Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Which Painter book?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Re: Which Painter book?

Jeremy Sutton's books in my opinion are excellent. Can't wrong with this one. I've got the 8, IX and X editions. Accompanying CD has lots of goodies (custom brushes, textures, etc.).

If you are close to one of the big bookstores, give Marilyn sSholin's The Art Of Digital Photo Painting: Using Popular Software To Create Masterpieces a look too. No CD, unfortunately, but still a lot of very good content.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks, Danny. Amazon has the Marilyn Sholin book for $13.50. Are any of Jeremy Sutton's books geared toward the total beginner? I'm a little afraid that learning Painter is going to be as difficult as learning Photoshop, so I've procrastinated in getting started.

Last edited by bpurvis; 09-04-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 PM

I have all the books (I'm into books!! & DVD's).

What is to be recommended depends a lot on what style you intend to create with your photos. Jeremy Sutton is very good but heavy on Impressionism. Martin Addison is also very good but tends to be more Realism. The other sources recommended in the other posts are great.

I would suggest that you pay attention to the opening screen in Painter which will show you 50 Corel Painter masters. Check their work and their websites. Pick the ones you like. Many have DVD's or other forms of instruction. That's how I found Fay Sirkis, Bruce Dorn and Maura Dutra. all excellent painters with their own individual styles.

One other to check out is Karen Sperling's, She offers newsletters with a lot of instruction, plus she has a new book out, Painting for Photographers. Her newsletter topics are posted so you can review and decide which ones might work for you. I spent 4 hours with Karen on getting started and learned a lot. BTW, she's one of the 50 masters.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks Jon. I spent an hour on Karen Sperling's website and may need to buy the book. Love her style! I'll do as you suggest and check out the Painter masters - that way I can see which styles I prefer.

Any other favorites out there?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources