RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #45 – Japanese Garden

Old 11-03-2002, 05:54 AM

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge# 45 – Japanese Garden

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge# 45 – Japanese Garden

Remember the butterfly image that so many seemed to enjoy last week? This gorgeous picture of a Japanese Garden was taken by the same photographer, Alan Smallbone, my colleague in the DPReview Retouching Forum Action collection endeavor (see http://www.geocities.com/kafuensis/).

Same old legal stuff: Alan retains the copyright © not only for the original image, but for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use without his permission are prohibited.

Thanks again, Alan, for letting me use another of your wonderful images.

Good luck and have fun.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -
INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
* It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
* Everyone who participates is a winner.
* There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
. * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
. * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
. * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
. * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
. * Feeling animated? Flying fish?
. * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-japanese-garden.jpg (54.5 KB, 266 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 12:08 PM

Japanese Garden

My attempt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jap1.jpg (87.1 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 05:45 PM

CHUCK...

Textures work well here... Thanks for breaking out of the gate early on this one. You got this thread rollin'.

- - - - - -
FRANK...

Can I transplant some of your "vision cells" into my brain? You see things I can't even imagine (until I see your creations). Mirroring the image to double the real estate... and tweaking the fish count to disguise it.

Excellent. Sure glad you found this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 09:40 PM

Used graphic pen, distort-displace with diagonal brush texture, color adjustment, KPT equalize to mold shadows a bit, and finally render-lighting to give it a bit of depth.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan1.jpg (87.1 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 11:23 PM

Ran a couple filters (spatter, and I forget the other), added a paper texture background, and ran an action for the edge effect. Then added the original back on top to restore a little detail, and put in a few subtle japanese characters.

On further reflection, it seems a little too busy. I'll take another whack at it tomorrow.

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecurbh_v1.jpg (61.7 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 02:23 AM

- - - - -
FRANK...

Can I transplant some of your "vision cells" into my brain?

Thanks, I would regard myself as one of the least artistic persons going! Can't draw, can't paint. Neither this one nor the book started out with any preconceived ideas, I just started doodling! Never done a book before. The japanese one is, as you said, duplicated, inversed, then the bottom half was copied and inversed, then some cut out of the bottom to allow the pond to continue around.
But most importantly, I'm adhereing to rule number 4(?), I'm enjoying myself!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 02:29 AM

Peace...and then what?

I tried to make this look like a Japanese drawing without doing any drawing, just filtering. It's not exactly what I was aiming for, but it's "sort of" close.

I needed some Japanese words to put on it, so I looked on the web and found that the first two symbols together here spell "peace." I wanted three in the column, so I took pieces of the others and made a third symbol. I sure hope it doesn't say something dirty or threatening. If it does, it was purely accidental!

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan2.jpg (78.6 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 05:34 AM

First I decreased the blue and increased the green in the foreground. then I created two layers. Applied sume filter to one and smart blur edge only to the other and inverted it. Applied Soft light blending mode to both layers then a spatter edge frame effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-gard.jpg (97.8 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 06:16 AM

Thumbs down

AS usual everybody entries are just great. I did like Danny said did mine first and then looked.

This is my first try at water coloring.

I used my Art History brush oil paint sys with no heavy emboss(texture) after that I used what I called selective foucus to bring up those elements that I wanted the picture to emphisiz and then I adjusted the water colored filter till I got what I wanted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jap garden 2 copy.jpg (74.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by phili1; 11-04-2002 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 06:26 AM

Wink

I used the same history brush system and selective focus but this time I used MIke F Misty action and adjusted curves.

I just tried something different. I added Texure/sandstone and it came out really great. I would like to post all the images tries on my pbase but Danny do you think that would be ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystic.jpg (42.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by phili1; 11-04-2002 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 07:25 AM

Unhappy

I am soory to hit you with a third one, but this one I need opinions.

This is my Oil Paint system with the addition in this case of a sandstone texture. Does it add to it or detract.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese garden 6 copy.jpg (87.1 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 AM

Thanks Chuck.

I developed an Oil Based Painting with Danney and I am trying different things with it. It was developed for people and works great but now I am trying it on landscapes. The great thing about it is you can adjust the texture to your liking. The sand stone was an add in, and I think I used about 4. I will try it with 2.

BY the way down load Mystic and add sandstone to it, I just did and printed it on Pictorico canvas to see the effect and all I can say is wow it looks great. I did that one with 2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 03:23 PM

Phil, I like the last one a lot. The texture really does the trick!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 07:26 PM

Here's a visitor from another challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45a.jpg (99.6 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 07:46 PM

Trying for a Japanese wood block effect. BuzzPro, a heavy dose of unsharp masking, and a water paper texture.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden.jpg (36.2 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 08:48 PM

Truman thats a great job. I know where you got the fins. Did you use luminosity on the rocks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 10:09 PM

Truman, clever and well done too. The coloring on the whale tail is perfect, and I like the softness you added to an overly busy scene.

Chuck, yes, you should have!

Jim, that's a really great looking pic! Love the texture you achieved. Again, I think I may have given up on Buzzpro too soon.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 AM

phili1: Did you use luminosity on the rocks.

No, I just modified the levels and applied AlienSkin JPEG repair. Overall, just a quicky that took about an hour to tweak.

Truman
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 12:20 PM

Truman:

Exceptionally creative! One of the best I've seen. Great image and color blends.

- - - - - -
Phil:

Watercolor version. Of the three I liked this one the best.

RE: Texture on #3
Too much texture detracts from the image. I'm with Chuck on this one... I'd tone it down a couple notches.

- - - - - -
Phyllis:

More creativity. You -ARE- amazing. My preference is #2 with the lettering and texture effect.

- - - - - -
Bruce:

The edge treatment and especially the faded background of characters definitely enhance the final result.

- - - - - -
Frank:

I don't think there's necessarily a connection between having artistic talent and having creative vision. (I'm with you on the former trait.) One can be taught (and can develop) technical skills.

Creativity can't be taught.

RE: "...most importantly, I'm adhereing to rule number 4(?), I'm enjoying myself!"
Hail to the Chief. A+ on that one!

- - - - - - -
Art:

Very creative combination and blend of Sumi-e and Smart Blur/Edge Only. Works very well with this image.

- - - - - - -
Jim:

A terrific result. The woodblock vision was inspired.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Great stuff, gang! Keep 'em coming!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 12:58 AM

Sketch effect treated with anisotropic diffuse and assorted blending modes. Then the depth and glow was added with KPT6 marvelous indispensable best-ever "equalizer" filter, which both sharpens by color, edges, and/or contrast as well as blurs/sharpens by different size pixel groupings. You can blur larger areas while sharpening edges at the same time, for example! And you still have a week left to order this package really cheap from andromeda.com! I would never want to be without this filter now that I have used it!

Phyllis--does NOT get a commission
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan4.jpg (86.6 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 04:02 AM

Phyliss thats realy super effect, It really lends itsef to the picture. Nice job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 04:35 PM

Question watergarden

This would be my first photo art mini-challenge, i assume this is where you place it, lol, so much to this site, i always find myself geting lost in lots of learning and figuring out.
Using photoshop, i copied the original 2 times, the 1 I did find edges, on 2 I did did dry brush, erased some of two to bring out the lines underneath, mostly on trees, painted over the plant in water, and smuged the layer to give more of a flowing affect. 3 layer, airbrushed the tree branches and trunks white. 4 layer, airbrushed black around areas. 5 layer scanned in flowers, which i had hand painted in water colors. flatten, the erased some of pic and added white to the bottom. new layer, scanned in a piece of paper soaked in tea, overlay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watergarden1.jpg (64.2 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 04:58 PM

Well I am really playing catch up on this challenge..There are so many great entries.. Thought I'd give this one a try..Supposed to be a tinted sketch vingette..

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (93.3 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 05:16 PM

Thumbs down

Jerry
Nice submission, definitely differnet fromall others. How did you get the water clear (not green( by the fishie). Real nice touch.

Adeo. vey nice you made some changes but how did the coy have babies
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 05:33 PM

Thanks Phili1 for the nice comment..

This picture started out using Trimoons Sketch technique (using his pencil02 filter technique).. After completing the sketch I placed it above the original picture.. Using a variety of wet brushes I started to remove the portions of the sketch that I wanted the color to show through..It is trial and error adjusting opacities of brushes often..After I got the color that I wanted I added a white layer above and removed portions with the above technique to reveal the vignette..The clear water appears to be a combination of the sketch using pencil02 filter and the white layer overlay..

Hope this helps
Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 05:54 PM

Jerry

If I were you and you have a good printer I would buy Pictorico canvas paper and hang that on the wall.

I took my mystic submission which was from an oil painting system I am developing and used MIke F misty filter, I did the texture lighter then usual and at the end I added sandstone NO 2
and printed it just to see what the end results would be and it was awsome. I had several people at work want to buy it but I said its not mine to sell.

I think if you use that paper you will surprised.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 07:20 PM

Great sketch, Jerry, as usual. I like how the water turned out as a result of the layer blending.

Adao, that's a great look for this picture. Very well thought out and well done. I like how you have removed part of the background to simplify what is a too-busy picture. And welcome to the best site on the net!

Here I started with my last upload and layered over it a textured paper look from Andromeda Techtures. Made the texture a golden color and also tweaked the color of the picture beneath away from green somewhat and more towards golds and reds. The "Japanese" letters in the corner are really my initials PAS in Vivaldi font.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan5.jpg (74.0 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 08:14 PM

Phyliss just when I thought it coundnt get any better you come up with your last post. wow the coloration is just great an other one for Pictorico canvas paper. Great job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 08:17 PM

Adao..Very nice painting and a thorough desccription..you put a lot of effort into that piece and it shows..welcome to RP.

Phili..I will have to look for that paper and give it a try..Thanks for the tip..

Phyllis..I like this last one best..It has a real Japanese art feel to it..Well done..You are the filter magician..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2002, 02:04 AM

It isn't easy being (stuck with) green.

Chuck, nice subtle texture on the second one. As for brightness of the two, perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

There are two problems I found with this challenge picture: Too busy, and TOO GREEN! As you know, green is a really hard color to lighten, brighten, darken, etc. For example, when you saturate it, it loses detail and shadows because of all the yellow it contains. So green can be a real pain to work with. So I ended up changing the coloring a bit in my last two attempts...first making it bluer and adding other colors with color balance, and the second time shifting toward gold and red...helped with the overall tone.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2002, 02:56 AM

Maybe I should call this buZZ garden.

After buZZ, I cloned green water over blue water, crop, range enhancement, and a new screen layer at about 25% opacity to lighten. Then blur tool on a few spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden.jpg (97.2 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2002, 10:10 AM

Andrew, your Buzz garden has a really soft watercolor look to it..I really like it..

Chuck.. You are like a pitbull with this challenge..I like your last entry..The violet tones give this picture a really different look from the other entries..I like it..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2002, 02:37 PM

Hi Chuck

I just looked at your last entry at home on another monitor..It has definate violet tone to me..(Maybe I'm color blind ..who knows)

I still like itl.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2002, 10:08 PM

Chuck, yes, it was violet. Fluorescent violet I think you could call it...the color you see in "neon" signs. So, I suppose it IS time to get the monitor calibrated! Or just get a new one if your old one isn't up to the task of showing a full range of colors accurately. Don't know how old it is, but technology changes pretty fast these days!

Phyllis (always trying to get folks to spend more money...hehe!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 12:01 PM

Thanks, Jerry. I appreciate your encouragement!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
Andrew, your Buzz garden has a really soft watercolor look to it..I really like it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 07:06 PM

I was trying Lynda's tutorial but ended up elsewhere.
1. Duplicate layer. Smart blur edge only on duplicate layer. Invert to get black lines on white background.
2. Applied gaussuian blur (small ~ 1.0 to 2.0). Adjust levels to get definition on the lines.
3.Duplicate original layer. Adjust color on original layer to make it mostly green. Adjust hue/saturation on the duplicate layer to get a reddish brown color. Take snapshots on both layers.
4. With the black and white layer active and the history brush pointed to green snapshot, brush back color opacity 30 normal blend. I used soft round brush size 35. Then switched to chalk size 36. I also turned on the brush dynamics. Where I want it darker I changed blend mode to multiply or darken. If I wanted it darker and saturated I used color burn ot linear burn.
Where I needed to lighten the colors I used screen or lighten.
5. Pointing the history brush to the reddish brown snapshot, I used erase>brush>chalk size 35.
6. Flattened. Doing the border the hard way, I erased using erase>brush.chalk size 70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden_wc_sm.jpg (99.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 PM

Angue,
Wow I think yours is fantastic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 08:56 PM

Hey guys no fair all these plugins, they are great but iwont spend anymore money.

Nice job Chuck. BY the way since I downloaded POV my Adobe is going haywire. all of a sudden all my icons turn to vertical lines. Have you had any problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phili1
BY the way since I downloaded POV my Adobe is going haywire. all of a sudden all my icons turn to vertical lines. Have you had any problems.
Yes. I downloaded it several weeks ago. Ever since then my PS7 has been screwed up...freezes up a lot and never did that before. Sometimes when I open it the custom keyboard commands I added are missing...other times they are there. I deleted POV the day I tried it, since it was way too much trouble for me. I never made a connection between my sudden PS problems and POV, but now that you mention it, the timing fits.

I plan to reload PS some day. But I never want to take the time. I'd rather be playing with pictures here!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM

There are several incredible renditions here. This picture just happened to be the one I chose for my latest experiment. I usually either spend lots of time blending color layers and then put a sketch on top or I spend lots of time on a sketch and then put a single color layer on top. What I did today is made 2 copies of the background. I desaturated one and then made several duplicates. I played around with filters and blending modes until I had an "arty" grayscale image. The I took the color layer I had on top and made a couple of copies. On these I ran extreme filter settings--to get just blobs with the right colors and blended those together. Then I blended the color (very blurred) over the grayscale image (note--not a sketch style) and added texture. This one is just an early experiment, but I'm tossing it out to open up another avenue for exploration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-japanese-garden-playwb.jpg (95.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 04:56 AM

Japanese Garden

I used 3 layers on top of the background for this one. ran a bit of Color correction before duplicating this background layer. On the layer above the background I used find edges and desaturate. Above that I used noise and fresco and simplified with light edges to tone down the black patches, above that I used noise and dry brush and simplified. merged them all put a copy of the original back on itself set to 25% to give it back it's original "green". Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uc_mini-challenge-45-japane.jpg (91.9 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 05:03 AM

Japanese Garden

I used 3 layers on top of the background for this one. ran a bit of Color correction before duplicating this background layer. On the layer above the background I used find edges and desaturate. Above that I used noise and fresco and simplified with light edges to tone down the black patches, above that I used noise and dry brush and simplified. merged them all put a copy of the original back on itself set to 25% to give it back it's original "green". Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uc_mini-challenge-45-japane.jpg (10.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 PM

I like Japanese gardens, so I thought I'd give this a try despite being such an old / dusty thread. Some of the prior efforts are quite good. I especially liked the 1st one Phyllis Stewart did. Too bad this was apparently pre "how I did it".

Layers from bottom to top:
(Layers A,C,& I not used. All layers Normal mode, 100% opacity unless otherwise noted.)

BG (background) - Cropped & applied Hue/Sat, Levels, & Curves to improve it.
B: Copy BG, GBlur 4, DryBrush 2/8/3
D: Copy B, GNoise 6, Spatter 7/7. HardLight / 46%
E: Copy D, Sumi-e 3/3/0. Normal / 34%
F: Copy D, Angled strokes 35/6/4. TURN OFF VISIBILITY
G: Copy D, PaletteKnife 3/3/2, RoughPastels 0/1/15/Sandstone/100%/Bottom. Dissolve / 37%. Added layer mask
H: Copy F, HighPass 1.2, Emboss 99/2/100. Overlay / 55%.
H1: Brightness / Contrast Adj. groouped to layer H. Contrast +24.
J: Copy BG, HighPass 2, GBlur 0.5 LinearLight 39%. Added a layer mask.
K: copy/paste image elements. Free transform (Adding tone & texture to the white rocks diminishes their emphasis in the picture.)
L: Hue/Sat Adj, Hue -11, Sat -10. To make colors & balance among image elements more to my liking.

Layer H /H1 is an attempt to add brush stroke texture to the image that lines up somewhat naturally with the image elements. The high pass filter limits the embossing to the brush strokes created in layer F with the angled strokes filter. I think this was fairly successful, but likely still pretty limited in capability / realism.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JapGardenPA.jpg (94.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg jGden_detail.jpg (30.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg JGdn-layers.jpg (30.0 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 PM

Talking Here is gimpified japaneese garden

Open the image in Gimp
Duplicate layer
Upper layer, apply Filter Gaussian Blur 5 ( so when do Sobel edge detection it will give less lines)
Upper layer, Layor->color->desaturate ( So, edge detection will work on B&W, rather than color, I think it is better)
Uppler layer, Filter Edge Detect Sobel ( Get the outline for the image)
Goto the bottom layer
Bottom layer, apply Gaussian blur 5 ( optional)
Bottom layer, Layer->color->auto->equalize ( or whatever you like to do by reducing the fine definition into a smudged image, so it will look like an art).

Apply filers->Light effect->supernova ( to bring the focus point of the art)
I attached the file, hope this attachment works
Thats all guys!
-sundar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-japanese-gardena.jpg (89.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by sundar; 12-22-2004 at 10:07 PM. Reason: big size image upload didn't work, reloaded the small size
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar
Open the image in Gimp
Duplicate layer
Upper layer, apply Filter Gaussian Blur 5 ( so when do Sobel edge detection it will give less lines)
Upper layer, Layor->color->desaturate ( So, edge detection will work on B&W, rather than color, I think it is better)
Uppler layer, Filter Edge Detect Sobel ( Get the outline for the image)
Goto the bottom layer
Bottom layer, apply Gaussian blur 5 ( optional)
Bottom layer, Layer->color->auto->equalize ( or whatever you like to do by reducing the fine definition into a smudged image, so it will look like an art).

Apply filers->Light effect->supernova ( to bring the focus point of the art)
I attached the file, hope this attachment works
Thats all guys!
-sundar
Hello, sundar...

It's great to have a Gimp user join us. I hope to see more of your creativity in the future.

Welcome to the forum.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2004, 12:31 PM

I love this forum!!

I've been tryin got get a better handle on Impressionist. This was running it through Imp. first with Watercoloramp Translucent.
Then Imp. again with Chalk: Soft Detailed Pastels and Faded it to Lighten.
Then Imp again with Paint:Free Daubs and Faded it to Lighten and lowered Opacity.
Then duped the Background
Ran Find Edges and Diffuse:Anisotropic.
stuck that layer on top with Blending if Overlay and about 60% opacity.
That's it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (94.3 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2004, 01:01 PM

glikster,

I like this one! It has that abstract feel to it. Very nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2004, 04:25 PM

First time posting...

Well i had no intention of posting this as i tend to just lurk and pick up what i can from reading the other posts, so i'm affraid i kinda picked this image up and ran off with it without concern for my methods.

I appologise for not being able to explain my methods, but felt i would post the image anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan.jpg (99.6 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axleuk
Well i had no intention of posting this as i tend to just lurk and pick up what i can from reading the other posts, so i'm affraid i kinda picked this image up and ran off with it without concern for my methods.

I appologise for not being able to explain my methods, but felt i would post the image anyways.
Now that you've officially stepped out of the shadows, may I say (a) "Well done" (especially for the addition of the text in the corner) and (b) hope you'll contribute more of your creations in the future. You've definitely got what it takes.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Got the words from the internet, It means "Happy New Year" at least i think it does!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden1-web.jpg (78.1 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 05:11 AM

Duped original layer twice.
L2 - Cutout
L3 - Screen
Merge layers/Edge Preserving Smooth 3
Some AIM/USM
Dupe bottom layer.
L2 - Impressionist/Trimoon WC Steve III (twice)
Mode - 50% opacity
Merge both layers.
Some AIM/USM.
FP - Ghost
Merged layers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japanese Gdn.jpg (80.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2005, 01:19 PM

those are some incredible results here

----
just painter-watercolour and some imp-charcoal and stuff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-japanese-garden_JC3_.jpg (99.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM

Japanese garden

This is my first posting on this forum. I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's efforts.

Used Photoshop dry brush filter. Created a new background with clouds. Elongated the image to make it look more "Japanese". Masked part of the image to reveal the background. Used Impressionist, Natural: tied grass mosaic with "full palette" in color controls. Touched up final image with clone stamp tool, and did a curves adjustment.

-- Dafka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-mini-challenge-45-japane.jpg (97.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 PM

Welcome dafka. You jumped in with a beautiful, peaceful scene, which was done very well. Keep up the good work.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 PM

Hey, Dafka...

Let me add my welcome.

"Thumbs up" on your creation. I esp. like how you integrated the Impressionist effect. Hope to see more of your work in the future.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 PM

excellent work, all!

thought i'd do another small animation. not going to post the original this time...too many flaws

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: gif challenge45-1-k-1a.gif (98.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Patron

Very, very cool, Kraellin.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 PM

thank you, cathy that means a lot coming from such a talented person.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Patron

In Painter I used distorted glass filter. I PS I duplicated the glass layer and embossed it, overlay blend, and Hue/sat adjustment. I added a layer in color mode and glazed color over areas. I added the letters, and a water color border (Photoframe). Last I added some texture (heavy paper).

Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-j….jpg (99.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM

Nicely done Cathy. Looks so authentic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 AM

Craig: WOW!! That is sooooo..... cool. Is there a way to slow the movement down?

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM

annabel,

yes, but only by going back into the build and altering the time on each frame. if it was a flash animation, you could most likely do it as the end user, if the creator put that feature control in. but as a simple .gif animation, i cant put that feature control in.

if you have a .gif animation program, such as jasc's animation shop, you could load the animation in there and change it yourself, and i'm fairly sure it could be loaded into other animation programs and done also.

also, bear in mind, this is a frame by frame type animation, so, if slow things down too much you'd get that move, stop, move, stop, move stop, type of action. so, you'd have to add more intermediate frames to keep the motion smooth.

and thank you

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Smile Three more views

Hi all talented and creative people !

Fell inlove with this garden when I first saw it about a week ago, was really motivated seeing all the beautiful posts and well, see below the results of my effort, all with PS CS2:

I used another beautiful photo found in a free stock photos site that in itself reminded me a lot of a Hokusai painting and merged both, had to stop adding "cute" things as I kept imagining butterflies more birds flying, etc.

Number 1- is really the second, used the pencil option in Virtual Painter 4 plug in with all the options set to subtle , placed the layer at the bottom, set the top one to "softlight" flattened and saved for web.

Number 2- is really the last, apart from all the additions, I used the sand texture graduated at very few px, tried to tone down the colors but I am not too good with those filters. Used some levels, curves, shadows/brigthness and even the exposure filter

Number 3 is of course, the first one --after all the work of merging the "Hokusai" pic, addition of the various fish and birds-- and the tree reflection. Selected the brook and changed the colour some so it would look more bluish and applied the distort/ocean ripple and wave filters.

Well there sure were more things I did to the image but can't quite remember (I think that art and science do not mix well, at least for me )

C&C of course are always welcome.

Regards - Martha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-marthig1.jpg (92.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45martha2.jpg (98.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45martha3.jpg (95.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Marthig; 07-02-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 02:06 PM

i REALLY like the second one. perfect mix of form and color. one and three are good, but the second really appeals to me. number one is just a bit out of focus, which is its own look and nothing really wrong with it, but i just like the second look better. with the third the bush in the foreground on the right is a bit bland with those colors and the look is followed up with more as your eye travels deeper. still, it might well appeal to others. all three are done well, so all i'm saying is number two just fits my tastes more.

well done and thank you!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 07:27 PM

Thumbs down

Craig,

Thanks a lot for your possitive criticism or comment I like that ! I tend to elaborate too much my retouchings or photo-art (?) and then well ... But I am happy because am learning tremendously from these mini-challenges and other forums full of excellent works.

Talking about excellent work, I enjoyed your swimming fish rendering it is so good, and loved the detail of the plants moving when it goes trough them, this might be a stupid question but you used Flash, didn't you? Whatever it is you used it marvelously.

I looked in detail all of the previous postings and I am glad this is not a voting contest as I would not know how to choose the best !

Congratulations to all !

regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 PM

marthig,

you're welcome. i love this place and the folks here. i can only hope that my comments help besides, it's just my opinion. someone else may well like one of the others better. oh, and you mentioned having to stop adding 'cute' things. i think you got it just right, not too bare, not too busy.

and thank you. the swimming fish was fun. i used jasc's animation shop, which came with paint shop pro 7.xx. and i'll tell you a little secret; the moving plants was a mistake that i decided to let stay

and i agree, voting would be very difficult here!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM

after a crop, gausian blur, charcoal filter and a little borger/drop shadow from this tutorial, I ended up with this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edition45.jpg (94.5 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 PM

cathy,

dont know how i missed yours. very lovely! i particularly like the soft fuzzy bushes down on the right.

photob,

nice

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Cat in the Garden

Adding my try to the list. I used Studio Artist and PScs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catingarden1 copy.jpg (93.4 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM

interesting, dbuckle. why the silhouette of the cat?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 PM

Beautiful renditions so far by all.

Whenever I've been to the Japanese Gardens in Portland OR, it's rained for a spell. This didn't detract from the spectacular beauty however, it was sort of refreshing. So, here's my attempt.

Can't remember everything as I started this a while ago.

I think I made adjustments to hue/saturation and levels to make it look darker and cloudier.

Used an action by Mike Finn - "Paint with Texture" and then the history brush tool to bring back detail.

Added rain effect with a layer filled with black - Filter/Noise/Add noise and then blur and then motion blur and then blending mode - screen.

Annabel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JapaneseGardenRain.jpg (99.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Wish I could get these things to come out like I invision them, but I guess it takes time, or it might not ever happen! Anyway this is sort of close to what I was shooting for.

Impressionist- djroil24 overlayed by a PSP script of mine blend set to luminance, then adjusted the color and tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minichallenge45 JapaneseGarden2 .jpg (95.2 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Re: PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #45 – Japanese Garde

garden in spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (78.5 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM

garden in autumn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (78.6 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM

These are so cool...what is it about Japanese gardens?!

The haiku text on the first pic says:

"Not only the cherry blossom
That has cracked into a smile
But also my face."

(Maitreya, 25 April 2006)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden.jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg jap2.jpg (99.1 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Patron

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found I really liked this image.

Started by correcting levels, to Brighten.
Then used Topaz Simplify 2 - Paint oils

Actually then I lost track.

Hope it looks ok, as this is my first post.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-japanese-garden2.jpg (93.9 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalandr View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found I really liked this image.

Started by correcting levels, to Brighten.
Then used Topaz Simplify 2 - Paint oils

Actually then I lost track.

Hope it looks ok, as this is my first post.

Joe
Yep it looks ok, it looks great, congratulations on your first post All threads are there to be used anytime in fact by going over them you learn more

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Patron

Palms,

Thank you for looking, and your comment.
I'll be trying out more of these challenges, and post more.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for bringing this one forward Joe. Lots of nice versions to enjoy. For my go I went with a high definition version with edging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-garden-MA.jpg (190.3 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Patron

MiningArt, Well done!

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalandr View Post
MiningArt, Well done!

Joe
Thanks Joe. For this one I backed off the intensity a bit and used Impressionist for a paint effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden-MA.jpg (195.2 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Wonderful Gardens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-45-japanese-.jpg (94.7 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges