RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #26 - George's Hummingbird

Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyRaphael
PHIL:

I need a Mac lesson.
a. Maximum length of a Mac filename is what: 31? 32 characters?
b. Does MAC/PS require action files to have the .atn suffix (hence the need to add the trailing "n")?
Well, take that filename as it appears in its default mode upon download and whatever that is is apparently the maximum (minus the final n at the end if YOU can see it). As for whether or not MACs can recognize it without the final n I don't really know, but I could experiment, I guess. I usually try to keep all extension names the same because if I want to do a search for all actions, for instance, I can do the .atn thing and get them all. Probably just anal of me (I do tend toward that - not altogether a BAD trait in a graphic artist!) to add it in its entirety.

AND I run OS 9.1 - this could very well have changed in the new OSX, but lots of MAC users are still running the "older" OS's, I know (like some people haven't gone to PS7 - ha!) and might like to know there is a filename limit in those versions. I think the REALLY older versions of the OS had an even shorter filename limit.

Hows THIS for way more than you asked for?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2002, 11:35 AM

thank you black knight

Thank you for the information, never to detailed for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2002, 05:28 PM

George's Hummingbird

George’s Hummingbird

This is just like looking out of my kitchen window … Hummingbirds are beautiful and I spend a lot of time watching them ….

Duplicate

Select a wing and put it in own layer > New > layer Via Copy … Select that wing two more times … labeling the selection upper and lower wing … go to edit > Free Transform and select the wing and position it either above or below the initial wing … you have to adjust the layers so that the wings are in their proper position, either above or below.

Select Filter > Blur > Blur Motion and blur the top and lower wings to indicate motion. You may also adjust opacity to get the effect you want. Do the same for the other wing.

Select the body of the bird and put it into it’s own layer … select Filter > Artistic > Dry Brush, Brush size - 2, Brush Detail - 8 and Texture - 2.

Select the Flowers and select Filter > Artistic > Paint Daubs, Brush Size - 5, Sharpness - 7 and Brush Type - Simple.

Select Filter > Render > Lighting Effects, Style - Soft Spotlight and Light Type- Spot Light.

Flatten

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg george\'shummung bird copy.jpg (73.3 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2002, 06:56 PM

I put the flowers, hummingbird, and backround on separate layers. Added a little drop shadow to the hbird and flowers. Put a little weavy texture in the backround and added a white beveled frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummingbird-copy.jpg (98.3 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 09:13 AM

Wow, so many beautiful interpretations to this image! Nice work everyone.

For mine, I:
1. added sunset background (actually a sunrise, but who's gonna know ).
2. Knocked out the bird and flower from the background; placed the bird on a separate layer and resized and repositioned it into the flower.
3. Did some edge enhancement and posterizing to get the drawn effect, then desaturated the result. Placed a copy of the non-posterized bird and flower over the posterized layer and set to color blending mode, then cranked up the saturation on that color layer. Added one more copy of the non-posterized layer on top and set to soft light blending mode.
4. Merged and added lens flare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummingbird_sunset.jpg (99.9 KB, 156 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 02:37 PM

Hummmmmmm...

VisualEyes, great effect!

Here is my attempt. I selected the background and brought out the variations in color with cutout filter, then spun it with radial blur filter, adjusted color a bit, then merged and spun it again lightly to move some of the flower/bird edges onto the background as well.

Phyllis
www.innographx.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26 hummingbird.jpg (63.1 KB, 117 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:38 PM

Talking

VisualEyes, I am NOW going to be hard pressed to decide whose versions of art I select to view first - yours or pstewart's. Very nicely done. I wish I had thought of that in addition to what I did. hmmm - perhaps a moonrise...

To be fair, I think I'll just view them in order posted.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:51 PM

There's so much talent here, it's a shame we can't harness it to do good for all mankind. But since that's impossible, we can go and create our own utopia here where there is nothing we can't adjust, solve, or fix.

This my version of the humming bird. I find this one pleasing. I started out with the original and removed the flower and the bird from the backround. Then I applied an art filter-I don't remember which one. And then adjusted the saturation and created several layers with different colors as if they were a glaze. I removed the excess glaze slowly until I got the effect I wanted. I then applied the high pass filter. And then I created one last layer, giving it a slight gray and pink wash, and finally adjusting the opacity until it was pleasing. I will also upload gray scale version in a little while. It has an interesting pencil drawing feel to it. Thank you all.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummer art.jpg (59.2 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:58 PM

Ha! I'd actually logged in to post a message saying that I'd really like to see what Trimoon would do with this image. And here it is!

Great image - and I'm sure that all of us who've tried following your mini-tutorial will know that it is NOT easy to achieve results that are even in the same ballpark as yours. You really produce inspiring work, in every sense of the term.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 05:04 PM

This version of the hummingbird is a cross between a burning effect and tortoise shell. It’s quite easy to do. All I did was take my previous color hummer and, using the channel mixer, I gray scaled it. I then created a new layer, Fill with white and set the layer blend mode to screen and, using the burn tool set at opacity 20%, I slowly brushed in the effect that you see in the attachment. I thought it was cool.

Note: I’m working all the bugs out, don’t use this yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burning.jpg (53.9 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Trimoon; 09-20-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges