RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Software: DeepPaint 2.0 (FREE) Deep Paint

Old 06-03-2005, 02:58 AM

Software: Deep Paint free [no longer available]

Deep Paint 2.0, an exceptionally feature rich program that just could not compete with Corel Painter.

As I recall DP 2.0 was selling for about $299.

You can get this program FREE at
http://download.chip.eu/en/Deep-Paint-2.0_132831.html
(thanks to member oldbaldy for the link)

It's not intuitive to use initially, but the built-in help is pretty good. If you're familiar with Painter's cloning function or Photoshop's Art History Brush, the DeepPaint cloning is similar in operation.

Opens/Saves files in several formats, including .psd (Photoshop).

Bonus: Besides the standalone program, it can be invoked as a plugin from Photoshop's Filter menu. One CS2 user has confirmed compatibility with that version of Photoshop.

Since the plugin is in .8BF format, it may be compatible with other programs such as Elements or PaintShop PRO. That would be one someone else would need to confirm.

Anyway, I've been playing with it for the past hour. For free, it's an exceptionally cool toy.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-15-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Noted CS2 compatibility and added link to tutorial resources.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Janitor

Good catch. I was wondering where the regular Deep Paint went, since now all they're offering is Deep Paint 3D.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Thanks Danny! Photo art is still a total mystery to me, but I've been thinking I should see what it's all about!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 05:22 AM

Weee...! This is fun! (aka how many paint brush effects can one scribble on one picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treedabble.jpg (99.8 KB, 204 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 04:56 PM

thanks, danny!

it will also work in conjunction with paint shop pro 7.xx. i havent used it much yet, but it does seem to function with psp the same way as it does with photoshop.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
thanks, danny!

it will also work in conjunction with paint shop pro 7.xx. i havent used it much yet, but it does seem to function with psp the same way as it does with photoshop.

K.
Awesome. That's good to know.

Too bad there is so little in terms of tutorials, info on how to use it. That's probably why it didn't catch on.

Many thanks for the confirmation.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Janitor

Perhaps someone could write a tutorial? I know I could use one, I finally gave up trying to scale that learning curve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM

i installed the program as a stand-alone. i then set its 'photoshop filter location' to my psp filter foldeer in the preferences section. i then added deep paint 2 and its location to my psp filter locations. restarted both to have these locations take effect.

when subsequently calling up psp and looking in 'effects/filters', i saw the deep paint filter, called it up and it opens a window asking if you want to send or receive. this was a bit cryptic, but it seems to mean 'export an image to deep paint to work on it there'. when you've done this and go back to psp that same window now says 'receive' which seems to be the same as 'import an image from deep paint. so, basically, you can call up deep paint from psp and i'm guessing vice versa if you're in deep paint already.

you can also just take the .8bf's from the deep paint install and move them to your psp filter folder.

as for documentation, there is a 'help' which brings up some docs. there are also some adobe acrobat files in the install folders which might help. didnt look at them yet, but saw them in the folder. and, one of the readme's said there was more help online and gave an address, but didnt check that yet either.

i also noted while using deep paint (DP) that it has a few small bugs. nothing crashed when i was using it, but it couldnt undo my magic wand use once and i dont think it's been optimized for speed either and when going from clone mode to paint mode once, it wouldnt return the original image, just a blank window. you can sort of see the wheels turning when you do certain actions. still, it shld make a decent addendum to psp or pshop. the look and feel of the thing is definitely photoshop in the interface. i would think a lot of it would be intuitive to pshop users. one of the readme's also said that they had tried to maintain hotkeys to similar tools and things as photoshop does, so that shld help also.

my guess is, these folks werent going to try to compete with photoshop, but to be a sort of accessory to it and in that regard it's prolly something folks might want to take a look at. i cant really make any comparisons with photoshop, as i dont currently have it. so, make your own evaluations in that regard.

you're welcome, danny, and thanks for the link!

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 AM

Important note: There are two versions of Deep Paint.

* Deep Paint 2.0 (the topic of this thread)
* Deep Paint - Digital Artist, the "lite" edition, that's discussed in this thread: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/10245-software-deep-paint-digital-artist.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 02:21 PM

This is just a quick little scribbly thing, but it's the first exercise in the Digital Visions book for Deep Paint. My first impression is that the layers behave more intuitively (for me) than the ones in Painter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gourds-rtp.jpg (93.8 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources