RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Smudging resources

Old 10-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Re: Smudging resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Looks very, very nice, Palms. I guess this technique is quite suitable for portraits. Haven't tried, but sure will give it a go sometime later
I haven't tried it on any thing other than this portrait but i think you are right it would suit portraits better, but i thought it would be a ideal starting point for beginners to get the feel of smudging before they go onto the more intricate techniques ( plus it is a mighty fast technique compared to some of the others ) the main thing that impressed me though was the simplicity of the post when we have all spent hours and hours studying

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM

After studying a lot of websites and reading some tutorials I finally tried a painting myself.
Photo of a Wasco Indian. Original image - Library of Congress

Smudge painting of Wasco Indian

Greetings,
Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pop-Kio-Wina_Short_Arm_foru.jpg (70.6 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 02:04 PM

Hello and welcome Kurt

that is a superb painting and colouring well done, will look forward to seeing more of your work

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Hi Palms,
thanks for your kind words. Coloring + painting took more than 3 hours, but I'm quite satisfied with the outcome.

Greetings from Austria,
Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM

Beautiful, Kurt!
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Puku,
First let me say what a wonderful job you did on that painting, all the way down to the finest detail.
I know we have all done this before but I think we all owe Palm a huge thank you and pat on the back for without her I never would have found this wonderful technique that has added a great technique to the rest of my abilities as well as an equally large number of increased print orders in all the arenas and from all of my clients. As most of you know I only do weddings for the closest of friends and started my career doing high end ad work years ago and have managed to hold on to the majority of those clients over the years (most of them are friends as well now). I also do high end fashion but for about the last 7 or 8 years have managed to make it to a place in my life and career where I can pick and choose my clients and assignments - therefore allowing me to mix all of the things I love the most = photography, fishing, travel work and bed and breakfast trips. With this technique I recently landed a web page/brochure for a great B and B out in Montana that wants me to do the whole brochure in smudge painting. Thanks Palms, you are never selfish with your help, always offer great advice and you have been a great inspiration to me. I would be proud to help any of you that I can, whenever I can. It's great because when I am home I adjunct instruct at the local college teaching Photoshop and the very last technique I share with them is smudging and it leaves them with a feeling as if they can do anything they put their minds too. We all owe her a debt of gratitude.

Namaste,
c
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM

Thank you Sweetlight even though you have made me blush

If just one person learns and enjoys smudging/painting through this resources post ( or any of my others ) then it has been worthwhile

And a thank you to retouchpro for putting up with me

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 AM

Strange use of the smudge brush

A strange way to use the smudge brush

after seeing tuku's post it reminded me of this, it is something i found out by accident, it may have been written about before but i havent seen it, and i havent "mastered it" it has a few peculiarities so if any one works anything else out please do post a workflow and results

open you image

new layer> fill with white > reduce opacity to about 75% ( this is a must as it wont work with out the reduction in opacity )

tick the use all layers box in the top task bar

select the smudge tool with a roughish brush ( i used the rough round bristle, but dry brush works as well ) set the strength to about 35%

on the white layer paint over the image altering brush size to fit details ( this is not like the usual smudging techniques, a lot easier to do and is more like painting )

to see the full effect move the opacity back up to 100% (not forgetting if you want to go and do more, reduce it again or the smuge brush will just smear what you have already done )

when you have finished you can up the opacity to 100% again and flatten or leave it at about 75% to combine some of the image underneath .

well i told you it was strange the type of brush you use determines the effect and not all work very well, but if you want to experiment and post your results please do

original photo from geek philosopher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanSmokingCigarCuba12 copy.jpg (36.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg womanSmokingCigarCuba12.jpg (66.4 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Hi palms,
interesting technique.
Think I'll give it a try when I have time...

-kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM

another option ?

smudged,then topaz adjust added, and faded to taste.

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1028pigeon0004pigeon.jpg (87.7 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources