RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #84 – Model A Truck

Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 PM

Ken, like the distressed-look texture you added... is perfect with the subject matter.

Bob, I especially like the ghostly glow effect on the b/w version...love how you added the passengers very subtly.

Phili, that exploding bush effect is great...nice framing for any pic, really...must remember that trick. Your metal sheen technique is wonderful! You might consider posting a short tutorial on the settings etc. for doing that. Please?

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 07:19 PM

Move over LeRoy Neiman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ab_model-a.jpg (97.7 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 01:21 AM

Andrew..WOW! You've got to explain how you got those awesome colors! Did extreme unsharp mask filter have a hand in it? Did you use a multi-color brush perhaps? Please tell! Did you do this all in Photoshop or use VP?

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 02:20 AM

Hi Phyllis,

It was an accident, at least to begin with. I was working on the truck picture and not sure what to do next. So to relieve the tension I thought I'd amuse myself by loading it into HyperTyle with texture turned off and hitting it with random effects. All of a sudden one popped onto the screen that reminded me of LeRoy Neiman style so I saved it.

Today I took another look and liked it better than what I had before. But is was not quite right. So I used Color Mechanic to shift pinks to the off-whites. Then used Select|Color Range along with a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and to move goldenrods to yellows. And another color change that I forget now. That got my colors right but it was too rough. I had to use small doses of median, buzz, and reduce graininess to mellow it, which also ended up adding to a stroke feel.

Anyway, I don't know if this can be replicated. This is an interaction with my rendered version, not the original picture. And who knows if this will even work on a rendered version of a different picture. I just got lucky and then followed up by taking it further.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 06:28 AM

Oh; thought that was a Greatful Dead model A.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 10:34 AM

Andrew....i like the second a little better. the first is bold and bright but the second is smoother and softer. how were you using hyper tyle? i have it but didnt think to use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 11:45 AM

Hi Kudbegud

>>Andrew....i like the second a little better. the first is bold and bright but the second is smoother and softer.<<

Now that I've been looking at them more, I like the smoother one better too. I guess I was being too critical. I think I might change the windshield, though. Maybe make dark areas so the light areas looks like reflection instead of dirt.

>>how were you using hyper tyle? i have it but didn't think to use it.<<

On this picture, I turned off textures, went to the Adjust menu, and hit the random button again and again. I was just goofing around. I actually bought it last week to apply textures, but haven't found a suitable picture yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 01:16 PM

thanks Andrew...one more tool to play with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 10:03 AM

Well, that was odd. I made a change to my second truck picture and tried to replace the previous version. What I got was the new name but the old picture. So I deleted the picture, saved, went into edit again but there was no option to attach a picture.

So I'm posting it here. Not much change, just made the windshield darker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ab_model-a_ver2b.jpg (98.9 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2003, 12:58 PM

I don't know what it is about old junkers, falling down barns, and dead trees, but they make great photo.art subjects. The original photo is great and I've enjoyed looking at all the renditions in the thread.

I stayed pretty close to the 4th tutorial on this page. http://www.dynamicdesign.biz/gallery/gallery12.htm except skipped the last 3 steps and used around 100 instead of 3000 in the ink stack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84model-abz12wb.jpg (71.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges