RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #94 – Hold the Phone

Old 03-03-2003, 08:22 PM

Hold The Phone

With all these fantistic submissions I am almost embarassed to submit my humble attempt. I got a very 1920's feel from the original and wanted to do more of a sketch, but got jpeg'ed. Anyway here is my simple submission, photo Deluxe-Sepia Tone, PS 5.0-Graphic pen, Media Spark-Darkrn edges. Hope this works, the last one was too large so I had to reduce the file size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94_phonecopy1.jpg (40.6 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 11:08 PM

Well, I didn't know what to do with this so I just started playing around to find some inspiration -- first lightened it up quite a bit, then did the SlapDash3 action to use as a "painterly" base. Then added the eyes back to serve as a focal point -- they had all but been obliterated by the paint effect. Then levels with a layer mask to darken everything and serve as a light channel coming from the upper right to our star... lastly, a close crop and a Splat frame and there you go.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hello, statue.jpg (97.4 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by sdubose99; 03-07-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 AM

So many expressive entries with this great pix, enjoyed viewing them.

Tried a watercolor, maybe later an oil......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94_phone-goldcoin.jpg (88.5 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 02:39 AM

Mikl, you achieved a great texture with that filter combination... I like it! I would suggest, however, that you partially remove some of the effect from the face especially around the eyes since you don’t want an effect to change a face or expression too much.

Tony, very clever! Now it has a totally new mood. Wondering what she’s thinking about so seriously? She looks distressed, like she can’t pay the rent, or had a fight with her boyfriend, or can’t find her phone.

Jean the lighting and texture work together to add depth and enhance the mood...good job!

BK, wow! Pychedelic! A sixties girl with an antique phone, I’ll bet!

Phili, I like how your simplifying effect has softened the pic, especially the background...gives it a new feel entirely. I’m not sure about the enlarged texture though...reminds me of worms.

Willie, good use of graphic pen to add texture. Looks like a cross between old photo and sketch...simple yet effective.

Scott and Goldcoin, two nice soft watercolor looks. A smart way to go with this pic because of the jpeg artifacts.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 04:24 AM

A bit less
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94_phone_mikl_b.jpg (98.8 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 09:55 AM

Jerry: Positively BRILLIANT.

- - - - - - - - -
Used a modified version of the Slap-Dash3 action mentioned in THIS THREAD, followed by an application of the Edit > Stroke command (twice) for the frame.

- - - - - - - - -
Thanks to Mike Finn for the action and PJ for such an adoarable pic to work on!

~DannyR~

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hold-the-phone-djr.jpg (56.4 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-04-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 01:44 PM

WOW!!!!

Everyone did such a great job that I had to take a shot myself. I saw what I wanted immediately! I knew before I even uploaded to PC that this was going to be sometype of painting look. I am already shopping for a frame!

After seeing all the wonderful work you have done I am almost embarrassed to show you all my version....oh well, here goes, although it is rather boring compared to what I have seen so far!

http://www.pbase.com/image/13739999/medium

Gosh, you are all really really good at this!

Take care,
NiteOwl
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 05:26 PM

This picture has generated such great responses since I last checked in.. Very nice entries..

Niteowl..Very nice addition to the collection..We are a friendly lot..Never hesitate to post your photoart..We all take our chances..Some good.. Some very experimental.. But we all have fun playing with these challenges..

Danny, thanks for the nice comments.. The minute I saw this pic., I saw that mag. cover in my head..I have been playing with Mikes slapdash actions..My stuff just isn't that good..You have Really captured the value of his action with your entry..Very painterly effect..Maybe some hints on the proper way to use the action would be helpful..Thanks for all of your action effort..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 08:15 PM

First time poster, although I 'hang out' occassionally over at DPREVIEW with Danny. I wanted to really change the mood on this one and highlight the phone.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phonemood2.jpg (54.3 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 10:04 PM

Hi Bill:

This is a facinating interpretation. Welcome to the funny farm!

Hope you continue to post your creations so the folks here can benefit from and be inspired by your creativity as I have.

Don't hesitate to wave the flag if I can help you find your way around. BTW: The cleverly hidden site map can be found by clicking the link beneath my signature. It may (or may not) be helpful!

Again, welcome. Glad to have you join us.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges