RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #70 – Hank’s Rose

Old 01-05-2003, 07:31 PM

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE -or- NEW TO PHOTO-ART?
See below for "Information and Guidelines."

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next major challenge is posted here.

The base image can be downloaded by clicking the link near the bottom of this lengthy introduction!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

This stunning image was taken by Hank K., one of the regulars from DPReview, who graciously granted permission to use it in this mini-challenge. Stunning picture, I’d say.

Given how so many seem to enjoy creating floral art, there should be some terrific interpretations here.

As always, have fun.

~DannyR~

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

LEGAL VERBIAGE
Hank K retains the U.S. and international copyright © not only for the original image, but also for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use of this image without permission are prohibited.

- - - - - - - - - - -
INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum, which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this art form until the next major challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
* It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
* Everyone who participates is a winner.
* There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
. * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
. * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
. * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
. * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
. * Feeling animated? Animated entries are definitely welcome. There have been some really funny ones submitted in the past. Fish jumping, leaves falling, wheels turning. You get the idea.
. * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.

A special message to those who are new to Photo-art
… Who may be feeling a little uncomfortable about posting an entry.

If you’ve read this far, it means you’re at least curious. That’s a good sign.

But what if you’re feeling a little squeamish about posting your first image?

From time to time I hear from those who want to participate, but have considerable anxieties about posting their creations in these mini-challenge. “I’m just a beginner. My pictures don’t belong,” “I see the works of others and I know I’ll never get that good,” “How am I supposed to compete with those wonderful creations?” are typical expressions of concern.

To which I say: Put your fears to rest. This isn’t a competition. You will not be judged in the traditional “art critique” sense. Your honor isn’t on the line. This isn’t about who’s best.

Don’t hold back from participating and posting your creation because your initial attempts don’t measure up (in your own mind) to images generated by folks with more experience than you.

This is a no-fault, all-fun way to jump in the pool. Everyone started the same place: The beginning. Everyone who is more skilled and experienced than you got to that point by practicing, experimenting, asking questions, learning from others, and participating.

Can one learn without interacting with others? Sure. Can one learn as fast? Absolutely not.

When you participate, others get to know you. That makes it easier to ask them questions. Asking questions leads to learning from those with more experience than you. It just keeps getting better and better!

By all means give it a go. You’ll be glad you did.

The pep talk cheerfully brought to you by:

Danny Raphael
Photo-based Art Forum Moderator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose.jpg (70.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 01-05-2003, 07:51 PM

Created with an action I'm tinkering with. I'll publish it if I can make it work a little better.

The inside edge treatment came from the 2nd action in the collection that can be downloaded HERE.

~Danny~

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose-djr.jpg (69.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 PM

here's my entry. I used a combination of Cricket's watercolor technique, my watercolor action minus the watercolor layer, then I used the Minimum filter at 2 pixels, watercolor on the same layer at Brush detail: 12 Shadow intensity: 0 Texture: 3, and some painting using the brush "Heavy flow scattered" and the color picker.

- David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose dk.jpg (85.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-05-2003, 08:49 PM

That turned out great, David.

I especially like the results of Cricket's technique, too. Half the fun of this photo-art thing is taking this technique and mashing with that technique, toss in a little of this and that. You're turning into quite the photo-art chef!

The fact that you were able to keep track is a testiment to diligence.

Well done.

~Danny~
Old 01-05-2003, 09:17 PM

This picture lends itself well to a stark simple look, as Danny and David both realized. Here is mine.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose70_anisocutout.jpg (62.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Thanks Danny! I missed the edges collection when it was posted so thanks for the link to that, I really like that effect.

Phyillis - beautiful work! the cutout effect looks very nice on this image, I'll have to start experimenting with it.

- David
Old 01-05-2003, 10:03 PM

My humble try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose copy.jpg (97.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-05-2003, 10:32 PM

PJB, I love the crystal effect on the rose. The color change is great, and I especially like the way it shades the edges of each contour as it adds sparkle. Very creative look, and very pleasing.

Here is a watercolor look, with a multi-colored confetti brush on the bottom layer to give it some background color.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose_watercolor.jpg (75.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-06-2003, 12:30 AM

Wooo Weee... That watercolor one of yours Phyllis is a keeper. I love the effect. The background is perfect!

Now... please tell us how you did it.

Lisa
Old 01-06-2003, 12:41 AM

Phyllis .....the watercolor is super.... What a wonderful blending of colors!! A real winner!!

I tried some new filter combinations... with a layer of rice paper with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-ros.jpg (38.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-06-2003, 12:45 AM

Then came this red rose......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-red.jpg (50.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-06-2003, 12:52 AM

Here's my first attempt.

I used the select color range to knockout the black background and replaced it with white. Then, I used Artistic - Color Pencil filter, followed by Find Edge which was then faded, selection inversed and a drop shadow applied.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-rose-challenge.jpg (97.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 01-06-2003, 09:08 AM

Phyllis, I believe that's the best watercolor effect I've seen anywhere!

Here's my humble offering. Replaced the background in PS, then switched to Deep Paint for a painterly effect. Back in PS I added a top white layer with a layer mask and revealed the rose picture using Trimoon's Rust preset. A slight curves adjustment to finish off.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose-web.jpg (40.6 KB, 103 views)
Old 01-06-2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OhThatGirl2001
Wooo Weee... That watercolor one of yours Phyllis is a keeper. I love the effect. The background is perfect!

Now... please tell us how you did it.
Simple procedure, actually, and turns out different each time...guess I just got lucky here. The steps are in this tutorial: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4820

In this particular case the two layers that get blended by removing the mask were something like this:

1) original dupe with KPT pyramid paint filter, then hue/sat to give red rose with green background (filled separately) and
2) original roughed up with a swirled/smeared brushing at medium opacity over the original rose, which also filled in the white areas, color shifted in hue/saturation toward pink rose with blue background. Then painted over it, mostly just the background, with a large multicolored "confetti" brush.

Then I treated the two layers as described in the tutorial. The key to this painting method is that there are two slightly different layers, and you erase part of one by painting white on a black mask to blend them together in a splotchy sort of way to make the "painting" look. There are lots of ways to make the layers differ slightly in tone, color, shapes, grain, etc. so that the results can be pretty much anything you like.

Phyllis
Old 01-06-2003, 08:41 PM

Jim, that's really a wonderful job! You have certainly mastered the art of photo painting.

Lisa, very effective use of filters...good choices. The shadow and the black outline gives it a shadowbox look, as if it were mounted that way in a box frame. Nice idea.

Goldcoin, your work is so unusual and creative, always look forward to opening your posts. The red one with black outlines is especially pleasing...I picture it hanging on a wall over a white leather sofa!

Phyllis
Old 01-06-2003, 09:43 PM

Oh my, all renditions are beautiful. I like them all.

I'm getting addicted to Painter. My attempt here is oil pastel on silk. Silk is not really a good material for pastel but I want to put some texture.

One thing I found out about Painter: Painter compresses jpg aggresively but still gives a detailed picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks_oil_pastel-rose.jpg (46.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-07-2003, 12:59 AM

Tony, that is absolutely positively incredibly gorgeous! I could run out of adjectives before I praised this effort enough. Wow. I love the smooooooth silky satin look, and your brush strokes are just perfect. I have downloaded it to my keeper file.

Sadly, I am unable to use my Painter7 because my tablet driver is messed up and hubby has to get me a new one. Yes, I am a computer illiterate when it comes to installing or fixing programs...I just use 'em

Here's an oil painting look done in Photoshop. I attempted to make it look like the background was the rest of the garden out of focus. It's mostly done with scatter filter, clouds filter, black marble pattern adjustment layer, and a brushstroke pattern/texture I made a while back. I used the special pattern twice, normal size in color burn mode, and enlarged size in vivid light mode, both reduced opacity. This pattern can be found at:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&postid=41013.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose_oils.jpg (96.9 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 01-07-2003 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:34 PM

Phyllis
First of all congratulations and thankyou for taking on the mini-challenge forum..You have always provided great pics for us to work on.

Also, your watercolor is really exceptional and your last entry is also great..

Tony and Jim, both of your painted entries are really great.

Lisa and David, both very nice..The entries are all so pro looking..

As for me, I have locked myself in the closet and am fighting to get used to my new tablet and am trying to learn enough Painter to get along..I vowed that I would only submit in Painter till I learned enough of it to at least be fair at it.. Here is my try using Painter..

Jerry

P.S. Painter files must be huge..I had to reduce this to 700 pix. at zero quality..Hope it looks like something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rprose copy.jpg (84.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-07-2003, 08:39 PM

Definitely worth the closet time

Jerry:

Good for you on the Painter and tablet quest.

Down the road I can envision reading your reassuring a newbie, "Back in ot-three, I made that transistion myself. It was a struggle, but I made it. Look what I can do now. Someday, you'll get there, too."

Based on this creation, I'd say you're definitely on the right track.

Keep 'em coming.

~DannyR~
Old 01-08-2003, 04:30 AM

Thanks Danny.. So much to learn..So little time..

Jerry
Old 01-08-2003, 09:50 PM

Fantastic everyone. I love viewing all the different interpretations, and they're ALL beautiful

I was thinking of Valentine's Day when I did mine, a little early I suppose. I copied, pasted the rose into a background I already had on file. I then erased the black bk/ground from the rose. I applied Filter, Artistic, cutout and faded, to the rose and new background separately. I then added a little noise to the rose layer. Flattened. Opened in PhotoImpact, framed it and added text. Opened in PS 7 and painted out a lot of the frame so only the oval part of the frame was left. I had a lot of fun as usual. Thanks everyone for sharing your wonderful talent

Wanda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge#70hank\'srose.jpg (79.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-09-2003, 10:01 AM

Wanda
Very Pretty. I think I will print it, sign it, and save a few bucks on Vday..

Jerry
Old 01-09-2003, 10:56 AM

Jerry, LOL, you're too funny

Chuck, that is really pretty, looks like you're coming along quite nicely with Painter Classic The "gallery demons", boy you're not kidding either. I thought my computer went completely haywire. It sounds awfully technical to me Great work. Don't delte your images in the Gallery, wait and see, ok?

Wanda
Old 01-09-2003, 07:31 PM

Yet another beautiful image, Chuck Hopefully they will be safe within the walls of this forum! Keep them coming

Wanda
Old 01-11-2003, 03:06 AM

Very nice interpretations on this one.

My attempt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose.jpg (35.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Al, lovely delicate "tissue paper" look, and the background works well with it. Very nice rendition.

Phyllis
Old 01-11-2003, 09:09 PM

hanks_rose

Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? If we can apply that to sight instead of smell the answer is yes! They all are GREAT. Just put the rose thru the colored pen effect in PhotoImpact with a setting of 55. I thought about removing the crystalline edges but they made me think of an emerging butterfly and its cocoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose.jpg (34.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-12-2003, 01:06 AM

Al:

Always a pleasure to see your work. You sure make PSP do some amazing things.

- - - - - - -
Bubba:

Hello again. You're 2-for-2. This is an exceptional interpretation. Glad you decided to leave the crystalline edges. Definitely adds to the effect. Well done.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:11 PM

Here's my submission, hope you all like it. This took forever!!!

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house_of_cards.jpg (92.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 01-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Very clever one, Ken. Did you use TrueSpace?
Old 01-12-2003, 08:33 PM

WOW!! that's really neat, I can imagine that it took you a long time by the look of it! what program did you use for the 3D modelling?

- David
Old 01-13-2003, 01:55 AM

Thumbs down

Holy cow, Ken!

That's awesome!
Old 01-13-2003, 02:22 AM

I've been trying to remember what I did to get this result. As far as I can remember I ran a lithiograph filter then I'm not sure what i did but somehow I eneded up with something I liked so then I ran a eyecandy glass filter then a KPT materializer filter. I klnow I've missed some steps in the middle but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosesanda.jpg (94.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-13-2003, 12:44 PM

WOW!

Sanda, that's absolutely gorgeous! If you can duplicate the effect, pleeeeease let us know the steps. What program has a lithograph filter?

Phyllis
Old 01-13-2003, 02:14 PM

Thank you all, I used Bryce 5, Poser 4 and Photoshop.

Ken
Old 01-13-2003, 07:08 PM

Phyllis,
I managed to duplicate it. It wasn't as hard to remember as I thought, it seems some of the step in the middle cancelled each other out so they didn't make a difference. So I've omitted them.
so here it is.

1 Duplicate image
2 run Xero lithograph filter, settings vibrancy and colourization 127
3 run eyecandy 3.1 glass- mild distortion bevel 3 shape-button, flaw spacing 34, flaw thickness 37, opacity 56% refraction and brightness 100 hilight sharpness 32.
4 ktp 6 materializer tint amount 49% depth 100%
5 adjust colour balance- add a little red
6 clone out any artifacts around rose
and there you have it.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:09 PM

To many post to commet on each one but Chuck I like the look of yours, I think its outstandin and Phyliss your water color is just great and all the others are fantastic.

Anyway a little history brush tech wit a high pass and rice paper to give that etable effect. Like a rose on a cake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-ros.jpg (99.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-13-2003, 09:06 PM

Phili, I love how that turned out...wow! The little shreds of pink all over are great.

Sanda, thanks a bunch for giving us the steps in your marvelous method. I don't know what Xero Lithograph is...where do you get that or what program is it in?

Phyllis
Old 01-14-2003, 12:54 AM

Hi Phillis,
Here's the link to Xero graphics they have the plugin that I used for the rose. They have a number of other good plugins there too.
http://www.croaghross.com/itsatheory/xero/home.cgi
Old 01-14-2003, 12:55 PM

thanks for the link to the Xero graphics site, Sanda, those free filter's they've got look interesting.

- David
Old 01-20-2003, 05:46 PM

Here is the result of all the fun I had with this challenge. Being a Photoshop hobby amateur for a number of years, I am reminded by these challenges, just how much I really don't know how to do well. It is very nice to be lured out of my Photoshop comfort zone. Thanks, I enjoyed it. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70-hanks-rose.jpg (23.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-20-2003, 11:04 PM

Wow, Bob, that neon tube rose is amazing! How did you do it?

Phyllis
Old 01-21-2003, 03:45 AM

Re Wow, Bob !

Original, appropriate and very well done.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 AM

Hey Bob:

WELCOME BACK. Always nice to have folks who've been away for awhile leap back into the pool!

This is a very creative interpretation. Brilliant execution. Hope you'll be posting more in the near future.

~Danny~
Old 01-21-2003, 04:40 PM

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Phyllis, After running a simplify filter a few times, and Gaussen blur, I ran high pass filter (midrange), and than ran glowing edges filter (to taste). This created the neon tubes. The result needed a few more pink tubes which I freehand brushed in and touched up. I cheated on the lettering, (lacking neon how-to) and only ran bevel and emboss.

In a perfect world, I would have drawn (traced) the rose, made it neon as above, and learned how to create neon text. Maybe next time. Bob
Old 01-21-2003, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Cronin
Phyllis, After running a simplify filter a few times, and Gaussen blur, I ran high pass filter (midrange), and than ran glowing edges filter (to taste). This created the neon tubes.
I have been finding lots of uses for the high pass filter of late...but never would have guessed it could be used in this way! Thanks so much for the info. Tried it and it works great! Going to be fun trying out this filter combo on other pics! Nice of you to share it with us.

Here's a page from a coloring book...who doesn't remember the joy of a brand new box of crayons and a brand new book to color in. It's probably what got all of us started on "art" and now here we are!

I used IP Process adaptive equalization filter (free from web) to get the waxy bumps of the crayon texture...then used other filters, including high pass and cutout, and did a lot of layer blending too. Got the outer black outline by selecting the black background and contracting the lasso by a few pixels before lifting out the rose to its own layer.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crayon_rose.jpg (98.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-28-2003, 07:34 PM

hi,

saw I had downloaded the rose some time ago. I've been trying to make a metal look so used the chrome filter, laquer, blur, sharpen, glowing eddges and all sort of combinations. There's not much left of the actual rose but I post it anyway because in some sort of way I kinda like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70-hanks-rose.jpg (99.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-28-2003, 07:45 PM

Hi,

Here is my version of a metal etching.

Catia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catia-hanks-rose.jpg (92.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-28-2003, 11:25 PM

Hank's Rose

What a lovely image! Each rendition brings something new to the table. Here is my effort - smudged, weathered, changed lighting, and framed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hank\'s rose4drk framed.jpg (99.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-28-2003, 11:49 PM

Thanks, Don! It's part of the frame gallery in PhotoImpact. I was surprised I could add it and still keep under the size limit!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:31 PM

Roses are always fun. There are so many beautiful things that can be done to them. The entries have been excellent and varied.

I started by turning the black background white. Working from the bottom up.

1. Impressionist--tinfoil
2. imp--thick paint 2 no texture
3. imp--fossil 2 no texture.
4. find edges sketch layer.

Played with blending modes and opacity.

Then added a hint of color to the white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70-rose-impressionist-9wb.jpg (40.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-01-2003, 05:47 PM

I like roses. Here is something a little different for me. Done in PSP8..

Applied brushstrkes with a water color prest and then applied Pencil with the lumminance set to 200, blur to 7, intensity 70, and color blue.

Catia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catia-hanks-rose-djr.jpg (76.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 PM

A Rose by any Name

I thought the image of the flower againist the black background looked great and therefore saw no reason to change it. So I brought up the color in the stem and leaves to match the vitality of the flower itself and then tried to put a complementary frame around it. Nothing really outstanding, just how I saw it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hank\'s-rose-copy.jpg (48.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-05-2003, 05:09 PM

Catia... Missed your earlier version. This is a very creative interpretation. "A little different" on this one was a refreshing twist.

- - - - - -

Ronlcox... I've seen a lot of frame ideas, but none before like this. Simple and elegant w/o stealing the focus from the subject. Nicely done.

~Danny~
Old 11-12-2003, 07:22 PM

New Bud

Every time a rose comes to my sight I picture a flourishing of life and energy...

This is my first participation on a mini challenge... I hope you like it, I enjoyed lots working on it

I used a picture I took with underpainting filter, after, that, I gave each layer an inner pink glow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-ros.jpg (76.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-12-2003, 07:34 PM

Welcome Marilen:

This is a lovely creation. I hope we see more of your images in the future.

~Danny~
Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 AM

gausian blurr 4
unsharp mask 100
gausian blurr 4
unsharp mask 100
gausian blurr 4
unsharp mask 100
gausian blurr 4
unsharp mask 100

There must be some pattern here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose jpeg.jpg (62.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-22-2005, 10:05 PM

I thought this turned out good enough to post...

BG: Painter8 Clone of original using ColorPencilCloner3.
A: Copy BG. Angled Strokes. HardLight / 46%.
B: Copy BG. GaussianBlur. SmartBlur - EdgesOnly. Invert. Multiply / 26%

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rose_Hanks_P8_ColrPnclCln3.jpg (89.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-22-2005, 11:02 PM

Hey Mark! Very very nice. You are getting better and better at it. Keep up the good work, and congratulations!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:28 AM

Render-clouds filter in ps7.
I created about 4 different layers with different forgr and backgr colors (picked at random from image itself) and used the render-clouds filter for all. Erased various parts and used different blends. Finally merged with original - luminosity blend. Simple technique...would be nice if an action were created for this one.
Wish i could send in the layers palette, but my scr capture software has expired. Will do at a later date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose2-web.jpg (56.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by jaykita; 01-25-2005 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 01-25-2005, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Wish i could send in the layers palette, but my scr capture software has expired. Will do at a later date.
i dunno, alt-print screen worked fine for me so far... though it's sometimes quite an enigma if it captures whole screen or just the palette
Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 AM

Layer's palette of my image

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChecking
i dunno, alt-print screen worked fine for me so far... though it's sometimes quite an enigma if it captures whole screen or just the palette
Well, it certainly captured my palette!! Thanks J.C. I'm so embarrassed not to have thought about the print scr feature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-rose-layers.jpg (52.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Wish i could send in the layers palette, but my scr capture software has expired...

...alt-print screen worked fine for me so far... though it's sometimes quite an enigma if it captures whole screen or just the palette
1. Free screen print program (works great):

PrintScreen 2000: http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=292

- - - - - - - - -

2. To capture the active palette or dialog box: Alt + Ctrl + Print Screen
Old 01-25-2005, 07:16 PM

Lovely results everyone and thanks for the link to the screen capture program.

I extracted the rose from the black bg. Created a new square canvas and filled the bg with pink and white clouds (using Mura Meister Cloud Filter). Used PSP8.1 Texture/Weave filter. Neat Image/Reduce Noise on the rose which gave it a nice dreamy glow effect. Placed the rose on the new bg and added a drop shadow. Merged all layers. Applied Impressionist/Trimoon III - djr/Modified. Added a mask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Only a Rose.jpg (85.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-25-2005, 08:08 PM

Ohhh, Neve, tis simply wonderful. I love the way the tiles contrast with the soft dreamy flow of the rose. Great Composition!

Janet
Old 01-26-2005, 12:33 AM

Thanks a bunch Janet!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Patron

Hank's Rose

After downloading the file, I copied the layer and removed the black. I then ran Isables_Pastel_Sketch.atn on it and made some adjustments at the various stop points. There are numerous steps involved in the action. I've uploaded this action and it may be posted in: Resources/PhotohopFiles/PhotoshopActions. On this site when cleared by the moderator.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Patron

Oil of Rose

Sample of my current oil rendering technique. Lost some of the details due to jpeg compression, but I think the oil still shows. Outline of all my methods can be found at the following links:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/164228

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/142039

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/152209

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...chmentid=17123

Last edited by lkroll; 01-28-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:14 AM

Lkroll - welcome! These are marvellous but the 4th link didn't work for me?
Love the train but thought the third one was fantastic. Well done.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Patron

Can't figure out how to use RetouchPro's interface,...

...so I'm relinking the image via imageshack:

http://img176.exs.cx/img176/2437/oilofrose0pd.jpg

You will need to hover your mouse cursor over the lower left of the image and click on the expand button to see the detailed picture. Anyway, for some reason, I do not have the ability to create linked attachments within retouchpro; I guess this must be a paid service.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
Lkroll - welcome! These are marvellous.

Love the train but thought the third one was fantastic. Well done.
Ditto what Neve said, Lyle. Welcome. Bring more of your FM friends over. You're always welcome.

You sure have mastered Gimp. As you noted in one of the FM threads you've developed "a process," not a filter recipe. It really shows. You do some fine work.

re: embedding links in a RP thread
Not sure why you're having problems... Here's what I do:
* Copy the URL
* In the compose post dialog, click the "world with a link" icon to engage that dialog.
* First box: Type the replacement word/phrase, e.g., "Click here" + OK
* 2nd box: Paste the URL + OK. That ought to do it.

Hope to see more of your creativity in the future.

~Danny~
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Patron

Thanks.

Still can't seem to link a photo thumbnail to a post, but I'll continue to submit external links when I get additional inspiration. Anyway, due to the high amount of compression, the above oil lost some of its details (but I kept it under 100K per this boards requirements).
Old 01-28-2005, 03:44 PM

Ditto Danny and Neve. You do some great work. Shhhhh, please don't let my husband see you are using GIMP. He has been trying to get me moving in that direction for a year now. However, if I can get the results you did, it might not be so bad.

Janet
Old 01-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Patron

Hey Janet

I hope your husband does talk you into using GIMP. I use both GIMP 1.2.5 and GIMP 2.2 (some features in the old GIMP were removed from the new, so I'm keeping both; also the GIMP 2.2 lighten only layer property has a bug in it). Anyway, GIMP is very much worth the investment in time to learn. The user interface, in my opinion, is superior to that of Photoshop 5.0 (version that I have currently), and some of the plugin's in GIMP have no equivalent in Photoshop.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:17 PM

An edit and an action

Since I don't always remember all the steps, I wrote an action.

1. Recropped and expanded canvas of the original image for aesthetics.
2. Ran the action (attached below)
3. Resized and added color-coordinated border. *grin*

It's easy to create many variations using this action. It's released to public domain, and I'd be interested in seeing your results, as well as getting suggestions for improvement.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-roseESK.jpg (90.8 KB, 26 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Esketch2.zip (1.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by sidis; 01-29-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidis
Since I don't always remember all the steps, I wrote an action.
An action is an EXCELLENT (and very efficient) way to document and share your steps. Well done.

I like the results a lot... and your action does provide many opportunities for variation.

Send me an e-mail (click my name above) and I will reply with a revised action and suggestions.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:12 PM

winter's coming...

poor frozen rose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks rose-frozen.jpg (91.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-26-2005, 02:08 PM

thana, oh wow, how cool...er, cold, well, you know what i mean

Craig
Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Hank's Rose

This is my first attempt at a mini-challenge. Great concept!
None of the filters used are in Photoshop... all are compatible plug-ins.
1) "serious fog" from Xero
2) "Adaptive Equalization" from IP Process
3) "Moodlight" from Xero
4) "Flourescent Palette Knife" from Imressionist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose-belhbo.jpg (96.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Patron

Nice effect, thana and belhbo.

Cathy
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Craig and Cathy,
thanks much you have similar temperatures maybe? :]

belhbo,
nice effect, indeed - i've noticed that many people here use Xero's filters, i'm starting to think about geting some...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:02 AM

thana and belhbo:

Your creativity is a breath of fresh air. That's why we enjoy having new people join us.

Well done.

~Danny~
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 AM

dont know about temperatures, thana, but you must have rubbed off on me a bit. i recently did a nude where i froze the woman in a forest. cant post it here due to the 'R' nature of the nude, but seems the chill is spreading

Craig
Old 11-02-2005, 12:18 PM

hmm, make it PG13 and it'll pass maybe some link or something? i'm quite sure that many people here would like to see your work of art! pleeeease?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM

thana,

well, i could black out the 'naughty' bits, but i'd still have the problem that both the nude and the background dont belong to me, nor do i have permissions to use or post them and little way of obtaining such. it's just stuff i've collected over the years on the net and i've little idea where they came from now. and, if i were to post links to another site, it would still be infringement and RP hosting/linking to 'R' rated material.

sorta makes you wonder why i even did them if no one can look at them, doesnt it

Craig
Old 11-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
sorta makes you wonder why i even did them if no one can look at them, doesnt it

Craig
just a little, Craig, just a little
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM

Great job, everyone! Amazes me how many different approaches folks here use.

I'm not into pink roses, so my personal challenge was to change the color of the rose more to the red side. I used PS CS2's healing brush's change color option and simply painted over the pink areas with an orangy red. I also selected the white areas of the rose and added just a tinge more color there.

Added the shadow, background and border. I didn't use any painterly effects or special filters except "clouds" and "texturizer" for the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-70-hanks-rose.jpg (99.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-20-2005, 02:06 PM

Smile Hanks Rose with Diamonds and Gold

Just stumbled across your website and found the challenge. Thought I'd try a Diamond and Gold rose.
Thanks for such an entertaining thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose-diamonds.jpg (47.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Langston
Just stumbled across your website and found the challenge. Thought I'd try a Diamond and Gold rose.
Thanks for such an entertaining thread!
Well done, EZ... very innovative approach.

Glad you found us. Keep 'em coming.

~Danny~
Old 11-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Patron

Wow, nice work here. I did a montage using several photos and then buzzed it and used different layer modes to try and get a dramatic effect.

Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg challenge-70rose.jpg (89.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Here's my example. You can see another version I tried on www.pbase.com/twolaidback

TwoLaidBack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-70-hanks-rose_TLB-1.jpg (78.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by TwoLaidBack; 12-03-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 PM

tis the season to be snowy!

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose-1-k-1a.jpg (93.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:09 PM

A rose is a Hank's rose.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roseSC.jpg (99.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Another "go" at Hank's rose.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoseSC3.jpg (96.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM

Thankyou for the lovely rose Hank...coulnt resist it so i did it twice....

The first one with the tape effect frame i did witha free plugin from toadies called metal work and then put a frame around it from psp 8.

The second one i did in autofx dreamy...another freebie plus flaming pears flood..i love this plugin..then i put the frame around from psp 9...felt it needed a plain one...

regards Patricia Kay.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Hello Patricia.

I like the flooded rose. "Flood" is a fun plugin.

Steve C.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM

patricia,

yup, i'm with steve; i like the 2nd one too nice job.

Craig
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Re: PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #70 – Hank’s Rose

Trying interlacing out. To me they look very clear to view and they compress down well. You need to view them full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanks-rose-MA.jpg (178.8 KB, 6 views)

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges