RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #31 – Yellow-pink Rose

Old 10-03-2002, 03:10 PM

KenB, beautiful! I picture your creation in a victorian frame

Phyllis, gorgeous as usual, do you ever do anything half way

It certainly seems the rose is a big hit. Everyone has done such an outstanding job on this one. Love viewing them all. Thanks! And thank you Danny.

Wanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 04:33 PM

I'm just speechless

This has turned into one of those special, positively an incredible threads. You guys and gals are just awesome.

Gotta confess that I struggle sometimes while engaged in the process of (hopefully) coming up with "interesting" base images, never knowing if a particular mini-challenge is going to "get any responses."

Guess maybe a single rose once in awhile might not be a bad idea! I'll queue one up down the road.

Again, thanks to everyone who takes the time and effort to not only post an image (or two or three), but to comment as well. Doing so makes these little endeavors fun, interesting and educational. Participation in whatever form it takes is always greatly appreciated.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 01:20 AM

Grandma's Slipcovers

Just playing around with the pic and found that inverted 'find edges' blended over the rose in soft light mode resulted in these colors, which reminded me of old slipcovers, so I added some fabric texture to finish the look.

Note: I have edited this with correct filter and mode types.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slipcovers.jpg (78.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 10-04-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 AM

Phyllis, beautiful Makes you want to reach out and touch it!! It reminds me of slipcovers too. Thank you for sharing how you did this. This is REALLY wonderful I'm waiting for another entry

Wanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 10:04 AM

This is the result of trying out the techniques in Antonio Geuvara's excellent Water Color Tutorial. If you haven't tried it, it's very much worth the effort.

After arriving at a "painterly" effect I decided the image needed more punch so I added an Overlay Layer of Find Edges. To add the brush stokes, I created a new layer, added "Bad Brush" from the Paint Engine Plug-in, saved that image as a texture file (psd), deleted the layer to which I had just applied Paint Engine, and then applied the texture file over my image with the texturizer.

I hope that makes sense.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg secondrose.jpg (46.6 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 04:03 PM

Colored Pencil Rose

Jim, I love your textured watercolor. The effect you achieved is almost like a palette knife painting...reminds me of one my mom had years ago in fact.
-------

For this attempt I placed the rose over a solid white layer and tried painting on a mask in black, white, gray with textured brushes instead of using the art history brush. I haven't decided which method is easier or better or if there's any difference. Does anyone with more experience in PS painting have opinions on the pros and cons of either?

Anyhow, this looks like a cross between colored pencil and crayon on rough paper. I hope.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colored_pencil.jpg (61.0 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 04:58 PM

JBCaffrey - Nice results. Looks like pallete knife painting with loads of heavy pigment.

Phyllis - Great effect as colored pencil rendition. I'm no expert but it works for me. I also like drop shadow.

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 12:19 PM

Rose

Hey all,

This is attempt number two, seems I have a lot in common with Forest Gump. My goal with this picture was to give it a soft pastel effect, but not too soft. I started by duplicating the picture and masking out the flower to another layer. I then used the Art history brush in conjunction with some of the art filters in Photoshop 7. Between the flower mask and the background copy I inserted a blank layer and did a pastel gradient, from the bottom left to the top right. I used about a 40% opacity. To brighten up the background as well as the flower I used various Nik filters (sunshine, classical blur, skylight), and painted them in until I got the look I wanted. Some highlights were also painted in on the flower and shadows were enhanced as well. I added a small amount of noise (three maybe) to bring out some additonal detail. After I had the colors right I applied some sharpening with the Nik sharpener to certain areas of the flower (the setting recommended for printing injet), then I applied the same sharpening to the entire picture as a fill to enhance the contrast a bit. I forgot most of what I did, but I think the idea is somewhere in this message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-31-yellow-pink-rose0.jpg (87.1 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 02:31 AM

Looker, that is excellent. I love the subtle texture, especially along the edges of the petals--gives it a painted look without being too heavy handed.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 07:02 PM

Wow this challenge really took off. I love all this art stuff. I keep trying and trying and I know one day I'll make something like this too. I think in too many straight lines. great jobs all.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges