RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Software: DeepPaint 2.0 (FREE) Deep Paint

Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM

took a quick look at deep paint, but the plugin seems to hang under cs2, maybe standalone is the best idea
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM

I use DP as a stand alone, Cass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Deep Paint review

For those that are interested, an informative review is here - as are reviews for other painting and graphic software.

http://www.perpetualvisions.com/arti...review-dp2.htm

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 PM

byRo: Great Information and based on it, my Rendition with Deep Paint. Just used many of the Cloners Ex, just fooling around randomly.

I just used a lot of the brushes in Cloners Ex in random and painted all over this image. Great find, especially since it is free.

The original image is located here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...chmentid=26910
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BWWeb.jpg (98.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Chance_1; 12-16-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
took a quick look at deep paint, but the plugin seems to hang under cs2, maybe standalone is the best idea
Actually calling Deep Paint a plug-in is very misleading.
The only thing that the plug-in in does is transport your image to and from Deep Paint. There is no interaction between the two programs.

So you don't need the plug-in at all.
Just save the file in one program and open in the other.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 12:58 AM

as Ro says, you dont need the plugin, though i do find it a tiny bit more handy. in psp 10 you can direct your program to look for plugins. you can either send it to wherever your .8bf file is, or you can send it to the main folder of deep paint. it will call it up either way.

and like Ro said, it is a bit misleading to call this a plugin in. all it really is is a 'hook' or a 'call'. basically, you use your native paint program to 'call' deep paint up and you'll get a screen that asks you to 'export or send'. you hit that button and it calls up deep paint and exports the image from your native program over to deep paint. when you're done in deep paint it will send your finished image back to your native one, which is sort of a nice touch.

also, just to reassert what someone else said, you MUST install deep paint to get the .8bf file. it's hidden in the .cab files (or whatever they're packing this up in). after the installation you can find and move the .8bf over to your native plugin folder.

also, for anyone that needs help with the program it's actually fairly familiar ground if you have the Gimp, PS or PSP. there's really not that much different in the way of the interface and most of it shld be fairly recognizable. though i do see Ro has figured out a few things i wasnt aware of

oh, and make sure you set up deep paint with your other plugins. they shld mostly all work in deep paint, at least the .8bf types.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 AM

More news from the DP front.........

You can clone everything to just one layer, if you wish.
However most folks around here are layer maniacs, so we end up organizing ourselves with different layers for each part of the painting.

Problem is, DP doesn't have masks. So if you want to clean up the outlines of the layer you have two choices - use the eraser in DP, or transport back to PS and make a nice mask for the layer.

DP says that it exports a .PSD file, but on closer inspection it doesn't work out to well. The colour information is OK, but the 3D stuff gets all mixed up. A layer which was perfectly flat while in DP, arrives via the .PSD with bumps inherited from other layers.

So.....if you want to transport the layers to PS, without messing them up an alternative is to turn on each layer in turn in DP and save as a .TIF.
Back in PS, open all the .TIF files and remount the layers.

...or come to think about it, just using the eraser in DP isn't such a bad option!!

I tried this on cat's Autumn Girl . Used three layers with different B/S (no that's not bullsh*t - that's Bump and Shine):
Background: Full Bump, no Shine;
Face: No Bump, no Shine;
Leaves: Full Bump, full shine.

Have fun - I am!

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the tips Ro, I've not been able to get skin to look good with Deep Paint yet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 10:16 AM

I downloaded DP in my plugins and opened it up but it is been connecting for 15 minutes. did anyone else have that problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Ydelle...perhaps you should try using it as a stand alone program. I have DP both ways, but I find that using the stand alone is best for me. My only problem is learning how to use the program.
Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources