RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #45 – Japanese Garden

Old 11-06-2002, 05:02 AM

Phyliss thats realy super effect, It really lends itsef to the picture. Nice job.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:35 PM

Question watergarden

This would be my first photo art mini-challenge, i assume this is where you place it, lol, so much to this site, i always find myself geting lost in lots of learning and figuring out.
Using photoshop, i copied the original 2 times, the 1 I did find edges, on 2 I did did dry brush, erased some of two to bring out the lines underneath, mostly on trees, painted over the plant in water, and smuged the layer to give more of a flowing affect. 3 layer, airbrushed the tree branches and trunks white. 4 layer, airbrushed black around areas. 5 layer scanned in flowers, which i had hand painted in water colors. flatten, the erased some of pic and added white to the bottom. new layer, scanned in a piece of paper soaked in tea, overlay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watergarden1.jpg (64.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-06-2002, 05:58 PM

Well I am really playing catch up on this challenge..There are so many great entries.. Thought I'd give this one a try..Supposed to be a tinted sketch vingette..

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (93.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-06-2002, 06:16 PM

Thumbs down

Jerry
Nice submission, definitely differnet fromall others. How did you get the water clear (not green( by the fishie). Real nice touch.

Adeo. vey nice you made some changes but how did the coy have babies
Old 11-06-2002, 06:33 PM

Thanks Phili1 for the nice comment..

This picture started out using Trimoons Sketch technique (using his pencil02 filter technique).. After completing the sketch I placed it above the original picture.. Using a variety of wet brushes I started to remove the portions of the sketch that I wanted the color to show through..It is trial and error adjusting opacities of brushes often..After I got the color that I wanted I added a white layer above and removed portions with the above technique to reveal the vignette..The clear water appears to be a combination of the sketch using pencil02 filter and the white layer overlay..

Hope this helps
Jerry
Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 PM

Jerry

If I were you and you have a good printer I would buy Pictorico canvas paper and hang that on the wall.

I took my mystic submission which was from an oil painting system I am developing and used MIke F misty filter, I did the texture lighter then usual and at the end I added sandstone NO 2
and printed it just to see what the end results would be and it was awsome. I had several people at work want to buy it but I said its not mine to sell.

I think if you use that paper you will surprised.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:20 PM

Great sketch, Jerry, as usual. I like how the water turned out as a result of the layer blending.

Adao, that's a great look for this picture. Very well thought out and well done. I like how you have removed part of the background to simplify what is a too-busy picture. And welcome to the best site on the net!

Here I started with my last upload and layered over it a textured paper look from Andromeda Techtures. Made the texture a golden color and also tweaked the color of the picture beneath away from green somewhat and more towards golds and reds. The "Japanese" letters in the corner are really my initials PAS in Vivaldi font.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan5.jpg (74.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-06-2002, 09:14 PM

Phyliss just when I thought it coundnt get any better you come up with your last post. wow the coloration is just great an other one for Pictorico canvas paper. Great job.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:17 PM

Adao..Very nice painting and a thorough desccription..you put a lot of effort into that piece and it shows..welcome to RP.

Phili..I will have to look for that paper and give it a try..Thanks for the tip..

Phyllis..I like this last one best..It has a real Japanese art feel to it..Well done..You are the filter magician..

Jerry
Old 11-07-2002, 03:04 AM

It isn't easy being (stuck with) green.

Chuck, nice subtle texture on the second one. As for brightness of the two, perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

There are two problems I found with this challenge picture: Too busy, and TOO GREEN! As you know, green is a really hard color to lighten, brighten, darken, etc. For example, when you saturate it, it loses detail and shadows because of all the yellow it contains. So green can be a real pain to work with. So I ended up changing the coloring a bit in my last two attempts...first making it bluer and adding other colors with color balance, and the second time shifting toward gold and red...helped with the overall tone.

Phyllis

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges