RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #50 – Pink Lotus

Old 11-11-2002, 01:57 PM

Wow I am so impressed

Hi all,

I have been lurking and watching all the wonderous version that have been appearing from my photos. Amazing stuff. The artsy side of photoshop is something I have not explored much, I am still trying to master the editing part.

All of you are so talented, I wouldn't know how to use all these filters, but you all are making wanting to learn.

I am looking forward to lurking and learning some more, and I have some more pics if Danny finds them suitable.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 05:37 PM

STEVE (Trimoon):

I'm so accustomed to to keeping everything "inside the lines" I find the "leaf out of the frame" especially intreguing.

The sorta looks stamped into leather version is very cool.

How's the watercolor tutorial coming? What a great holiday present that would be to all of your fans!

- - - - - -
ART:

Did you do version 1 in Photoshop? Liked that one a lot.

Version 2 is very different than v1. I was expermenting with a similar method just last night. I wish I could find a way to retain the sharp, thin line detail rendered by Smart Blur / Find Edges, and lose the sometimes jaggie-ness.

- - - - - -
DOCILE BOB:

Appreciate your persistence in getting that image posted. Well worth the trouble (from my perspective). The texturing, especiallly on the underside of the leaves, really brings out the colors.

- - - - - -
JIM:

Wow again. Very sketch-like. Your skillful blending of methods generates another outstanding image.

- - - - - -
ALAN:

Me interested in more of your images for future minis? COME ON DOWN! They would be most welcome. I'll e-mail ya.

- - - - - -
CHUCK:

Very interesting effect. I like those results a lot. Painter is an amazing piece of software.

- - - - -

I'm messing with actions again, this time from Mike Finn's site (click here
). Followed those by a couple applications of the "Rust Flakes" PS7 texture preset via the Texturizer filter.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-50-alans-lotus-djr.jpg (59.4 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 07:16 PM

Talking

Thats a great effect, is that in dpreview actions. I will have to try it. but how did you paint it. what type of brushes did you use. I like the colorations.

I cant believe all the different renditions of the same thing. It makes you expand you scope of thinking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 07:42 PM

One more variation. this one with Paint Daubs, Smart Blur Edge Only inverted and then Grain, Soft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alans-lotus-daubs.jpg (83.4 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 07:47 PM

Danny
I did the first one with PhotoImpact 8.0 and the second one with Photoshop Elements 2.0.
I've never used Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 08:12 PM

Danny,
Love the texture (Rust flake). Looks like pressed paper. Why Don't I have one in PS7?

P.S.
To get a smoother edge on the smart blur, do a gaussian blurr then adjust level to your taste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 09:04 PM

outstanding, everyone

Could not begin to select a favorite, they are each one, outstanding, great work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2002, 10:00 PM

Danny,
Nevermind, I found the Rust flake texture.

Playing with the layers again, I don't remember how I got to this but here it is anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alans-lotus_waxy_ag.jpg (97.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 AM

Art, Jim, and Chuck, love your sketches...all different styles but all equally gorgeous. Excellent work, guys!

Bob, love the texture and the detail you brought out in the leaves.

Angue, the wax flower is great! Nice change of color too. Looks like the real fake!

Danny, great painting look. I use the rust flakes texture a lot for "oil paintings"...glad you found it.

Trimoon, I prefer your first paler version, but I also really like the brown one...looks like you cut it out of paper bags. Your creativity is endless.

Since I can't compete with the sketch/water color pros here, at least I can offer something no one else has done with the lotus. Two kaleidoscopes. This first one needed nothing more than a 3D shiny effect (KPT6 "materializer") after it was "twirl"-ed by KPT3 to turn it into a dinner plate.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotus_plate.jpg (86.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 11-12-2002 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2002, 02:18 AM

This second one took more steps: twirled twice, color and layer adjustments, KPT materializer, and PS layer effects. I don't know what it is, but I thought it was a pretty design.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinktwirl.jpg (79.0 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges