RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin

Old 02-22-2007, 11:35 PM

Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

I just saw this thread, Danny, and found it interesting. I "borrowed" your youth baseball picture from your review and messed around with it. Certainly not a match to Akvis Sketch, but as close as I'm going to get.

http://www.pbase.com/fitz9016/image/74730373

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM

From the Akvis Website:

Quote:
Sketch v.3.0: Convert Photos to Drawings
By popular request from our users we have released a new version of AKVIS Sketch that allows save/edit Presets. Registered users can upgrade the software for free. Read more about the changes in this plug-in for photo-to-sketch conversion...

February 12, 2007
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz9016
I just saw this thread, Danny, and found it interesting. I "borrowed" your youth baseball picture from your review and messed around with it. Certainly not a match to Akvis Sketch, but as close as I'm going to get.

http://www.pbase.com/fitz9016/image/74730373

Dave
Hi Dave,

Nice job of "messing" and coming up with a very pleasing sketch effect. Based on what I've seen of your handiwork it's apparent you are blessed with with considerable PS skills. It's nice to have folks like you around.

Keep 'em coming.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM

I guess I'm late to the party. I'm testing Sketch 3.0 now. It produces the most usable sketch pattern I've seen from a plugin. The sketch patterns work well with color blending techniques. It doesn't work on every type of image, but that's true of all art effect plugins.

As for its speed, it is so slow it discourages experimentation. What I ended up doing is saving a layer stack with examples of different settings to refer to, and then use it to try to predict settings in other pictures. This is not a good way to work. But I like what it can do, so I might buy this one.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 03-21-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I guess I'm late to the party. I'm testing Sketch 3.0 now. It produces the most usable sketch pattern I've seen from a plugin. The sketch patterns work well with color blending techniques. It doesn't work on every type of image, but that's true of all art effect plugins.

As for it's speed, it is so slow it discourages experimentation. What I ended up doing is saving a layer stack with examples of different settings to refer to, and then use it to try to predict settings in other pictures. This is not a good way to work. But I like what it can do, so I might buy this one.
The tradeoff for impressive results is not-so-fast to render.

The good news - New features added since I originally tested the plugin:
* Sketch settings can now be saved as custom, easy-to-recall presets
* Photoshop users can apply Sketch with actions either to individual images or in a batch process.

So one could record an action to apply various settings... launch it and got get coffee... come back and compare results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Re: REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin

I just tried the plugin and the standalone versions. They are blazing fast, I don't know if its a new version since Andrew B has tested or if it is my quad core maxed ram machine and cs3. I have renders in less then 15 seconds with complex settings, straight charcoal takes less than 2 seconds. I know one thing, I can't sketch it myself that fast!

I give it two thumbs up, heck add two big toes too! I find it much more useful than any of the freebie actions I have tried well worth the $100 bucks for the business version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM

I have Sketch 6 and I am wondering about the update or upgrade of version 8.6. What improvements and added features if any ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
I have Sketch 6 and I am wondering about the update or upgrade of version 8.6. What improvements and added features if any ?
I have lost track of the specific differences 6 -> 7-> 8. Seems like: Faster to render, bigger preview window. Also, a claim of more painterly-looking effects, but I don't use this feature (only the sketch output) so I have no opinion on this one.

If you need specifics, they reply promptly to requests for assistance via their website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM

2009 - September:

For NEW version 9 discussion see http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/27450-akvis-sketch-9-thoughts-upgrade-etc.html#post242779
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources