RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #91 – Vietnamese Lady

Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 AM

Jill, your craquelure idea is so similar to my most recent attempt that I won't even post it. I did pretty much the same thing but used an embossed leather pattern instead of embossing with craquelure. What's that they say about "great minds"...?

Pam, CJ, and Amanda, love how you show just her head and scarf...and brought out different aspects of the woman’s life. Pam’s shows a gentle softness in the aged face, CJ’s intense dark image shows determination in adversity, and Amanda’s shows pain and anger. All those moods from one face!

Jerry, a lovely and complete portrait. I really like the framing effect you created, and how you faded out the background. You definitely softened her look...even looks a bit like a smile now!

Jean, you have such a great imagination. Clever idea and very well done. And great job making her look young!

Ken, great illustration...just enough outlining to emphasize her expression, and the coloring and textures are subtle enough to add interest without distracting the eye from it.

Chuck, dreaming of better days? WOW! This one is beautiful and powerful!

These are all so inspired...what a wonderful batch of photo art here tonight!!!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 03:00 AM

Outline done with strong motion blur, then unsharp mask, touch of crosshatch, parchment pattern overlay.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vietnamese_sketch.jpg (99.1 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 07:16 AM

Phyllis… You are the master of sketches. Your rendition is specatacular. I have seen challenges that I wanted to try that effect and have no idea where to start. Do you know of a site with a tutorial that could help me try this type of rendition? You have inspired me to try this technique!

Jean
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 PM

She reminds me of my grandma.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viet_lady.jpg (99.2 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Phyliss nice pencil sketch as always

Twins NJ love the pattern

Pam brings out the pain and suffering.

CJ nice tp see you again., Very nice brings out the harship she had.

Jerry nice effect.

Thermanda, awsome effect.
Ken nice combo pencil & water.
Chuck, I like the dream effect, make her pretty.
Agnu, nice painting effect & frame.

Being a Photog at heart I tried for a dramatic effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91_vietnamese_lady-4-jpg.jpg (99.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 09:10 PM

A wonderful image, Jeanie. Thanks for sharing it. And thanks, too, to each of you for sharing your creativity.

Here's how I did mine...
1. Applied Levels adjustment layer to original layer to bring out some shadow detail (selective via layer mask).
2. Merged levels and BG into a separate layer.
2a. Duplicated layer created in previous step.
3. Added Noise (5,Guassian,mono)
4. Applied olored Pencil (4,14,38)
5. Duplicated BG and dragged copy to top of layer stack; changed blend mode from Normal to Color.
6. Created a new layer at top of layer stack.
7. ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E to merge all visible layers w/o collapsing.
8. Applied Gaussian blur (2)
9. Applied Watercolor (7,0,1)
10. Duplicated layer created in step 2; moved to top of layer stack, created a layer mask which was inverted (CTRL+I)
11. Chose soft-edged brush, selected airbrush, low opacity, low flow, foreground color=white and airbrushed in some eye and facial detail.
12. Flattened and applied Bud's blackwood matte frame (with a Hue/Sat adjustment layer).
13. Applied texture via separate layer filled with 50% gray and blend mode set to Overlay, opacity=10%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91_vietnamese_lady2-djr.jpg (79.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-23-2003 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinANJ
Phyllis… You are the master of sketches. Your rendition is specatacular. I have seen challenges that I wanted to try that effect and have no idea where to start. Do you know of a site with a tutorial that could help me try this type of rendition? You have inspired me to try this technique!

Jean
Thanks, Jean, but I am not the sketch master...lots of folks here really excel at pencil sketch techniques that I am, frankly, too lazy to tackle. I just started with the basic outline technique and made a change in the "gaussian blur" step. You can read the detailed method here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4770

The change I made was this: Instead of gaussian blur, I used motion blur set to a large distance (you can see just how much by the size of the dark blur behind her head). I overlaid this version onto a layer which had been treated with Videorave convolver plug in, but you could also use a layer with another method which emphasizes and/or raises edges without eliminating the photo's solid areas.

The rest of the job involved a few other filters and a pattern overlay, but the basic "sketch" resulted from the method in the link above. I later blended it over a b/w version of the original which had been treated with artistic>film grain and a bit of (faded a lot) brushstroke>crosshatch. Lots of little tweaks along the way which I can't recall, but you are off to a good start with the basic blur>color dodge layers method that most folks use somewhere in their sketch.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 05:58 PM

First Color Sketch

Thank you for the link Phyllis! Went out did the tut --- played with texture, brightness contrast, and used the art history brush to bring in some color. Had a great time learning how to do this !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstscetch.jpg (99.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by TwinbNJ; 02-24-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:51 PM

Danny - loved the look
Jill - nice first sketch!

bubba
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Thumbs down WOW!!!

Hi everyone,

Wow! All of these renditions are superb! I've been visiting my sister and having a difficult time keeping up with everything here are RP. Her unusually slow AOL dial-up connection is driving me crazy. (I'm used to a cable connection.) Plus, chasing a toddler around doesn't leave much time for being online. So, I don't have time to comment on everyone's individual entries , but I did want to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed all of the different versions of this photo!

You all are the best!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges