RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #48 – Tigers Playing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2002, 12:16 AM

Alan, "gaussian glow" is one of my favorite KPT filters--same as the gaussian blur blended to multiply which you did. The effect is Purr-fect on this picture...the 3D soft glow of it makes the tigers look fat and furry and cute as kittens! Nice result.

Angue, you used the same two filters I did...what's that about great minds and same channel? I love the idea of adding the ball (complete with shadow...nice attn to detail). Makes them look even more playful!

Danny, nice sketch effect on a subject that resisted sketch attempts by yours truly. I really love the edging you added...was that a framing action?

Phyllis
Old 11-12-2002, 12:38 AM

Phyllis:

The edge effect was from the plugin I just finished reviewing for RetouchPRO. (It will take Doug a few days to do the formatting, image linking, etc. before it's posted.)

Since it's too large to post in a thread, I'll e-mail you an advanced copy of the review.

If anyone else is interested in an advanced copy, send me real e-mail (not PM). You can do that via the MEMBERS choice in the Forum menu.

~DannyR~
Old 08-08-2003, 03:51 PM

Don, I agree with your choice of favorites. This one was tough for me--kept getting too dark.

I wound up with this.
Rough sketch 1

1. 2 duplicate copies of background. Turn the top one off (it’s used at the end and it’s convenient to have it already at the top).

We work on the middle layer for a while.

2. Image—Adjustments—Desaturate
3. Duplicate desaturated layer.
4. On the duplicate layer set the blending mode to Color Dodge. Run Filter—Blur—Gaussian Blur between 4-8.
5. Merge Down. Duplicate desaturated layer.
6. On upper desaturated layer, set the blending mode to multiply. Run Filter—Blur—Gaussian Blur with the same settings and used in step 4.
7. Merge Down. This is your base sketch layer.
8. Make 3 copies of the base sketch layer.
9. On the top duplicate, run Filter—Brush Strokes—Sumi. Reduce opacity to 50%.
10. On the middle duplicate, Run Filter—Brush Strokes—Dark Strokes. Set the blending mode to Pin Light.
11. On the lower duplicate, run Filter—Artistic—Fresco. Set the blending mode to Luminosity.
12. Turn on the color layer at the top. Play wiath blending mode.
13. Add a new pattern fill layer at the top. Set the blending mode to Soft Light and the opacity to 70%. This will add texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48-tiger-rghsktch1wb.jpg (94.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-09-2003, 03:12 AM

Beautiful Cats , But happened to be in Sketches>Ink out lines and many times with levels...

-----

vijayan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigers.jpg (85.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-09-2003, 12:34 PM

photomauler

Thanks to all for the help that you all so eagerly share. It has made learning Elements 2 alot more rewarding.
I'm interested in the technique you refer to in the tigers playing challenge. A .gif screenshot of the technigue you use. I tried the link, but it won't open to the tutorial or screenshot.
Could you tell me what to look for so I can use the seach feature?
Thanks, kat
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM

thanks

Thanks for the quick responce. I appreciate the steps to the sketchy and the posterized tigers. Can't wait to try them.

Really am enjoying the forum and all the help. I will try to post something soon. I'm leaning towards an old picture that I restored for a friend. I got very lucky with it. I realize I won't post it on this forum, just enjoying all the artistic talent here.

appreciate the help.

kat
Old 06-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Tiger Tiger burning bright....

C.J., thank you for the beautiful photo. I am reviving this old thread of 2002 because i was looking for some animal pic to try my technique on. This photo was perfect.
Enjoyed going through the various creations here.
Started out in painter 8 for the "painterly" effect! Then in ps, used various color blends, with some buzz and virtual p. as well. Hope you like it, C.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cj-tigers-web.jpg (99.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Loved these tiger cubs!

I extracted the background and cubs in Photoshop. Applied a very low opacity Art History brush on a blank layer to the cubs and set the blending mode to multiply. I wanted to add a soft "fluff" to the cub's fur.

Saved these 3 layers and took them into Painter. I used a distortion brush on the background and just smeared it all up then applied a blur and a paper texture. Used a charcoal brush to add back some subtile shadows under the cubs and blurred the shadow layer.

I've only been using Painter for a week or so, but I can see great potential for it even in more "commercial" usages for print output especially for dealing with busy or problematic backgrounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-mini-challenge-48-.jpg (47.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 07:56 PM

Judy -- you certainly found ALL of your colors in the paintbox --- vibrant, dynamic, and COLORful!!

Thanks for bringing these beautiful cats back.

Swampy, your image isn't as big as usual, but I can see some of the fluff to the fur and a stronger texture for the background. (Agreed, the original background is not helpful to this image.) Glad you chose them for one of your practice sessions in Painter -- hope to see more! (I haven't even considered trying Painter yet!)
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 PM

C.J. Thank you :-)

I find that often the background needs more work than the foreground subject. In this case the grass was just "blah" and really doesn't add anything to the overall composition. In fact it detracts in this image.

I'm having a hard time with Painter. Since my background is in commercial art and not "fine art". I really have no idea of what to expect from the various brushes so I mostly getting blobs of paint with little definition or detail.

Judy... Your version is almost "Neimanesque". :-)
Old 06-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Decided to play with the tigers again -- used Color Range to select the background, then played with the hues and texture (blur, crystallize/Fragment/Ripple/Glass). Used a combination of the Sharpen/Diffuse and Dry Brush on the tigers on several layers, adding different bits on each layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tigers-playing-cj.jpg (99.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 09:17 PM

It almost looks like they are playing in water, CJ!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Judy... Your version is almost "Neimanesque". :-)
Swampy, thank you!!! You made my day! i LOVE Neiman's work!!
Thank you C.J. for your encouragement. I truly appreciate it.
Here's a simple watercolor effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cj-tigers1-web.jpg (99.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jaykita; 06-20-2005 at 09:45 PM. Reason: too much blabbing not good!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM

great starting pic, and some really nice renditions.

however, everyone sees different things and i'm no exception

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinball-wizard-4-k-1a.jpg (95.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 PM

Love it Craig! Hard to believe it's even the same tiger. Just great!