Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

REVIEW: Xylograph plugin (PC)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
REVIEW: Xylograph plugin (PC)

Plugin: Xylograph
Platform: PC
Programs: Photoshop, Elements, PSP, Photo-Impact, etc. See site for others.

Several months ago I came across Xylograph, one of many creative effect plugins offered by Amphisoft. Upon installation I spent a couple days playing and kept finding more and more ways to use it. If you’re into using layer masks or layer styles, this plugin renders some incredible black and white effects that are ideal for these purposes. I also like the effect on close-up head shots.

Xylograph is offered in two versions. LE (for Lite Edition) is a FREE download. The more functional standard edition of Xylograph has more controls and is included in the AmphiSoft Plugin Pack collection. Open the far left attached file below for a close-up view of the respective dialog boxes.

According to a description at the site, “Xylograph LE allows you to apply a wavy halftone effect with the screen lines angle being gradually changing from shadow to highlight image area. The effects … vary from simple woodcut texture to a hand-drawn halftone screen found it many engravings.” Hopefully the examples here ( and the ones I uploaded will be more effective in illustrating the possibilities.

The results from either edition almost always require some degree of cleanup, e.g., cloning, edge transition smoothing, etc. I found that transitions rendered by Xylograph are smoother if noise reduction or simplification filters like Neat Image, Noise Ninja, Smart Blur, Cutout, etc. are applied beforehand. One gets higher quality results in terms of fewer jagged edges with high resolution images, i.e., 250-300 pixels per inch (ppi).

Give the free LE edition a try. While you're at it check out some of the other free tools. Fair warning: You may end up losing several hours playing!

Questions and comments welcome.

Many thanks to Ilya Razmanov for the opportunity to have so much fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 gui compare.jpg (196.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 25 example 4-up.jpg (198.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 60 example JN side by side.jpg (88.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 45 example singer.jpg (198.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 35 example rose candles.jpg (197.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Re: REVIEW: Xylograph plugin (PC)

One of the best ways to do stippling. And one of our own is the author and creator too. I've used the free version for couple of years, but recently I purchased the complete package with no regrets (really made my stipples much better).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 03:06 PM

I cant exactly say i like it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Insensitive. View Post
I cant exactly say i like it...
No worries... "Art" is subjective.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources