RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Adding to an image for gallery wrap

Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Adding to an image for gallery wrap

Hi all, my first post.

Has anyone found an easier way to add to an image to make adjustments for gallery wrapping?

Presently, I'm copying a 2 inch "slice" of the 4 sides of the image using a bigger canvas size. Then I use free transform to flip vertical or horizontal so the added piece continues off the sides and looks like it belongs there (these are painted backgrounds with layered photos on top). Using no feather for each image so that I eliminate some of the line that I get when I move the selection. Still sometimes I have to go back in with either the clone stamp or healing brush to get rid of the very faint line that appears at the "joint".

There has to be an better way. Hope I explained it so you can follow.

Thanks!
Joanie

www.joaniesanchirico.com
www.joaniesanchirico.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Re: Adding to an image for gallery wrap

Joanie... There is a Photoshop action to do this on the Adobe User Exchange. I think it only works in PSCS2 or lower

You'll need an account or to log in if you already have one to download it. Account is free, just register.

Last edited by Swampy; 11-17-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Sorry, should have included that I downloaded that action a couple of weeks ago, and all it does is tile the image and turn it upside-down. According to the comments, other people have had the same problem.

Could I be doing something wrong?

thanks!

Joanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapeaux View Post
Could I be doing something wrong?
Joanie
Hi Joanie...

First of all, welcome to the PA forum. Always like having new folks join us. Great photos on your site. I esp. like Cattus Island and the BW.

re: issue at hand
Based on having written hundreds of actions myself and considering others reported difficulties with the action you're using, I doubt that "it's you."

Is your question coming from the perspective of prepping "photos" for gallery wrap or "arty manipulations"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Hi Danny,

The images I'm going to gallery wrap are for a solo show I have in March. They're on my website under "Environmental"-the top 7. They'll be around 38x48 stretched, so the printed image size including the gallery wrap part will be 44x54. I like the term "arty manipulations" by the way! So, not the photos.

Thanks! I didn't think it was me, I think something is wrong with that action on the Adobe Help site.

And thanks for your kind words about my photos too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 AM

Wow... some big prints. Wonderful artwork, Joanie.

I'll assume the artwork for the exhibit is complete, so my question does not apply for that collection: For future reference what would be the downside of starting out a given project at what will be the final dimensions so you're "ready for gallery wrap" when work on a given piece is complete?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Good idea Danny,, yes, these were created digitally before I knew that I was going to have to gallery wrap. Next time, plan ahead!

But I did figure out what I was doing wrong FINALLY last night, user error! When I made my selections, I was off by a pixel or so. I had to look at it at around 300-400% and then I could see the selection was off just a tiny bit. Couldn't see that at 100%..... used the "nudge" command (which I just learned yesterday tooling around the internet--in case you don't know it, when you are in "move" mode, you can use the arrow keys to move your selection just a pixel or two). Then move and flip the selection. Finally, go back up to 300% and you can match up the slices perfectly with no seam marks at all. Oh, I should say no feather on the Rectangular Marquee selection too. Phew! It was making me crazy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Good info and appreciate the info on futher discoveries; glad you made it over the hump.

Writing PS actions is a hobby of mine, so awhile back I took a stab at writing my own version of a gallery wrap action. It (too) had problems starting with the challenge of describing how to use it, too many stops/starts, etc. so I never published it.

Inspired by your post, I started from scratch and this one turned out better. It should work using any version of PS 7.0 or later, is independent of image size and resolution, expanded border can be any width as specified by the user.

==> Would you like to be my "beta tester"? If so click my name above and send me an e-mail. In the reply I'll attach the .atn file.

Anyone else interested? Same offer applies.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources