RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #31 – Yellow-pink Rose

Old 11-23-2002, 09:00 PM

Yellow-Orange Rose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andrews-yellow-orange-rose.jpg (98.3 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2002, 09:07 PM

Hi Andrew,

both of those are really nice! what did you to to get the effect on the photo?

- David

Last edited by d_kendal; 11-24-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 03:00 PM

I did not keep good track of my steps, and now I wish I did. But in looking at layers, this is what I think I did.

Initial steps
1. buZZ demo Soft Colour Wash preset. Copied this layer 14 times, all set to multiply.
2. Then back to original image and buZZ demo using Pure Colour Wash preset. Put 3 of these set to multiply on top.
3. Placed a flattened version this set to linear burn, over a new layer filled with sky blue. Placed flattened version of this on top of the stack.
4. Made a tight oval selection around the rose. Copy to new layer. Moved this slightly up and left. Set layer to Hue blending mode.
5. Made a copy of the layer from which I selected the oval, and put this above the oval layer, and set it to hue. Placed a flattened version of this on top of the stack.
6. Andromeda Techtures filter. Under Bold Color, the second one down from the top left corner. (If you don't have this filter, just leave this out. The look will be slightly different, but you also won't have to do the Painter step later).

Rustic Rose
0. Started with result of initial steps.
1. Filled new layer light brown (RGB 199, 178, 153). Set to Hue. Reduced Opacity. Flatten.
2. In Procreate Painter 7 Trial Version, I used the Just Add Water brush and smooth the color noise created by Andromeda Techtures.
3. Back in Photoshop, did touchup and added some shading using clone tool.
4. New layer above filled with neutral gray. Photoshop Texturizer, Canvas.
5. Reduced opacity of gray layer with texture until I could only barely see canvas texture.

Yellow-Orange Rose
0. Started with result of initial steps.
1. In Procreate Painter 7 Trial Verison, I used the Just Add Water brush and smooth the color noise created by Andromeda Techtures.
2. Copied to two new layers, both set to screen.
3. Took flattened version of this. Made a copy to new layer, set to multiply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 03:28 PM

Andrew, sounds like you put a lot of work/steps into that picture. It paid off, too...looks great!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Phyllis. It was one of those pictures where I wondered down one path, moved back, took a different path, moved back -- not sure which way to go. That's how I ended up with two pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 02:16 AM

I was playing around with a tutorial at myjanee.com and decided to try applying it to a photo. Seemed like this flower would be a good candidate.

So, I used the basic form, but applied it as a mask to the photo. Then continued with the steps to twirl and flip. I also added some bevel/emboss to each layer before flattening.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-31-jsa.jpg (94.1 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 03:15 AM

OOoooooo, Jeanie, I love it! I am a big fan of geometric art, as you can probably guess from my love of kaleidoscope images.

Isn't Janee's web page wonderful! She is so creative. I love the look of her web site...one of the best I've ever seen. It's so artistic, like everything else she does.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 11:37 AM

Thanks Phyllis. I love geometric art too. I recently started learning "unit origami", which is essentially building geometric forms out of folded papers, e.g. 30 pieces of paper are used to make a stellated icosahedron. Really neat stuff! Anyway, when I saw the tutorial for "spirals" on Janee's site, I just had to try it out! Of course then I had to figure out how I could apply it to a photo. I think I'm going to try her snowflake tutorial next.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 12:12 PM

Isn't Janee's web page wonderful! She is so creative. I love the look of her web site...one of the best I've ever seen. It's so artistic, like everything else she does.

Phyllis [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeh, she certainly seems popular. She's always hanging around in the newsgroups "alt.graphics.photoshop" and "comps.graphics.apps.photoshop". A very helpful lady!
Well worth a look for those that don't already read newsgroups.
Frank
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 10:58 PM

Hi Jeanie. I think your picture looks great. I love the way the colors blend into the pattern.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges