RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial (link): Edges, Outlines, Sketch effect

Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 AM

Glad it worked. I hate taking the easy way out, but I'm a little too strapped for serious coding.

I did some comparisons between Displace Sharp and Diffuse > Anistropic with regular photos. The closest I could get for a regular photo is:
Threshhold all the way over to the right.
All others to the left.
Not perfect, but awlfully close.

After a little more research, anistropic edge stuff is kind of interesting. Frustrating, but interesting. With more research and fiddling, I'm sure I can figure this out. Currently only working with the gradient and I think I need to implement magnitude.

Related, interesting stuff:
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschu...tion/demo.html *very impressive
Canny Edge Detection

Crystalize is in the Worley cellular family. I understand the idea behind the algorithm, but I don't fully understand the exact mechanics of it just yet. You have build a list/array, find distances, modify the list/array, and a few other things. I'm working on it, but it's slow.

Back under my rock for awhile.

edit:
Oh! While the little one was helping me clean the microwave, the anistropic thing hit me right in the face.
I completely undertand it now. My problem was that I was thinking of terms of a single gradient derivative (I hate calculus, but it has it's uses).
Woohoo!
All I had to do was back up and think 2d.
Can't wait for this weekend.

Last edited by Stroker; 03-09-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 11:34 AM

Stroker, thank you, I found the links very, very interesting.

PSP9 has a new filter called 'Digital Camera Noise Removal' (DCNR). It really works very well and has setting for small, medium and large noise removal. It also has the capability of protecting the part of the image that you do not want affected by the filter. I have found it very useful.

When I was searching for the Crystallize filter, I found the following explanations (but,no filter)....

Shows results...
http://www.rice.edu/Computer/Tutoria...p/stylize.html

"Crystallize
This filter achieves its effect by applying irregular solid-color shapes. The user-defined option of cell size specifies the size of the solid color shapes. This filter will make the image look as if the surface is covered with bumpy glass."

"The Crystallize Filter changes the image into a mass of polygonal shapes, making the image appear as if you are viewing it through a shower door. Clumps pixels into a solid color in a polygon shape. "

Thank you, for trying the settings, very helpful.

Joy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Cellular in a nutshell
http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/studerende/duff/Fortune/

Worley's original code
http://www.texturingandmodeling.com/Worley.html

Fun Voronoi applet
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Peopl.../Delaunay.html

Uber cellular plug for A:M
http://www.ypoart.com/Downloads/Worley.htm

Getting a bit off-topic, eh?
Gotta go squish the kids.

edit:
Kids are mostly squished, but need some more squishing.
I'll be back later with one of my favorite edge techniques.

Last edited by Stroker; 03-09-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Stroker, all of this is, waaaay over my head. I downloaded the Worley, but, I can't open it. It is a .TRB file (document ?), I have no idea what that is. When I click on it, I am ask what I want to open it with...duh. Too bad, it looked like it had real possibilities.

Joy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM

Sorry, Joy. I should have clarified. That plug is for Animation Master. I included it just to show some of the things that can be done with a cellular procedural.

beep
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 06:29 PM

Stroker, no problem. I am having too much fun learning to use the one you gave me.

Thank you, for helping me.
Joy

Last edited by Joy_CA; 03-13-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources