RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #51- Village in Europe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2002, 05:44 PM

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This is another image courtesy of www.FreeImage.com. See NOTE below for details; if you have not visited this site before, by all means check it out.

Can't tell you what country this is, but it's beautiful, isn't it? Look forward to visiting Europe someday. In the mean time I'll have to settle for your creative renditions.

Have fun on this one.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -

NOTE:
Use of this image is subject to conditions set forth at www.FreeFoto.com and is copyrighted (c) by Ian Britton, site owner / administrator. Ian has graciously authorized use of images from his site for our mini-challenges.

- - - - - - - - - - -
INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
* It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
* Everyone who participates is a winner.
* There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
. * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
. * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
. * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
. * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
. * Feeling animated? A little smoke coming out of a chimney?
. * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-51-ff-village in europe.jpg (96.7 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-18-2002 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:44 PM

Village at Dusk

This picture lends itself to a delicate watercolor or sketch in soft pastels, so I decided to go the opposite way and darken it and remove most of the texture and fine detail. It's supposed to be dusk and the porchlight has been turned on...the porchlight that was originally a hanging flower basket that is.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg village_dusk.jpg (83.3 KB, 235 views)
Old 10-09-2002, 01:02 PM

I like this one a lot, PS. Very European.

Nice way to get this thread rollin'.

~Danny~
Old 10-09-2002, 03:21 PM

Started this one out in PhotoArtMaster and produced a monochrome sketch. Then went back to Photoshop and faded the original picture into the sketch to add some color. Finally, I saved the original picture as a pattern and then, using the pattern stamp, added back in a small amount of detail.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg village.jpg (31.3 KB, 214 views)
Old 10-09-2002, 03:43 PM

Jim:

Very nice - that is how I think of these villiages in my mind.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:59 AM

Something that bothered me was that large expanse of roof.
I wrapped it in Plastic first to give it more interest. Then posterized the cobblestones to keep them "cobbly".
Then ran either PS Dust & Scratches or the Polaroid D&S, don't remember.
A little bit of dodging.
This is a bit of an hommage to the stories my father used to tell about his European home...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mc33village1op.jpg (66.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 10-10-2002, 10:12 AM

Agree about the large expanse of roof - so I decided to corrupt it - along with everything else...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg villiage 2.jpg (66.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 10-10-2002, 10:54 AM

Here is a cartoony look, resulting from experiments with importing the black channel from CMYK under the original RGB layer, then Stamping it and converting the original RGB layer to color mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-33.jpg (99.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 10-10-2002, 10:55 AM

This is experimenting with a more textured effect. Colors and shadows were enhanced in PS with multiple color layers and Accent Edges filter, then the texture was added in Stoik Pictureman using patches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-33-village.jpg (99.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 10-10-2002, 10:58 AM

looks great Truman, I especially like the effect you got on the second one. I checked out the PictureMan program you mentioned on google and it looks really interesting.

- David
Old 10-10-2002, 11:26 AM

visual eyes

The second one done with pictureman, outstanding, would like to know more about the overall techniques you used.
It really looks like an oil painting and calls out to be framed imediately, extremely well done in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:42 AM

Mamagator, wonderful mix of filters. I use those same filters and techniques a lot but never thought to put them together as you did...very imaginative. And I just love the effect you achieved!

Toad, looks like the sponge filter helped in your treatment. I like the addition of detail on the roof...balances the excess detail in the brick. You "turned it on its head" as they say, and the overall effect is "just right." (I love it when folks do the unexpected!)

Truman, you used my favorite filter in your first one, right? (Love that anisotropic diffuse!!!) The second one is really unusual, and gorgeous. I like the way your work is always different...lots of variety in your techniques and art styles. You'd never know your pics were by the same person!

I too want to know more about Pictureman. You got a truly beautiful effect with it in pic #2.

Phyllis
Old 10-10-2002, 11:55 AM

Thx ps:

Yes - sponge definately. Took original photo - applied a multi-step B&W action that I have been messing a lot with lately, then history brushed the color back into the photo - applied the sponge, and then pointellized the whole thing.

My goal was to "rough up" the under detailed roof without taking away from textures that the street/brick had.

Not sure I am really that happy with overall effect, however - I may take another kick at this particular cat.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
Truman, you used my favorite filter in your first one, right? (Love that anisotropic diffuse!!!)
No, actually it's a much more convoluted process where I accentuated the shadows and edges, then copied and pasted the black channel from CMYK under the original RGB and used the Stamp filter to smooth out the black outlines. I haven't had much success using anistrophic diffuse. I'm sure I'm missing something, but the effect is pretty minimal whenever I apply it, especially on larger images. Perhaps you could provide some instruction?

Quote:
I too want to know more about Pictureman. You got a truly beautiful effect with it in pic #2.
Although I've played around with it on occasion (ever since it started out as a DOS shareware application), I haven't learned nearly as much about Pictureman as I have Photoshop. I mainly break it out for an occasional special effect such as texturing with patchs or their Hand Drawing effect. I have a very old version; apparently, the more current versions have several features specific to photo-retouching. Check out http://www.stoik.com/pictureman/ .
Old 10-10-2002, 03:48 PM

The colored one I just kept applying filters and layers until I got what I wanted. I wish I could remember which filters.

Village in europe Color

Village in europe Black and White