RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Software: DeepPaint 2.0 (FREE) Deep Paint

Old 12-15-2005, 04:17 PM

Catherine...I'm impressed. I had that version of Deep Paint ages ago and couldn't do a thing with it. Then I got version 2 and still didn't have the vaguest idea of what was going on. The book, Digital Visions, was terrible, from my standpoint.
Alan

Last edited by Alcar; 12-15-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM

Hi, Alan. Thanks for the encouragement. My Deep Paint is version 2.0.0.23. When the book first came, I thumbed through it, and it seemed like the author spent too much time with composition, etc., and I wanted to get to the tools! But then I took a hint from one of Danny's posts and have been going through and highlighting the instructional parts (under ACTIONS), and it's working better for me. I was hoping that those of us who have the book might work through it together and post our "masterpieces" here.

I learn best by doing. I could read instructions all day long and still not know much about a program, but when I get in there and have to figure things out as I go, it sticks in my brain a little better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Catherine...great idea. Perhaps in addition to showing off our masterpieces we can combine on tutorials, such as painting a portrait. Meanwhile, I going to start marking up my book!
Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
......I believe I read the plugin does not work under CS or CS2.)....
Just to put the record straight...
Deep paint works perfectly under CS, its just that it will not install the plug-in automatically as it does for 7.0.

For CS, you need to go to the folder
(program files)\Right Hemisphere\Deep Paint\Plugins\PSplugin
and copy the file
DeepPaint.8bf
to the CS2 plugin folder here:
(program files)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins
Works just fine, the way Craig described earlier.

I am very impressed with this program. As I remember what got me into this painting stuff was one of cat's "impasto" paintings.
I never seemed to get it right with Painter, but with Deep Paint the impasto is easy and very real (ah, so that's why it's called Deep Paint, duh )

This is fun.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 07:35 PM

8bf file?

I downloaded a 50 + meg zip file that contains an .exe and a .txt file.
? Does the exe file contain the 8bf file? ... and are there any other components that are needed to use Deep Paint in either Photoshop or Psp.

? Anyone try the plug-in within Painter too?

Regards and Merry Christmas and Happy Bowl Games

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 PM

Bob Mc, just unzip the .exe file to anyplace. This is the installer program.
Run the installer and it will set up all the DeepPaint folders for you and take care of all the rest.
And, if you have PS 7.0 installed, it will ask if you want to install the plug-in.

Haven't tried in Painter yet, but it ought to work - just have to let Painter know where to find the .8bf file.

Attached one of my try-outs. The "image processing" brush is fun, I used "Emboss from Layer Below" to bring out the roses.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeepPaint-byRo.jpg (99.1 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Perhaps in addition to showing off our masterpieces we can combine on tutorials, such as painting a portrait.
That would be wonderful, Alan!

Quote:
As I remember what got me into this painting stuff was one of cat's "impasto" paintings.
I'm honored if I helped in any way, Byro; your "tryout" is beautiful. I'm glad you've been using Deep Paint already and can point the way. I've been working hard in Painter, but I'm excited about learning Deep Paint as well. It's a great program on its own and not just a freebie version of Painter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 AM

Not up to tutorial standard yet, just a few interesting things I stumbled upon....

- You don't need to stay on the "Clone" screen while cloning. When you select the Clone screen it will set up the two new layers (one for you to paint and the outline layer). After that you can go straight back to the Paint screen where you have full control over your brushes (just don't stray away from the cloner set);

- On the Paint screen, you can make a new layer and clone to that. Helps get things organized - background on one layer, subject on the other;

- Use the shortcuts: <Ctrl> + drag up/down for size and <Ctrl> + drag left/right for opacity. You can even combine them;

- The "Deep"ness of the paint is controlled by the S and B parameters that you find on the tool palette. Clicking on the letter will turn them on and off. Changing their value (greyscale) will control the depth;

- Experiment the "image processing" brush. The adjustments are not Pro-Retoucher standard, but great for arty stuff;

- Experiment changing the lighting. As you are (sort of) painting n 3D then the lighting is very important.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 08:26 AM

byRo...thanks for the tip. Every tidbit helps. It's hard to believe that Deep Paint has been around so long, both as a commercial product and now free, without any significant tutorial.
Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Thanks very much, ByRo. All your tips will help us to get more familiar with DP.
Alan, there are a few tutorials out there, but I've had to scratch deep for them. Here's one that I haven't even tried yet.
http://www.perpetualvisions.com/arti...ressionism.htm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources