RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #107 – Wagon

Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM

Bill - very clean - nice conversion to BW...I agree with Phyllis - professional looking.
Kind regards,
Bill C
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 05:01 PM

Second (and 3rd) try

Bill M, excellent work. This bw looks like an original. Bravo !

Second try :
- grayscale, levels...
- Ancient Photo Digital Focus atn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107_wagon_ancient_photo.jpg (98.8 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 05:02 PM

Variation on second try

3rd try :
- grayscale, levels...
- Ancient Photo Digital Focus atn
- Antique Engraving atn, Normal at 60 %

Don't realy know wich one I prefer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107_wagon_anc_photo_antq_en.jpg (95.7 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Billm.. Very nice b/w rendition.. As previously stated, looks very professional. Any hints on how to start to do a conversion like that?

Mikl.. Nice sepia effect.. I really like the first one better.. The second is a little washed out on my monitor.. Nice Work..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 11:18 PM

In Photshop I got rid of the powerlines and that tower thingie, added a copy on a second layer, opacity 70% and drop shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107wagoncopy.jpg (78.9 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2003, 08:14 AM

Jerry-- Thanks for the kind words. As far as hints go for b&w, that would be like taking hints from a musician who plays by ear when your studying classical piano! But I can at least tell you what I tried to do. I'm sure there are great books out there that I should be reading.
After studying great b&w photos, it seemed that grey is the enemy and contrast is your goal, but without large blotches of black or white. So using curves adjustment layers (about 10), including the eyedroppers, I maximized contrast everywhere on the image. I then sat back and studied where it was too harsh or too distracting or just too ugly.
The following three small thumbnails, I hope, will illustrate that sequence. The top is just desaturate. The middle is full contrast. The last is the final product. What's amazing is that not once was sharpening used. I'll try this flow for a while and see if it works again.
Best regards, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon comb.jpg (99.2 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2003, 08:31 AM

Part 2-- The wagon photo did not have one channel superior to the others, so I just used desaturate. But the following photos show the opposite:
The top is right out of the camera.
The middle is desaturated.
The bottom is the g channel only.
Makes a big difference. To me the bottom one actually captures the depth of the red better. The middle one looks like pink should look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheelcom.jpg (97.3 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2003, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill M
So using curves adjustment layers (about 10), including the eyedroppers, I maximized contrast everywhere on the image. I then sat back and studied where it was too harsh or too distracting or just too ugly.
Bill, I want to repeat this back in different words so that I know I understand what you're saying... If I followed your images correctly, the first thing you did was a curve to add lots of contrast to the entire photo. Then, you created another curves adjustment layer and used the eyedropper to run over areas in the photo you wanted to change, noted the corresponding range on the curve, and adjusted just that area of the curve until the area looked like you wanted. Then, created another curve adjustment layer and did the same for a different area, etc.

Did I understand that right? Did you use any masking in your curves adjustment layers?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2003, 11:41 AM

That's pretty much it, except I used a mask on every single adjustment layer. It took the ten layers and masks to achieve the middle look, and that is where I flattened for the first time. Then still more masked layers were used to reach the final look. I believe every mask was a black inverted mask where I would paint with white to bring out the small correction I had made. Never could I get anything useful from a curve applied to the entire image. Each little area of the image, such as the shadow under the wagon or the front of the wagon, required its own individual treatment. The rest of what you say is true. It's trial and error and might seem tedious, but it was fun.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM

Fascinating Bill! Thanks for the explanation.

You might be interested in this Color-to-B&W conversion method by Russell Brown. Click on the "more tips" button and then scroll down the tips until you find "Seeing in Black and White" - there's both a Quicktime movie and PDF file explaining the technique. I've found it to be quite flexible - esp. when you get to the last "But wait, there's more!" section.

Jeanie

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges