RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Sketch, OhThatGirl2001 method

Old 05-29-2002, 04:49 PM

Nicely done, Fug... I greatly admire folks like you who have "actual" artistic talent from the "pick up a brush" (or graphics tablet) perspective to generate very realistic images. Even though you were tracing, that's a skill in and of itself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 05:05 PM

Thanks.

A sketch like that is easy, what's difficult is a painting. I don't clone them. I have several unfinished that have been in the works for weeks, so it takes a certain commitment. Leonardo spent severl yrs on the Mona Lisa, no, not our Lisa, the other one, although their both beautiful.

greg

Who wants to see my first drawing with the Graphire, done Dec 26?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 05:13 PM

I can't leave well enough alone...

Lisa:

I, too, like what you've done. I remember discovering this technique myself on another site and how cool I thought was (and still think it is). What's up with an inverted layer set to Color Dodge and then apply Gaussian blur? Wonder who ran across that recipe and what they were drinking (smoking?) at the time?

Speaking of recipes, a book you'd probably find interesting is Photoshop X Cookbook, where X=5 or 6. Its got about 115 various combinations to illustrate the result of slicing, dicing and twisting the dials on various filter, layer and blend mode combinations. v5 is as good as v6 if you're interested. Anyway...

I took the liberty of taking your original and "messing with it a bit," in an attempt to retain the pencil-sketch flavor while making it look sufficiently different from one generated by the well publicized recipe.

Here's a before/after example to illustrate one possiblity. I took a screen shot of the Layers Palette, so hopefully you can follow the path I took if you're interested. I cheated and added some colorization to the eyes, "just because."

Hope this further stirs your creative braincells...

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pencil sketch ii.jpg (83.8 KB, 299 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 05:13 PM

Here's another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pencil-sketch-compare.jpg (53.7 KB, 137 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 06:03 PM

Thanks for your great suggestions. I was just fooling around with adding color and angled strokes when I read your message. This has great potential! Sending your screen shot is a fabulous idea. Fugitive was frustrated about not being able to post a PSD file as it was too large. The purpose of him posting a PSD file was for us to see the steps he used. Great idea. I really like your second picture. I'll have to keep trying on different photos.

Thanks again!

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 08:44 PM

I worked on my daugthers picture a bit more. Added a little color and used brush strokes - accented edges. I think it looks a bit better.

Lisa

P.S. I like the second photo - looks great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pencil sketch new resized.jpg (87.3 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 09:26 PM

Ah... I definitely like v2.0 even more than 1.0. Nicely done again, Lisa.

You obviously don't need my help in moving forward, but here's another .04 cents worth anyway just to keep the thread alive!

Try...
* Duplicating your working layer...
* Use your favorite blur tool, e.g., Dust & Scratches, Median, Gaussian, Smart Blur, etc., to blur the top layer a little.
* Create a layer mask for the blur layer and selectively apply the blur to the detail layer below via low pressure air brush. I've found this approach to be a subtle method of subduing the sometimes obvious and obnoxius uniformness of filter application.

Another method you're probably familiar with that comes in handy on occasion...
* Take a snapshot of the original color layer or a desaturated version of same
* Set new snapshot as the History source.
* Create a new top layer
* Use the History brush tool set at low opacity and choose a brush of your liking and lightly paint on "color" (or grays) where needed from the snapshot. This enables filling areas that need it with grayscale or color strokes.

---------------------

SOURCE OF INSPIRATION
Have you been to the action exchange site at adobe.com? There are dozens of freeware .atns devoted to creating "photo art" (as well as just about anything under the sun).

Some of the .atns are pretty lame; others are quite amazing in their creative use of filters, blends, etc. to achieve (more-or-less realistic) arty images. Dissecting some of these .atns (bad ones as well as good ones) opened a whole new dimension for me as far as filter / blend possiblities are concerned. It's been a real eye opener (in good sense).

----------------------

Anyway, this is great fun (for me) anyway. Thanks for sharing your successes, Lisa.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 09:21 AM

Hey Margaret,

This is kind of neat huh! I'd love to see more. I think with Danny's suggestions, I've been able to get a more realistic sketch. I found I had areas in my daughters face that picked up too much of a shadow. I ended up erasing most of the shadow but I found another fun trick. I made a selection just around the outside edge - then inverted it and went to brushes and chose accented edge. It made the pictures edge look more like a sketch. Danny's suggestion about using smart blur or one of the filters on the top layer is also wonderful. Give it a try.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 11:00 AM

Correction... I used angled strokes not accented edges. I also used cross hatch. Both worked nicely and made the picture look more like a sketch.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 02:53 PM

Hi Lisa and Danny

Lisa
Do you remember your rusty truck from the watercolor thread? I thought that truck needed a old barn and I added one. However it didnt look real good as a water color..

I decided to try Dannys technique on it. After applying Danny's sandwich techinique I added the graphic pen filter set at diagonal.
Check out the old rusty truck.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sketchfarmtruck.jpg (86.4 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources