RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #45 – Japanese Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 02:56 AM

Maybe I should call this buZZ garden.

After buZZ, I cloned green water over blue water, crop, range enhancement, and a new screen layer at about 25% opacity to lighten. Then blur tool on a few spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden.jpg (97.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-07-2002, 10:10 AM

Andrew, your Buzz garden has a really soft watercolor look to it..I really like it..

Chuck.. You are like a pitbull with this challenge..I like your last entry..The violet tones give this picture a really different look from the other entries..I like it..

Jerry
Old 11-07-2002, 02:37 PM

Hi Chuck

I just looked at your last entry at home on another monitor..It has definate violet tone to me..(Maybe I'm color blind ..who knows)

I still like itl.

Jerry
Old 11-07-2002, 10:08 PM

Chuck, yes, it was violet. Fluorescent violet I think you could call it...the color you see in "neon" signs. So, I suppose it IS time to get the monitor calibrated! Or just get a new one if your old one isn't up to the task of showing a full range of colors accurately. Don't know how old it is, but technology changes pretty fast these days!

Phyllis (always trying to get folks to spend more money...hehe!)
Old 11-10-2002, 12:01 PM

Thanks, Jerry. I appreciate your encouragement!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
Andrew, your Buzz garden has a really soft watercolor look to it..I really like it..
Old 11-14-2002, 07:06 PM

I was trying Lynda's tutorial but ended up elsewhere.
1. Duplicate layer. Smart blur edge only on duplicate layer. Invert to get black lines on white background.
2. Applied gaussuian blur (small ~ 1.0 to 2.0). Adjust levels to get definition on the lines.
3.Duplicate original layer. Adjust color on original layer to make it mostly green. Adjust hue/saturation on the duplicate layer to get a reddish brown color. Take snapshots on both layers.
4. With the black and white layer active and the history brush pointed to green snapshot, brush back color opacity 30 normal blend. I used soft round brush size 35. Then switched to chalk size 36. I also turned on the brush dynamics. Where I want it darker I changed blend mode to multiply or darken. If I wanted it darker and saturated I used color burn ot linear burn.
Where I needed to lighten the colors I used screen or lighten.
5. Pointing the history brush to the reddish brown snapshot, I used erase>brush>chalk size 35.
6. Flattened. Doing the border the hard way, I erased using erase>brush.chalk size 70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden_wc_sm.jpg (99.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 PM

Angue,
Wow I think yours is fantastic.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:56 PM

Hey guys no fair all these plugins, they are great but iwont spend anymore money.

Nice job Chuck. BY the way since I downloaded POV my Adobe is going haywire. all of a sudden all my icons turn to vertical lines. Have you had any problems.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phili1
BY the way since I downloaded POV my Adobe is going haywire. all of a sudden all my icons turn to vertical lines. Have you had any problems.
Yes. I downloaded it several weeks ago. Ever since then my PS7 has been screwed up...freezes up a lot and never did that before. Sometimes when I open it the custom keyboard commands I added are missing...other times they are there. I deleted POV the day I tried it, since it was way too much trouble for me. I never made a connection between my sudden PS problems and POV, but now that you mention it, the timing fits.

I plan to reload PS some day. But I never want to take the time. I'd rather be playing with pictures here!

Phyllis
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM

There are several incredible renditions here. This picture just happened to be the one I chose for my latest experiment. I usually either spend lots of time blending color layers and then put a sketch on top or I spend lots of time on a sketch and then put a single color layer on top. What I did today is made 2 copies of the background. I desaturated one and then made several duplicates. I played around with filters and blending modes until I had an "arty" grayscale image. The I took the color layer I had on top and made a couple of copies. On these I ran extreme filter settings--to get just blobs with the right colors and blended those together. Then I blended the color (very blurred) over the grayscale image (note--not a sketch style) and added texture. This one is just an early experiment, but I'm tossing it out to open up another avenue for exploration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-japanese-garden-playwb.jpg (95.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-08-2003, 04:56 AM

Japanese Garden

I used 3 layers on top of the background for this one. ran a bit of Color correction before duplicating this background layer. On the layer above the background I used find edges and desaturate. Above that I used noise and fresco and simplified with light edges to tone down the black patches, above that I used noise and dry brush and simplified. merged them all put a copy of the original back on itself set to 25% to give it back it's original "green". Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uc_mini-challenge-45-japane.jpg (91.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-08-2003, 05:03 AM

Japanese Garden

I used 3 layers on top of the background for this one. ran a bit of Color correction before duplicating this background layer. On the layer above the background I used find edges and desaturate. Above that I used noise and fresco and simplified with light edges to tone down the black patches, above that I used noise and dry brush and simplified. merged them all put a copy of the original back on itself set to 25% to give it back it's original "green". Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uc_mini-challenge-45-japane.jpg (10.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 PM

I like Japanese gardens, so I thought I'd give this a try despite being such an old / dusty thread. Some of the prior efforts are quite good. I especially liked the 1st one Phyllis Stewart did. Too bad this was apparently pre "how I did it".

Layers from bottom to top:
(Layers A,C,& I not used. All layers Normal mode, 100% opacity unless otherwise noted.)

BG (background) - Cropped & applied Hue/Sat, Levels, & Curves to improve it.
B: Copy BG, GBlur 4, DryBrush 2/8/3
D: Copy B, GNoise 6, Spatter 7/7. HardLight / 46%
E: Copy D, Sumi-e 3/3/0. Normal / 34%
F: Copy D, Angled strokes 35/6/4. TURN OFF VISIBILITY
G: Copy D, PaletteKnife 3/3/2, RoughPastels 0/1/15/Sandstone/100%/Bottom. Dissolve / 37%. Added layer mask
H: Copy F, HighPass 1.2, Emboss 99/2/100. Overlay / 55%.
H1: Brightness / Contrast Adj. groouped to layer H. Contrast +24.
J: Copy BG, HighPass 2, GBlur 0.5 LinearLight 39%. Added a layer mask.
K: copy/paste image elements. Free transform (Adding tone & texture to the white rocks diminishes their emphasis in the picture.)
L: Hue/Sat Adj, Hue -11, Sat -10. To make colors & balance among image elements more to my liking.

Layer H /H1 is an attempt to add brush stroke texture to the image that lines up somewhat naturally with the image elements. The high pass filter limits the embossing to the brush strokes created in layer F with the angled strokes filter. I think this was fairly successful, but likely still pretty limited in capability / realism.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JapGardenPA.jpg (94.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg jGden_detail.jpg (30.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg JGdn-layers.jpg (30.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 PM

Talking Here is gimpified japaneese garden

Open the image in Gimp
Duplicate layer
Upper layer, apply Filter Gaussian Blur 5 ( so when do Sobel edge detection it will give less lines)
Upper layer, Layor->color->desaturate ( So, edge detection will work on B&W, rather than color, I think it is better)
Uppler layer, Filter Edge Detect Sobel ( Get the outline for the image)
Goto the bottom layer
Bottom layer, apply Gaussian blur 5 ( optional)
Bottom layer, Layer->color->auto->equalize ( or whatever you like to do by reducing the fine definition into a smudged image, so it will look like an art).

Apply filers->Light effect->supernova ( to bring the focus point of the art)
I attached the file, hope this attachment works
Thats all guys!
-sundar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-japanese-gardena.jpg (89.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by sundar; 12-22-2004 at 10:07 PM. Reason: big size image upload didn't work, reloaded the small size
Old 12-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar
Open the image in Gimp
Duplicate layer
Upper layer, apply Filter Gaussian Blur 5 ( so when do Sobel edge detection it will give less lines)
Upper layer, Layor->color->desaturate ( So, edge detection will work on B&W, rather than color, I think it is better)
Uppler layer, Filter Edge Detect Sobel ( Get the outline for the image)
Goto the bottom layer
Bottom layer, apply Gaussian blur 5 ( optional)
Bottom layer, Layer->color->auto->equalize ( or whatever you like to do by reducing the fine definition into a smudged image, so it will look like an art).

Apply filers->Light effect->supernova ( to bring the focus point of the art)
I attached the file, hope this attachment works
Thats all guys!
-sundar
Hello, sundar...

It's great to have a Gimp user join us. I hope to see more of your creativity in the future.

Welcome to the forum.

~Danny~

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges