RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Software: Gertrudis Pro

Old 10-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Gertrudis Pro

Anyone try the Gertrudis Pro and what did you think of it?

PC-only application.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-13-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Noted mac only
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
Anyone try the Gertrudis Pro and what did you think of it?
I had never heard of it until I read your question. I'll be interested to read of any experiences myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 AM

I've only given it a brief test. Gertrudis Pro is an automated tool for simulating natural media. The emphasis is on the word "automated" because it does the stroking for you. Like Paint Engine and Virtual Painter do the stroking for you. But Gertrudis takes it to a whole new level. Here's why:

1. Most automated brush stroking software cannot tell the best places to make large strokes versus small strokes. With Gertrudis this doesn't matter, because you brush on the effect. So just do it all medium, then go back over details (such as eyes) using the small setting. And maybe do the background with a large setting.

2. Most automated solutions are not good at setting the stroke direction. And Gertrudis is not a genius at this either, although it does pretty well. But again, it does not matter. Because Gertrudis has a special tool that lets you specify an area and direction. So, wherever you disagree with what Gertrudis did, you just tell it the right direction for that area.

3. Gertrudis can also mix styles. So, you can do the sky in a soft style, and the trees and a style with obvious strokes. And it can combine styles, where you place one over another, with the under one showing through a little.

It also needs some improvement. A lot of the sliders are hidden, and need to be popped open every time a change is made. These can be floated, but it is still awkward to do that every time I start the software. Maybe a simple and advanced view would solve this, because I would like an advanced view where I can see all the sliders. Then I can understand how the presets work, and just work more quickly. Also, the sliders under the Color area need values on them. It is impossible to set the hue back to zero as it stands now. It needs to be able to zoom the display, plus easily set it back to 1:1 view.

But overall, I would say Gertrudis is the most powerful automated painter out there, and it's pretty easy to use.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew B.; 12-07-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2005, 02:09 PM

just one question here that i didnt see answered on their site; is the downloadable version a demo/trial/limited version or the full deal?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM

It is limited to using only the eight demo photos that come with the software. You can edit these photos any way you want, and save them. But you cannot load other than these.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 02:14 PM

andrew,

thank you

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 AM

This is the type of thing Gert can do.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MtLion.jpg (87.9 KB, 309 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM

I've just bought it and think it has lots of potential. I've mainly been using it to prepare images before painting them so far. Here are a couple I've done with it:

Artist on the Beach - Mostly done in Gertrudis then tweaked in Painter and Photoshop

For the following two I used Gertrudis to simplify the images before painting in Painter.

Little Kenyan Girl

Fire & Ice

An update is due to be released around February next year which will enable you to zoom in/out of your image and also import your own brush stroke images.

For the price I think it's a great piece of software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM

pam,

i can see why you like it. i can also see why you might use it as prep tool. has a bit of an unfinished look to it. still, that's pretty impressive.

and since no one else has posted it, here's the link to their page: http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/index.php

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Steve C., Pam -- I really like your examples. I'm not likely to get Painter, and just want some different possibilities (without having to know how to actually paint myself )

This sounds interesting -- perhaps use algorithms regarding resolution?

From the Gertrudis Graphics website:
High resolution pictures output: Since the size, position and direction of each stroke is recorded, this lets Gertrudis Pro to render the picture at any resolution.
» High resolution pictures output: Once finished the picture, you can render it at a higher resolution. The high resolution version of the picture is not a simple rescaled version of the original: As the resolution grows, more new details will be visible.

Thanks for bringing up this subject, Diane, I may take a crack at this software.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources