RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #140 – Steam Engine

Old 12-31-2005, 08:18 AM

Funny thing this old photo has been lying around in a desk drawer for many years.

Thought I would post it anyway, even though time has taken it's toll.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140-steam-engineSC.jpg (90.7 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Patron

Like this one Craig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
i'm sorry; this is a bit of a shameless rip-off of the polar express idea, but it was what first came to mind

simple enough to do:

cut out the train and made a new image of it.
reduced the size to fit the mars image
pasted it into the mars image
touched things up a bit to make it look more 'real'
added the smoke on a blank raster layer
cloned an extra car onto the train for better depth

craig
For some reason, it reminds me of "Back to the Future III".
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 AM

thanks lk

Quote:
For some reason, it reminds me of "Back to the Future III".
yup, i can see that. i'd forgotten about that movie.

do you print any of your renditions out, lk? i was thinking that your last one would look great on one of those thick, absorbent type papers.

and steve,
i love that rustic, nostalgic, aged look on this one. nice job.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 PM

Thanks, and a tip of the Conway sombrero to you for the nice comments. Trains are one of my favorite things.

Steve

Quote:
thanks lk

and steve,
i love that rustic, nostalgic, aged look on this one. nice job.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 PM

steve,

ah, a train man. cool i, like many, many others, have always had a bit of a fascination with locomotives. to fullfill my desires in this regard, many years ago a small software company, named 'Poptop', decided to do a sequel to Sid Meier's very successful 'Railroad Tycoon' that was written back in the days of the 8 bit computers. when i heard this, i contacted the company and was admitted to the ranks of 'beta tester' for this software. the game was a huge success and the little company got on the map. they've done other titles since, and not that long ago did yet another sequel, 'Railroad Tycoon iii'. once again i jumped on the bandwagon and beta tested for them. (i also beta tested the patches for these games and the add-ons). the point being, i looked at and bookmarked MANY railroad fan sites. here's just one that has loads of pictures of trains of all sorts. this is a commercial site selling the images imprinted on various things like t-shirts and mugs and so on. so, i'm sure they have the copyrights and you'd want to be sure to check with them before using any of these. i'm also fairly sure they wouldnt mind as long as they got a bit of free advertising out of it, but do check with them first.

http://www.toltecimages.com/index.html

i've got a lot of these links if that one doesnt satisfy

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 03:52 PM

Neat Craig.

Am very familiar with Railroad Tycoon. Also would like to recommend a program called "Train Town." Don't know if you can still buy it in the stores. However, it's like playing with a set of trains of your own. You can build cities, landscapes, & tracks, or you can run some of the games of loading and unloading passengers and freight and getting them to the proper destinations.

Will have to check out your recommended site.

Steve

Quote:
steve,

ah, a train man. cool i, like many, many others, have always had a bit of a fascination with locomotives. to fullfill my desires in this regard, many years ago a small software company, named 'Poptop', decided to do a sequel to Sid Meier's very successful 'Railroad Tycoon' that was written back in the days of the 8 bit computers. when i heard this, i contacted the company and was admitted to the ranks of 'beta tester' for this software. the game was a huge success and the little company got on the map. they've done other titles since, and not that long ago did yet another sequel, 'Railroad Tycoon iii'. once again i jumped on the bandwagon and beta tested for them. (i also beta tested the patches for these games and the add-ons). the point being, i looked at and bookmarked MANY railroad fan sites. here's just one that has loads of pictures of trains of all sorts. this is a commercial site selling the images imprinted on various things like t-shirts and mugs and so on. so, i'm sure they have the copyrights and you'd want to be sure to check with them before using any of these. i'm also fairly sure they wouldnt mind as long as they got a bit of free advertising out of it, but do check with them first.

http://www.toltecimages.com/index.html

i've got a lot of these links if that one doesnt satisfy

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 PM

steve,

nope. no one seems to have train towns. found a couple places that said you could download the demo but the links were dead. even Sierra, the original publisher doesnt list it any more. oh well it apparently got up to being '3d ultra lionel train town deluxe' or something close to that, but no one is carrying it, not even amazon.com.

i've run across a few of these over the years. i used to have a model railroader's track layout software that was somewhat fun. and i did the whole 'A-train' on the amiga and sid meier's original and so on and so forth. never saw train town though. apparently it came out in 2000 and was never very popular.

maybe i'll find it on underdogs one of these days as abandonware

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Everybody loves trains. And the variety of renditions is awesome.

Here mine done in simple black and white in Painter 9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steamenginewebo.jpg (94.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Craig, try this number and maybe they can help. 1-800-757-7707.

Also you might see if this site is still up: www.nowthisisfun.com.

The full Name of the program is: Ultra Train Town Deluxe.

Steve

Quote:
steve,

nope. no one seems to have train towns. found a couple places that said you could download the demo but the links were dead. even Sierra, the original publisher doesnt list it any more. oh well it apparently got up to being '3d ultra lionel train town deluxe' or something close to that, but no one is carrying it, not even amazon.com.

i've run across a few of these over the years. i used to have a model railroader's track layout software that was somewhat fun. and i did the whole 'A-train' on the amiga and sid meier's original and so on and so forth. never saw train town though. apparently it came out in 2000 and was never very popular.

maybe i'll find it on underdogs one of these days as abandonware

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 PM

steve,

thanks, but i'm afraid that site is just a mirror of the sierra online site (the original publisher).

it's ok. probably wouldnt buy it anyways, but a couple places mentioned there was a demo and one even had a link but the link was busted. so, i'd probably just have played with the demo anyways. so, if you have the demo and can post it somewhere, why fine, otherwise, well, it's ok

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges