Brooklyn. It looks like Park Slope, where I used to live. Now I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I decided to make your summer Brooklyn half Park Slope, and my bridge half Williamsburg. I suppose it's what Williamsburg would look like if all the hipsters would grow up, put down their guitars, spray paint, and rock hair, and buy dockers.

First, I made a duplicate layer of the original and then added a photo of the Williamsburg Bridge on a layer below that. I used a layer mask and just painted in B&W to blend the 2 layers. Then I adjusted the curves on both layers to match, since my bridge photo was taken in the February rain. Since there is a weird glow in summer in Brooklyn (must be because of Radiac) I made a 50% gray fill layer and applied a lense flare filter to that. Then I used levels and layer opacity to settle the lense flare layer into the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooklyn.jpg (96.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 PM

Quick and simple. Edges > cutout > fidling with levels and whatnot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment-1.jpg (97.4 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 AM

One-minute-filter-playaround.
I'll try to translate the filter i've used from Swedish PS.
I used four filter from filter-gallery:
-glas
-texturize
-pastelchalk
-sprayed stroke

Hope that translation make any sence.

Finally I saturated whole picture.

*/ lazze_gurra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lazze_gurra-brooklyn-stre.jpg (74.3 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 AM

Tom Thurston,
I would also like to know step by step how you did.

*/ lazze_gurra
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 AM

TThurston,

I'm w/lazze_gurra. I'm making a poster and that technique would fit right in to what I had in mind. BTW, how do you like Corel Painter IX.1?

-LF
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Painter IX.1 Technique

Several have asked how I did my version. I'm sorry, it's not filters but lots of work by hand in Painter IX.1 (which I like very much). The ink lines are all freely traced by hand using Painter's Scratchboard brush. The color wash is on a separate layer beneath the ink layer, mostly using a Digital Watercolor wash brush with varying levels of diffusion. It actually didn't take all that long for most of the picture. The only real time-consuming part was the all foliage. In retrospect, I think put in too much time there, and the picture would be better with if the foliage was not quite so busy.

-Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThurston
Several have asked how I did my version. I'm sorry, it's not filters but lots of work by hand in Painter IX.1 (which I like very much). The ink lines are all freely traced by hand using Painter's Scratchboard brush. The color wash is on a separate layer beneath the ink layer, mostly using a Digital Watercolor wash brush with varying levels of diffusion. It actually didn't take all that long for most of the picture. The only real time-consuming part was the all foliage. In retrospect, I think put in too much time there, and the picture would be better with if the foliage was not quite so busy.

-Tom
Yup; still can't beat an hand drawing. I know you spent a lot of time and the result was excellent. I'm the lazy man of this thread (well, Craig and I are competing for the title anyway) .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges