RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #26 - George's Hummingbird

Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 AM

Let's have some more action!

PhotoShop CS

1. Duplicated bacground layer and, from this, isolated the bird to a layer of its own
2. Made a selection of the bird and copied that six times (total 7 bird layers)
3. Moved sucessive layers of the bird to the right leaving the original bird in place on top and arranging the moved layers behind each other.
4. Merged the 6 "motion" layers, deleted the bird's beak "motion" (at the front part of the head) duplicated this layer and again moved the duplicate to the right and behind the first motion layer. Merged the motion layers together.
5. Added a gradient mask to fade the motion layer off to the right. Set the opacity to 79% blending mode, Normal
6. Duplicated the motion layer (and Mask) and placed below the first motion layer and set blending mode for Luminosity to beef up the highlights.

Fun project!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-hum.jpg (34.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 AM

Nice work, byRo!! Great balance in your rendering!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 AM

Alfredo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo
I just love that effect. I like all of the images, but yours hit something in me. Sparking emotions is what it is all about.

I am humbled by all of you guys and gals.
Thank you so much, Alfredo. And sorry to have taken so long to respond, i only just opened this thread. You are SO RIGHT. Eventually, thats what it's all about..sparking emotions. Isnt life wonderful?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Thank you so much, Alfredo. And sorry to have taken so long to respond, i only just opened this thread. You are SO RIGHT. Eventually, thats what it's all about..sparking emotions. Isnt life wonderful?

Njinski caused riots with his interpretation of "Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Fawn." US diplomats refused to be photographed/filmed in front of Picasso's "Guernica " because it was a reminder of the horrors of war.
Just the mention of Maplethorpe causes some to break out in hives.

If they hadn't caused some discussion, some emotion, either positive or negative they would have failed as works of art.

Yep, life is wonderful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 02:35 PM

dee dee, i think it was your image that inspired me to do another animation. i was going to do more with this one, but it's a LOT of work and since no one is paying me.... now, if someone wants to pay me

the original was twice as big in frame size, but to get the file size smaller and to get the wings to flap faster, i had to cut it down. i'm afraid paint shop pro's animation shop will only allow down to 100th's of a second as opposed to 1/1000th's like i'd want, so the wings dont flap nearly as fast as a true hummingbird's, but it's not too bad.

Craig

edit: oh good lord. the wings are ponderously slow when posted here well, maybe it you download it and have an animation browser you can see it faster.

edit: i uploaded this to my remote site to see if when linking to it here it would display the wing motion faster. http://mizus.com/kraellin/hummingbird-1a.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif hummingbird-1a.gif (87.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 08-16-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Craig

Glad to be of inspiration! :-) That is really a great animation, Craig! wonderful stuff. I've never tried moving pixels like that, I just push 'em around in 2D on flat paper
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 03:07 PM

thank you, dee dee

i just want to jump into my monitor and make those wings go faster, but alas...

like i say, i was going to move the whole bird and change his angle so he'd dip into the flower and move back out, but once i ran the first test and saw how slow the wings move, i got discouraged and there's just no way i can make em move faster with what i have to work with currently.

i have found a pretty good deal on macromedia studio mx 2004, so maybe...

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 AM

I clipped out the background and inserted some clouds. I tightened things up a bit by moving the hummer closer to the flowers. I used the smudge tool a lot to give it a brush stroke effect. Messed around some with the colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummer.jpg (42.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 PM

Nice Screenie! I really like the lighter background than the original green. It really makes the flower and bird pop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Nice Screenie! I really like the lighter background than the original green. It really makes the flower and bird pop.
Ditto what Swampy said. The smudge texturing is supurb.

Well done.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges