RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #042 - *Judy's Hibiscus

Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks Kraellin and Cazubi. Your animations are a lot of fun Kraellin and everyone's renditions are so great and yet so different.
Margaret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 AM

thanks, margaret they're fun to do.

besides working on my skills and learning all these programs, i find i have to work on my discipline also. one of the hardest things for me currently, is to do these things to the level i know they could be done. the hibiscus animation is a perfect example. i know it could have been better.

in fact, here's a question for anyone and everyone: when is good, good enough? when and where do you draw the line and say, 'ok, that's good enough.'?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
in fact, here's a question for anyone and everyone: when is good, good enough? when and where do you draw the line and say, 'ok, that's good enough.'?
That's a tough one. It is possible to tweak an image over and over for months and still see many imperfections. I guess I feel I have to work to a certain level of efficiency as well as technical and sometimes artistic standards. In Photo restoration, if all technical steps have been taken(cloning, sharpening, level etc) and the image is pleasing to the eye it might be time to declare it done. For Photo art, if image is techically well executed and conveys the message intended might be time to walk away. In both cases, one could go on forever. However for me after a while an image loses its freshness and thus its interest for me, so I need to get them "done" and move on.
I wonder though how the great artists like Renoir, Picasso etc. decided that a particular work was done? If one was vastly talented, with an artistic temperament it would be doubly tough to say "done"!
Interesting question Kraellin.

Margaret M
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 PM

This is a good question. I tend to never feel it is "perfect" and if time permitted I would keep going back and and re-work over and over. When I say "done" is when I am tired of working on it, or like Margaret says it loses its "freshness" and I move on. I still go back and look at pieces and think that I could have improved the work in some area. I guess it is good to have deadlines.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 11:14 AM

ok, i can see i'm surrounded by other compulsive folks here (other than myself).

i raised this issue again because when doing that animation i was more concerned with getting it out the door than with the quality of it. i knew i could have spent a lot more time doing things like bending the leaves and stems to make it more natural looking and adding more frames for a smoother animation, but i basically just wanted to communicate the animation of it and not so much the art of it. so, i suppose i'm answering my own question here a bit, but it would seem to me that purpose or purpose of the communication would also play a part. i wasnt going to try to sell this, or post it on an art gallery or anything; my purpose was more just to show off a little bit with a little animation. so, i guess i've achieved my purpose i may still go back and redo this a bit.

and that raises another question i've been wondering about lately. i can save a file like this one in .psd and it will save all the layers and command history and so on, which is great, but one thing i cant do in paint shop pro 7.xx is insert and extract commands from the command history. i can undo X number of commands, but let's say i wanted to JUST remove one command in the middle of the history and not everything else leading back to that one command. can PS do this?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 08:16 AM

Here is my watercolor version. I used the extract tool to get rid of the background and applied some brush strokes filters while playing with the blending modes and opacity. I added a sandstone texture and then blended the original photo at the end to help sharpen up some details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-hibiscus copy.jpg (94.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 12:53 PM

JLC,

very nice!

i couldnt help wondering how that might look with a royal or dark blue background where the white is in the background currently.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Thanks!

Here's another version I did using the art history brush. I think I like this one better than the first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-hibiscus art historybrush copy.jpg (91.0 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 04:15 PM

I really wanted to make this hibicus "pop" color wise.

Can't remember all the steps, but I first isolated the hibiscus, On a new layer below using a dark and light shade of blue, I ran the clouds filter and then I used the Facet filter and the Spherize filter several times. I noticed with each application of the Spherize filter a nice oval "cameo" beginning to form. Using the circular marquis, I isolated the oval and added some noise, G bulr and a Render Lighting filter with the blue chanel set to produce the mountain textures on the oval only.

I made a duplicate of the flower layer and filled the flower with black, moved it down and right then ran a substancial G Blur to soften and create a shadow.

Did both levels and curves adjustments to make the flower a little darker. Also added a touch of bevel/emboss to accent the top edges of the leaf edges and bud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-Hibiscus.jpg (45.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (6.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 08:36 PM

ah, there's my blue background! thank you, dee dee. lovely!

JLC, i think i liked the first one better. the background on the latter doesnt give as much contrast to the red.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges