RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Pastel Like Effect

Old 06-05-2002, 01:27 AM

Oh Cool!!

"merge visible w/o collapsing the individual layers" via:

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E

For the Mac that is:

CMD+OPTION+SHIFT+E

I didn't know that was an option, but NOW I do. How handy!!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 07:45 AM

OK - here's the same kitty with the shadow reduced using Danny's method. Next time, I won't try fur when trying to clone near an edge - lol.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastel cat reduced shadow resized.jpg (98.5 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 11:11 AM

Here's another picture of my daughter. This time I used Vikki's Fantastic Machine Paint Engine with her settings.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastel no shadow resized.jpg (94.4 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Lisa that pastel of your daughter is fantastic, it is a really nice effect, I will have to have a go a something myself.

And danny thanks for the short cut I will be using that alot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 12:39 PM

RE: ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E
Thought I died and went to heaven when I discovered that little hummer. Glad others think it might be useful, too.

=========

Vikki:
Guess I'm gonna have to transfer Paint Engine from my "overflow plugin folder" back into my active plugin folder.

With a little coaching and practice, it looks like it can generate some very natural looking artistic effects. Appreciate you sharing your techniques, settings and results in various posts. Gives the rest of us a high standard to shoot for.

=========
Lisa...
Don't you love "experimenting" on favorite pics of your kids? Me too. You and Vikki have inspired me already this morning and it's barely 9:00 a.m.!

RE: Cats and shadows
Yeah. You picked out a tough one to "clone out the Gaussian blur halo." One of the luxuries of photo-based art is usually having a lot of irregular texture that can be used as clone source close to areas you want to touch-up.

In the case of your kitty (I have two: "Duck" [it's a long story] and "Grateful" [not quite as long a story]), I thought the touched-up halo version left behnd natural shadows that distracted me from the main subject.

In retrospect maybe these aren't shadows. Maybe this is a reflection on your spotless, just-waxed kitchen floor? I'll pretend it's carpet. No matter. In this sketchy mode, it was still a little distracting to me.

Here's my .02 on how I'd approach this one.

The gory details follow for those who are interested...

~DannyR~

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

1. BG layer: Copy ("Background copy")
1a. Using Quick Mask and a hard brush (about 25 pixels I believe), I drew a selection around kitty's paws and tummy... trying to captured a little bit of carpet and a little bit of fur along the way.
2. Exit Quick Mask and saved the selection (SELECT/SAVE SELECTION...) as "Kitty shadow."
3. "Background copy": Created a new layer ("Kitty edge") based on the "Kitty shadow" selection (LAYER/NEW LAYER... via CUT).
4. Created a new layer ("Clone carpet") above "Background copy".
5. Turned off "Kitty edge" and, using various places on "Background copy," cloned areas from the non-shadowed carpet in place of the shadowed areas onto "Clone carpet."
6. Applied a layer mask to "Clone carpet" and airbrushed with black and white as needed to blend the layers.
7. Combined "Clone carpet" and "Background copy" via Merge Down command.
7a. Turn on "Kitty edge" layer.
8. Above "Background copy," created a new layer "New shadow."
9. SELECT/LOAD SELECTION... "Kitty shadow."
10. Filled selection with black.
11. Lowered opacity to about 30% or so.
12. CTRL+Click on "New shadow" layer and used move tool to drag 'shadow' to the right and slightly down.
13. "New shadow": Create a layer mask.
14. Airbrush using white and black on the layer mask to blend the shadow onto the carpet and erase the obviously misplaced shadows.
15. Tweek "New shadow" opacity and touchup layer mask until slight shadow looks semi-normal.
16. Merge visible.

In an attempt to restore some texture that was lost during the cloning process and needed for the new 'shadow,'...

17. Top of stack... new layer ("Texture restore").
18. Fill with 50% gray.
19. Apply TEXTURIZER filter (canvas,200%, relief=4,top right) and set blend mode to Overlay. Adjusted opacity a little.
20. Created a layer mask inverted it (CTRL+I) so it looks black (and hides the texturing). With airbrush set to about 35% and a soft brush, painted "white" on the layer mask on the carpeted areas, to give the illusion of uniform texture.
21. Merge visible again...

More cat... less shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastel cat reduce shadows more.jpg (64.5 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 01:15 PM

I have really enjoyed viewing all these images. They turned out so cool. I love the soft pastel coloring. Excellent thread.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 01:35 PM

Thanks Danny,

The kitty was sitting on a just waxed car actually and her reflection in the car is what you saw.

I like your version better.

P.S. My youngest is a real ham infront of a camera - I wonder where she gets that from!

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 01:58 PM

Talking

The gory details follow for those who are interested...

~DannyR~

Ok Danny. I have to ask. HOW do you keep track of what you have done in such detail? That's my biggest hangup. I try several things and only one of them works then I don't remember which ones were discarded and which ones were used. Is there a trick, or do I just have to be (Ack!!!) ORGANIZED?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 02:07 PM

RE: How do I keep track of the steps in detail?

Great question... I'm going to start another thread so others will be tempted to join in and add their .02. I'll bet there are some gr-eat techniques out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 10:11 PM

Pastel with Painter 7

Hope this is not off topic, but thought I would show a couple of pastel images created using Painter 7.

The first image was drawn from scratch using a custom designed brush for pastel and layering the colors. This was actually part of a homework assignment for a class I was taking.

The second image was my first attempt at a cloned photograph in Painter 7.

- Open photograph (jpg, psd, gif etc)
- Clone image (File-> Clone)
- Turn on onion skin effect (basically painting on a layer above the image so that the original image shows through.
- Trace image, ideally with a graphics tablet/stylus
- Click clone color button
- Begin painting to add colors adjust opacity as required to get the right effect.
- Blend colors.

The third image was another attempt at cloning a photograph into a pastel image. Pretty much same steps as 2nd image.

How do I post multiple uploads in one entry? Have seen in other threads, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Earl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breadfinal.jpg (6.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources