RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Art History Brush AHB - Palms method (Photoshop)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Re: Tutorial: Art History Brush AHB - Palms method (Photoshop)

Being only an occasional Photoshop user, can anyone tell me which versions of Photoshop these brushes will work in? I find no TPL files in either Photoshop 6 or in Photoshop Elements 4.

I also am assuming that they go in "presets/brushes."

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Glad you have had fun dmrdm and enjoy using the ahb, your dog image is excellent.

Faces can be a problem but i have done some, could you post (here) one that you have done and point out what it is your not happy with or i have posted one here today have a look and say what it is on this one you dont think is quite right or you that you dont like ( i wont cry honest )

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/tur...tml#post169462

That way I/someone would be able to offer more advice/tips

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
Being only an occasional Photoshop user, can anyone tell me which versions of Photoshop these brushes will work in? I find no TPL files in either Photoshop 6 or in Photoshop Elements 4.

I also am assuming that they go in "presets/brushes."

Steve C.
Hi Steve

I am not sure wether these brushes work in ps6 or elements

tpl files though are kept in the presets folder under tools if that is some help to you, also you load them from the preset manager, Edit> preset manager, from the drop down menu pick tools, load, then i think you navigate to were you put them

hope you can get them to work for you Steve as i think you will enjoy using them

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Your toddler looks great. I honestly have deleted all of the faces I started them, because they just weren't what I was looking for. I'm always starting from square one again when I try a new one, but I went ahead and did a real quick example (don't have any time in it at all, just trying to show the skin, lips). My problem is primarily just the skin and lips. The skin turns out too crystaline looking, kind of blotchy, the lips like a bad lipstick job (like when a 2 year old applies lipstick). On the skin, am not sure if I sure I should be using a bigger or smaller area and a shorter or longer style. Using the TM detail brush after the spatter. Guess since these areas are smooth in reality, I'm having a problem with them. I'm okay with the eyes, nose, hair. Fur is just easier! Am not sure if my upload will show what I'm attempting to explain. Thank you!

(using CS3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face.jpg (44.5 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:31 PM

dmrdm which brushes are you using, and would you say you use lots of "clicks"
my first thought is that you use short strokes with your pen/mouse now there is nothing wrong in this just that you will get a different look
Can you post the original (or a original) and i will have a go along with you posting the different layers i use and you can compare the differences and see if any tips can be picked up that way (for both of us), I like the way you have done your eyes they are my trouble spot, and most mouths look like a bad lipstick job until i tidy them up with the detail brush
The ahb is really quite a hard tool to use and no two images come out the same even by the same person, so stick at it and just keep trying

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM

MMM...yes, I believe one could say I am using a lot of clicks. That could certainly be my problem. I'll have to go back and focus on that see what happens.

For this pic, I've only been using the TM splatter15a and the TM detail, although I have played with the style, area and size on them.

When you do the lips, do you change your style to tight and short or is that inmaterial? (I didn't know if when you get to the details, one has better results with shorter strokes or not)

Here is the orginal. I'll have to play some more!

http://picasaweb.google.com/doris.ro...42504996745954

Last edited by dmrdm; 10-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Hi Steve

I am not sure wether these brushes work in ps6 or elements

tpl files though are kept in the presets folder under tools if that is some help to you, also you load them from the preset manager, Edit> preset manager, from the drop down menu pick tools, load, then i think you navigate to were you put them

hope you can get them to work for you Steve as i think you will enjoy using them

Palms
I'll give it a try....and thanks Palms.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Dmdrm

I have had a try at your image and have posted the three layers here that i used. I am not that happy with the results myself and have tried a few different things, one being resizing the image to 200dpi that makes things slightly better (4th image ) others was to use blur tool, smudge tool,and even a smart blur layer, but i wasnt happy with them either,
( begining to realize how few portraits i have done, i tend to smudge them, and the ones i have done are usually adults ) any way see what you think and ask any questions you want will try another thought i had later

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spatter-15a-size-58.jpg (95.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg spatter-15a-size-24.jpg (92.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg detailbrush-size-6and3.jpg (70.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Kelsey200dpi.jpg (85.0 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Thanks palms1. I might just have to stick with dogs and cats! The 3rd one looks pretty nice. Yes, I've played with some bluring also, but nothing helped much. I made a couple more attempts, but nothing I like yet. Might look at trying some different brushes, some more bluring and playing with some different things on the layers. Will google a little more and see if I can find any other ideas also. Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

I have had another try and got bit better results by using a noise reduction filter ( as i am ps7 i use neat image but i believe your version of ps has one) tried using it after as well but that was too much. Also try a different photo this one does have a lot of shadows and that may be making the crystalising worse ( or try shadow/highlight) I have done a ahb in the desire ll post in the photo art section and that turned out ok keep trying if you get anywhere let me know

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources