RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #50 – Pink Lotus

Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 AM

Here is what I came up with for this mini challenge. Sorry I did this a couple of days ago and I'm just now getting time to post it I can't remember the steps taken for this one.

This was a fun challenge.
TwoLaidBack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-50-allans-lo.jpg (98.2 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Little late, but just found this nice flower pic.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -lotusSC.jpg (85.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM

some absolutely amazing renditions here! and the original image is gorgeous, which always helps!

i put a twist on this one... you'll see

this started out as an exercise in sharpening. i'm afraid the experiment got out of control. after running sharpening by about a value of 1500 overall, using both the aim sharpener and the high pass sharpener of psp, i did some duped layers and blending, followed by the dreamsuite bonus demo and then some hand painting and blending and blurring of different types.

i also HIGHLY recommend going back through all the posts! there really are some amazing pieces here!

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-50-alans-lotus-1-k-1a.jpg (90.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Since this has been resurrected it would be a shame not to have a go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotus.jpg (78.1 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM

gorgeous, nancy. i do hope you post in the art section more often. i saw one post somewhere in here about being you feelling you were 'too technical' or something along those lines. 'art' could almost be described as 'technical perfection'...almost. so, i think your work fits right in.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 02:23 PM

The thing is, when I did traditional painting and drawing, aside from the odd moment of creative genius (my art teacher was always trying to find that in me - it was a rare occurance) I was always striving for the photorealistic quality, and I sort of ended up thinking one day - what's the point? You want photo quality - take a photo. Mostly I was working from photos I'd taken anyway.
Working digitally with a photo as a base, you've already got that photorealism, so if thats the goal then theres really no point doing anything.
So I'm just trying to find that creative flair that my art teacher always knew was there beneath the geek. Colour outside the lines occasionally etc. I'm not sure I'm really getting it but I am trying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 03:11 PM

nancy,

i understand and i agree with you about photographs.

art is about communication. it's about the quality of that communication. it's about putting a sensation or feeling into an image. it speaks to you. it evokes an emotional response. it's a something you almost want to consume, take into yourself and hold onto. it conveys something to the viewer and says something to them on an emotional level or asethetic level or spiritual level. 'spirit' and 'aesthetics' are very close to one another.

when you watch an actor or actress portray something so well that you feel a tear come to your eye or a smile on your lips, that's art. the message is sent and delivered and felt.

when you read a story and laugh or get angry at what's going on, that's good communication and therefore art.

i used to work with wood a bit. i love working with wood. you take an old tree and strip the rough bark, cut it into a workable form, shape it, smooth it, color it and polish it and it almost glows with a quality you almost want to pick up and eat. that's art.

there is art in life. a newborn's smile, a mother's pregnant 'glow', the bliss of things shared by lovers, the radiance of a bride to be, that perfect sunrise or sunset, and so forth. something, some quality is conveyed that just hits something within us and we know it's art. it touches us on a high wave band, sort of, if you want to describe it in physics. it matches up with us, the being within. there's an agreement between the piece and what we really are. both belong in the realm of 'quality', not 'quantity'. art is quality. spirit is quality. when they agree with one another, that's art.

so, if i can help you in any way find some of that quality, please let me know.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Re: PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #50 – Pink Lotus

Got so far with this one, I had to stop myself. I risked overdoing it.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinky.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Wow! Extremely cool... looked at the others on this page and all are impressive,I have not looked at the other pages yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks JimJam
Check the rest out some nice stuff there.

Peter
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges