RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin

2009 - September:

For NEW version 9 discussion see http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post242779

===================

2006 REVIEW follows for old version

http://www.pbase.com/dannyraphael/akvis_sketch

My apologies in advance on the pBase format. pBase displays text "centered," not left justified. Download the .zip attachment below if you want an easier-to-read version in MS Word .doc format.

--------------------

In a nutshell I like this plugin a lot, but it's limited in functional scope and won't be for everyone. Download the fully functional 10-day trial and check it out yourself.

Comments, questions or examples of your own artwork using Sketch are most welcome. Post 'em below.

Cheers...
~Danny~
Attached Files
File Type: zip akvis_sketch_evaluation v3.zip (8.0 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Diane Diane is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 93
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

I missed out on the trial , I had the plugin installed but computer gave me problems and by time it was fixed, the plugin had expired. I really wanted to try the plugin *sighs*
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Bob Mc Bob Mc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 134
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Great Review Danny,

I appreciate the info as to the various plug-in/filter combinations that generated better results.

? Have you had any feedback from the creators of the program - especially regarding some of the "cons" you mentioned?

As I said before, that watercolor scene with the trees in their fall colors was really outstanding

Thanks and regards,

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mc
? Have you had any feedback from the creators of the program - especially regarding some of the "cons" you mentioned?
Thanks for the kind words, Bob.

No feedback from the developer on future plans. Companies typically keep this type of info pretty close to the vest.

However between the time I started using the plugin (September 2006) and the time I posted the review (November 2006), they upgraded ver. 1.05 to 2.0 in which the ability to record settings in Photoshop Actions and PSP scripts was added. That is something I yelped about early on, so it appears they "do listen," which is a good sign.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

I just found this thread about a week ago. Here is one example of what I managed to do using this plug-in. Thank you.




Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
See...

http://www.pbase.com/dannyraphael/akvis_sketch

My apologies in advance on the pBase format. pBase displays text "centered," not left justified. Download the .zip attachment below if you want an easier-to-read version in MS Word .doc format.

--------------------

In a nutshell I like this plugin a lot, but it's limited in functional scope and won't be for everyone. Download the fully functional 10-day trial and check it out yourself.

Comments, questions or examples of your own artwork using Sketch are most welcome. Post 'em below.

Cheers...
~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus-folkart.jpg (88.8 KB, 310 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:01 AM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes1936
I just found this thread about a week ago. Here is one example of what I managed to do using this plug-in. Thank you.
Nice job on this one, Gunner. How are you liking this plugin overall?
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Wink Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Nice job on this one, Gunner. How are you liking this plugin overall?
Love the plug-in. Nice for those of us who use the Mac platform.
It's on my personal Xmas shopping list. right along side ArtMaster. money, money, money. Wherefore is my money tree?

The first one I did is with the ArtMaster Pro demo. The second one with the ArtMaster demo just to see if and what the difference(s) may be. You tell me. the third one is the original. All settings were default and run with one click. Taken in San Antonio, Texas at a University of Texas Systems office, donated Ante Bellum house.

thanx,
gholmes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ut-san-antonio.jpg (98.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg ut-san-antonio2.jpg (95.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg ut-san-ant-org.jpg (80.7 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by gholmes1936; 12-09-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes1936
Love the plug-in. Nice for those of us who use the Mac platform.
It's on my personal Xmas shopping list. right along side ArtMaster. money, money, money. Wherefore is my money tree?

The first one I did is with the ArtMaster Pro demo. The second one with the ArtMaster demo just to see if and what the difference(s) may be. You tell me. the third one is the original. All settings were default and run with one click. Taken in San Antonio, Texas at a University of Texas Systems office, donated Ante Bellum house.

thanx,
gholmes


Here is one done using only Photoshop CS2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ut-sa-cs2.jpg (79.5 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

re: ...just to see if and what the difference(s) may be. You tell me.

Unfortunately the 100 kb file size makes it difficult for me to see much difference among these last three, but my eyesight isn't that good.

Very nice pic of the University of Texas campus, though.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Trimoon's Avatar
Trimoon Trimoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 366
Re: Akvis Sketch plugin - Review and Gallery of Examples

Danny
This is an excellent review, most helpful.
Thank you
Steve
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REVIEW: Xylograph plugin (PC) DannyRaphael Photo-Art Resources 3 11-23-2007 04:18 PM
Sheri's Sketch - HELP NEEDED! tonyt Software 7 06-28-2007 05:22 AM
Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive Tiger_Steve Photo-Based Art 9 01-15-2007 11:45 AM
New Sketch Plugin Xaran Software 5 09-01-2006 04:18 PM
Review: Redfield Sketch Master DannyRaphael Photo-Based Art 15 10-04-2005 01:40 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved