RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #69 – Cedar Waxwing

Old 01-26-2003, 06:55 AM

T Paul That is outstanding. Love the colors
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 07:21 AM

Phyllis, your color pencil version is top shelf..REALLY like that one..

T.. REally like your impasto entry..That effect in Painter has a lot of possibilities..Painter has so much to offer and is hard to learn but with more and more folks posting, I think it will get easier as time goes by..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 09:40 AM

Nice one T, but why on earth did you want to leave it unfinished?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 10:38 AM

Anubis, you really have a knack for b/w...this one shimmers and glows, the shading is superb! Personally, I prefer b/w sketch looks to color or sepia. And many photos look more dramatic in b/w also, so keep up the good work! Have you tried working with separate color channels after turning each into b/w?

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 11:04 AM

WOW...truly blushing on my end. Thanks everyone for the great compliments.

Phyllis..."left to eat your dust", that's quite the compliment coming from you. Thanks! I felt a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by Painter too so I am just starting with it slow and easy...baby steps. You should experiment with it's cloning tools as they make a master painter out of anyone. So in a way I am cheating as I am just cloning. When I produce an image on my own and not from a tracing...then that truly will be a wonderful feat!

BigAl,
I must admit it was hard to leave unfinished. Orginally I had planned to leave more of it unfinished so that everyone could see the steps I took in Painter, but I was having so much fun and was so impressed with the impasto brush that I completed more than I intended to. I am just using all the default settings right now, but when I really learn this program and start playing with the settings, layers, filters and so on...look out!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 11:30 AM

WOW! Such great entries in this challenge.

Danny,
Nice watercolor effect. I also like the torn edges border.

CollinF
Great entries. The watercolor is my favorite though. It has a very soft look to it.

Phyllis,
“The Usual” Another nice simplified filter entry. I really like the strong, simplified shapes it creates. Definitely a really nice technique. As for the “un-usual”…very bizarre almost psychedelic man

Alan,
Love the sepia results and the border works great with the image!

Chuck,
Nice results. I like your techniques of using a large brush on the outside and decreasing the size of the brush as you worked in. The results are more details in the center where the subject matter is and thus where your focus should be. Nicely done!

CJ,
The splatter strokes created a lovely texture, almost like you are looking through thick textured glass. I like the glowing edges too. Overall, the image has a very nice look to it. Well done!

Chuck,
Paint Engine hmm….very nice results! Think I will have to experiment with it too. Looks like fun!

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 01-26-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 11:43 AM

Blacknight,
WOW! Love the results! The colors are vibrant making the image just pop of the page, yet still soft. I am going to have to try this technique out. I like both entries, but I like the crispness of the first. Very cool!!

Jim,
Very nice Painter results. I like your technique of simplifying the image before working on it in Painter. I will have to try that one out for myself. Nicely done!

BigAl –Very soft tone almost like using pastels and painting with light. Your second image is great as well. It does look like it could be a bird book cover.

PJB,
I like the dark tone and the rough edge border. The black outer border really makes the image “pop”.

Phili1, Schwartzie, Goldcoin, Wanda
Very nice entries. Looks like the waxwing has been a great subject and inspiration to everyone.

Trimoon,
Very lovely results. Soft, delicate, and a very nice border. Very well done! Love the watercolor entry as well. Simply beautiful.

David,
Love the bold brush strokes in the background!

Jerry,
I like your ink sketch results. It’s very similar to what I did with the impasto brush in Painter. Looks like we had very similar ideas.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 11:52 AM

Semara,
Great results for your first Photo Art entry! I like your concept of looking out at the birds through a snowy window. Nicely done.

Phyllis,
Two more great entries. I don’t know which I like better. I like the crispness of the color pencil entry, but I like the fluidness of the one done with Virtual Painter Collage.

Anubis,
Very nice B&W pencil entry. You created some very realistic pencil results down to the smudging. The birds really stand out against the blurred background. Nicely done.

Really great work by all!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
Anubis, you really have a knack for b/w...this one shimmers and glows, the shading is superb! Personally, I prefer b/w sketch looks to color or sepia. And many photos look more dramatic in b/w also, so keep up the good work! Have you tried working with separate color channels after turning each into b/w?

Phyllis
Errr.... no. Actually, I've not givien it any thought till now. Will try it out tonight. Thanks Phyllis.

And T Paul,
thanks for your comments. Am trying to figure out a way to get the exact effect of your background with PS7 (I do not have the Painter software). Any tips that you can offer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 12:12 AM

T...

Positively jaw dropping. Awesome and inspirational.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges