RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #52 – Chicago Skyline

Old 10-02-2003, 12:36 AM

Thanks Jeff. You are too kind.

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2003, 01:26 PM

Chicago

I loved Jerry's skyline effect in pastels the best...as it paints Chicago prettier than it really is. I tried for something a tad more abstract.

I did a contrast inhancement, then VP gouache to bring out the vibrant colors, Then I did a PSP8 Color edges, and threw on a carpet texture for the heck of it and softened it up.

Yes I know the skyscraper is out of perspective, but after straightening it I went back to the toppling over version for playfullness. The whole thing is "over the top."

Amy Hutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicago.jpg (93.6 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2005, 10:00 PM

I found this to be quite a challenge. I started several weeks ago, put it aside for a while, worked some more tonight, and decided it was done. Despite being such a busy image, many of older interpretations did well capturing lots of detail (esp. several by PStewart). I wasn't up for this and greatly simplified the image instead.

Elements2 Layers:
BG
A: Copy BG. GBlur 3. Artistic>Watercolor
B: Copy A. PlasticWrap. Lighten mode, 35%
C: MergeVis (A,B). Distort>Ripple. BrushStrokes>AngledStrokes
D: Copy BG. Bandpass (4 - 2.5). LinearLight, 80%
E: Copy BG. Highpass 0.5. LinearLight, 68%. Layer mask in black painting with white in low opacity to bring back hints of some of the details: building windows, ship masts, flag, buses.
Finished with a Hue/Sat layer to slightly darken and greatly increase saturation.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChicagoPA.jpg (92.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2005, 10:43 PM

You got a great result for all your hard work. Phyllis Stewart has been my inspiration for years now, her work is outstanding. Her results here were clever and the detail is terrific, I agree.

http://www.pbase.com/pstewart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 12:11 AM

Gotham City Skyline

- Removed Excess scenery to create space on the water for a nice reflection using a mixture of clone and healing brush
- Added stormy sky
- Blended building skyline to sky layer for a better transition
- Flattened image and then applied a little smart blur for Pen and Ink effect
- Adjusted each colour channel for atmosphere
- Copied top portion of image, flippped vertically applied ripple ( adjusted settings ) and placed in position for reflection
- Flattened image
- Adjusted curves for enhanced colour
- Added to separate layers for the rain ( Fill layer with black, add noise, gausian blur, adjusted levels, motion blur, screen noise ), adjusted opacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline.jpg (98.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 01:07 AM

Great job Axle!

Axle, your manipulation skills coupled with your great imagination has generated some wonderful results, this image among them. I sure hope you can honor us with a tutoral or two some day (or share links to the ones you learned from.) It came fast, but you sure deserve your Sr. status. Keep up the great work.

-Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
Axle, your manipulation skills coupled with your great
-Mark
Mark, thank you for you comments, its that kind of appreciation that gives me the motivation i need to keep pushing the boundries i set myself.

Tutorials ? Well i do have an idea for a couple, but setting time aside to document them, is difficult at present, but you have my word, you wont have to wait long.

I would be happy to share my links with you, however, most of the stuff I do is through my owns experimentation rather than following tutorials, but Bert Monroy and ALL of the Photoshop Dream Team are great resources.

You may find this one very useful:

Photoshop Support

I have a lot of books on Photoshop and the various elements and use them as a constant source for both reference and inspiration, only today i bought 2 new ones ' Photoshop CS Studio Guide' and 'Creative Photoshop Lighting Techniques' both of which look like fascinating addition to my collection.

Quote:
Axle, your manipulation skills coupled with your great imagination has generated some wonderful results, this image among them.
When i look at an image, i instantly get a rough idea of what i want to do, i try to create a new scene from what i have to work with, the hardest part is acheiving it.

My work flow needs to be improved as half the time i just get so involved that i dont keep track of what i am doing and before long, i lose myself completely, but that will improve with time.

Imagination is something i believe is a key part of the creativity process, and thats what makes us differ from each other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
Phyllis Stewart has been my inspiration for years now, her work is outstanding.[/url]
Totally agree. She's among the best.

- - - - - -

Axle:

Gotta leap on Mark's coattails. This is yet another terrific interpretation you've done. You continue to inspire all of us.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Original-Increase saturation, dup, photocopy, multiply-blend, merge, chalkoholic filter, aniso, usm, lighten blend with orig, dup orig and move to top of stack, softlight blend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicago-skyline.jpg (99.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Patron

B/W conversion.

Decided to do a b/w this time on this image. Lots of artifact cleaning, so I might have missed some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-52-arts-chicago.jpg (99.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges