RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #44 – Alan's Butterfly

Old 10-31-2002, 03:15 AM

Drunken Butterfly?

This guy has had too much party, I think. I changed and brightened the colors, ran KPT6 "pyramid" filter to simplify the picture, then tried the KPT3 "video feedback" filter to make him dizzy. The VF filter is nice because you can adjust the angle and degree of spin, as well as the shape of the repeating pieces, so you can make it fit into just about any picture.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg partybug.jpg (82.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 10:22 AM

Looks like "Tequila Butterfly" to me, Phyllis, an event I would have preferred not to recall! Very creative technique.

Gotta agree with your observation that VE's technique was far from simple. People who are very good at their craft do that... make the difficult look simple. You know. Like you do!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 10:24 AM

This is my first post here. I made 3 copies as layers. First layer I used Palette Knife, second layer Dry Brush, third layer Smart Blur Edge only then inversed it. Set the blending mode for all three of these layers to Soft Light. Applied a canvas texture. Detailed procedure is at http://www.davrodigital.co.uk/tutori...sland-cafe.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-44-butterflypainting.jpg (96.6 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 11:02 AM

Question Butterfly

This is the first time I am here. Hi Danny. I am haveing a ball and my wife says she sick of me being on the computer, morning and nightime but the talent has me trying harder. I hope I am toning my skills and each time getting better. So here is my butterfly.

By the way it is really hard to find different ways to do this without looking like someone elses.

I used a art history brush tech I have been working on for Oil Painting which if Danny agrees it is ready I will post it. I then did a select all from the original and pasted it over the Art painting. I the adjusrted the slider for effect and used the paint brush to sharpen it. Then I added Luminocity to it. I think it gives it an artsey effect.

By the way I reviewed all postings and lik I said there so good its hard come up a comparable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterfly 2.jpg (43.4 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 01:20 PM

ART...

W E L C O M E ! Glad you joined us and jumped right in.

I, too, like the David Rowley technique. I think it's one of the better tutorials on the net. Thanks for posting the link.

This is a great place to spread your (butterfly) wings! Hopefully we'll be seeing more of your creations in the future.

- - - - - - - - - - -
PHIL:

Hey! Glad you joined our little fun gang, too! Having seen many of your creations in the past, you'll fit right in here.

Thoughts from Dr. Danny:
You can tell your wife the time you're spending on the computer these days is all MY fault... I've been tempting you with excessive rhetoric and hairbrained ideas. It's your obligation to the universe to prove them (a) right, (b) wrong or (c) improve on them! I'd say you're doing very well on (c)!

Reassure her that your hobby is keeping you out of the bars and isn't costing any additional money... except maybe a little more photo paper for the printer.

Speaking from personal experinece I'd recommend making a significant effort to spend quality time with her on a regular basis (dinner out? go for a walks together? foot massages?). If she is confident that she is more important to you than the computer, believe me, everyone will benefit!

I know what you mean about sometimes feeling a little short on ideas after looking at some of the fantastic creations submitted by others, but don't ever let that stop or discourage you, especially in this forum.

It's easy to get caught up in the comparison of your creations with those of others. Ya gotta unlearn that. Be inspired, but not intimidated. Just let it flow... and keep on growing.

One approach: Don't look at other entries until after you've finished yours.

Speaking of entries, yours is an inspired rendition, Phil. There have definitely been none like it so far -- making it very special.

- - - - - -

If you haven't yet, I would encourage each of you to pop over to
this thread in the Salon forum, where new folks can share a little bit about their backgrounds, interests, equipment, whatever.

Also, below my signature is a link to a site map which may (or may not) be helpful in finding your way around the site or discovering nooks and crannies you have not yet explored.

Lastly, if you haven't yet, check out the general site gallery (Select "Gallery" from the main menu.) Feel free to post 2-3 of your favorite creations there. It's a friendly place to get additional feedback and view some exceptional works.

Again, welcome to both of you. It's always fun to have new folks join us. Feel free to send me e-mail or Personal Mail (PM button) if you have any questions or I can be of assistance.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 10:12 PM

Lightbulb Butterflys

Well I have reviewd every bodys butterfly collection and Danny was right about the talent.

Hi Toad ( we are old friends from another forum) Great job. Every time I see new work I am ready to ask how and I think I am finally getting the nack because I can now answer 70% of my own questions. Wow thats great. How did get the distinct lines, did you use glowing edges as well as emboss?

I will remember everybody name after awhile but right now Id like to tell Trine I visited your web sight and the intro is really different, but your photography is just great, you have a good eye. I really liked the singing Gulls but I have one question how did you get them to pose.

Danny I have gone up and down this thread looking for trumans work, who is Truman, I cant find him and i went thru all five times.

I have another question, I have some of you refer to Wacom tablet, so I looked it up. Does it really help with designing and retouching in Photoshop. Ran out of space so By for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I will remember everybody name after awhile but right now Id like to tell Trine I visited your web sight and the intro is really different, but your photography is just great, you have a good eye. I really liked the singing Gulls but I have one question how did you get them to pose.
Hi Phil!

Thank you so much.
"The Devines" are after publisity, so they are not too hard to get a photo of though
Seriously though, this one gull that they all are was one of many gulls outside a fastfoodrestaurant by the sea. They are so used to find food there, the owners actually had to put up a sign "Keep a tight hold on your food, beware the gulls". A friend of our family once came out with one hotdog in each hand. ZZZZZOOOFFF, there the gull was stealing his hotdog The photo of the gull is probbly him screeming for more. You can se the original below here.

Trine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skrika.jpg (48.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 01:18 AM

Wonderful "new" filter on PS7

Phil, welcome! In answer to your question, Truman is known as Visual Eyes. His work is pretty impressive...and humbling. I am a big fan.

I think you are kidding about the "posing" birds...right?
---------

Now...guess what I found! A PS7 filter I'd never used before...the "custom" filter under "other." I am very excited about it since it has infinite possibilities. This new butterfly pic was made with a few steps, the first of which was to try a negative 1 in the upper left box in "custom" and I got a really neat look, which was even better when faded to luminosity. I then just overlaid a redder version of the butterfly I had been working on, then softened it a bit to get the excess sparkle out and resharpened with a highpass layer and brightened a bit with a partial screen layer.

Not much to it...and all from changing a zero to a negative 1! (Note: I didn't change the five center boxes, which were preset with a 5 in the middle surrounded by four negative 1's.)

Can't wait to try to do more number experiments with custom! If any turn out useful, they can be made into actions. Perhaps we could start a forum for custom filter settings. Anyone interested in trying out some settings?

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom1.jpg (87.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:06 AM

Black leaf, bright wings

I took the same filter result as above (from custom, -1) and blended it at overlay instead of luminosity, and the leaf turned black (!) while the butterfly turned reddish orange. The only thing I did to it was to desaturate and darken the remaining bit of green that stayed on the stem.

I am putting a blurb about this filter in the software-->photoshop-->favorite filters forum along with small pics of the different results from this filter setting if anyone is interested.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overlay-1.jpg (83.1 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:13 AM

Phyllis, just for the record, that filter is in previous versions of Photoshop too. At least in my 6.0. Just to let you know Never tried it before either.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges