RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

What's going on with Fo2PiX?

Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 AM

What's going on with Fo2PiX?

Hi all,

I have both ArtMaster Pro and buZZpro 3 and I really like both programs. However, I would like to think that fo2PiX is supporting them and that enhanced new versions will come out.

But I don't see any signs of life at the fo2PiX website and I am almost the only participant in their forums. Their forum moderators seem to have vanished and they never had any significant forum traffic.

And there seems to be no new activity in producing updates to their software. I have come to wonder if they even have any programmers on their staff now. They seem to have lost interest in their software and they have focused on their "White Paper" and a patent relating to graphic editing that I don't see how will make any money for them. Does anybody have any information on what is going on at Fo2PiX?

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Re: What's going on with Fo2PiX?

Hi GB... welcome aboard.

I've not heard anything one way or the other. Have you tried sending an e-mail to their support address?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 PM

DR,

I did email their support late last year. I suggested that they "seed" Google with keywords in forum messages, so that Google searches would lead directly to their forum message threads. I also suggested that they place links to the forums on essentially all of their webpages, and provided a list of many specific pages that did not mention or link to the forums. I also said,

"We need to try to "seed" the forums with some messages to get some debate started. You have forum administrators who can do some of that. Forum announcements about the deadlines on these current sales [referring to some December 2006 sales promotions] should already have appeared. Street speakers just start making a speech to an empty street and let the crowd grow as the speech continues."

They responded 4 days later, which was reasonably prompt. Their response, dated December 12, 2006, was as follows:

"Thank you for your feedback all your points have been taken into consideration. We are currently redesigning our website so these matters have already been taken into account.
Kind regards,
Fo2PiX Support"

I haven't heard anything since or seen any big redesign of their website. Their forums remain relatively inaccessible, inactive, and unsupported by Fo2PiX.

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Hmmm... very odd. When I purchased BuzzPro 2 a few years back support was great and e-mail turnaround was fast. Buzz is among my favorite plugins...

I'll do a little checking among some of my internet chums and see what, if anything, I can find out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM

No replies to my e-mails to the company owner. I've heard similar reports to yours ("Nobody home") from other folks in the past couple weeks.

It would be a real shame if Fo2Pix goes belly-up...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 AM

Danny,

"It would be a real shame if Fo2PiX goes belly-up..."

I agree. I wish they hadn't got all caught up in that "White Paper" project, and stuck to doing what they were doing. I'm wondering if their programmers didn't find other jobs while the White Paper stuff was going on. They sure do act like nobody is home, and I have tried to spark some interest on their forums a couple of times.

Oh well, my ArtMaster Pro still works on Win XP, but I would be a little afraid to switch to Windows Vista right now.

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 AM

Great idea but confusing website and cumbersome implementation of software that has great potential. But hey, I cant talk - I couldn't write a single line of code if I tried

I finally moved ArtMasterPro over to my audio/video dual pentium PC - much much better rendering speeds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Hi nzo,

I recently purchased PhotoArtist 2 from BenVista. It's not nearly as elaborate as ArtMasterPro, but it does do a pretty good job for the money, and it is currently supported. http://www.benvista.com/main/content...=photoartist_1

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM

FO2PIX have gone bust. Having sent dozens of emails to every contact I could find and repeatedly trying to get some one to answer the phone I received this message.
"I am afraid to say that Fo2PiX has ceased trading and sadly, for the
foreseeable future, you will not be able to buy a copy of ArtMasterPro."

Ive tried their trial software on Windows XP works great. It won't install on my laptop running vista. I just get I get a 1722 installer error code.
I am wondering if reinstalling windows vista would help the install. anyone got it running on Vista. Anyone had the 1722 error when installing and found a solution.
It's such a shame I only recently came across ArtmasterPro and tried to purchase it. There now seems no "official" way to obtain this software. I for one will keep an eye on the web site as it would be a shame to see this soft ware disappear.
I have the Ben vista Photo Artist2 alternative it's very good but not in the same league at all.

Andy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Hi Andy,

That's really sad news about Fo2PiX going out of business. I guess that White Paper project had a hand in killing them. Their image simplification technology was unique, and they should have been able to leverage it into a whole line of successful graphics software products. They were on the way toward doing that and then someone got a "wild hair" about world dominance with the White Paper and they totally misdirected their efforts.

Since their software was developed well before Windows Vista, it is quite possible that it won't work in Vista, or if it works, that there will be incompatibility problems with the Vista Operating System. I plan to keep Windows XP Pro SP2 on at least one computer system indefinitely, so I can continue to use some of my "old" software, like ArtMaster Pro and buZZ.Pro.

Someone should suggest to Corel that they tender an offer to acquire the Fo2PiX software products and continue their sales and development. That would include the rights, relevant patents (their image simplification scheme has patent coverage, but the White Paper patents are probably "blue sky"), and source code, and include job offers to any remaining software engineers. Does anyone have any contacts at Corel?

Andy, I agree that BenVista's PhotoArtist is not an equivalent substitute for ArtMaster Pro or buZZ.Pro 3. The disappearance of Fo2PiX has left a vacuum and, as they say, "nature abhors a vacuum."

GB
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources