RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Pastel Like Effect

Old 06-04-2002, 11:11 AM

Tutorial: Pastel Like Effect

I was fooling around with the sketch technique and fell upon this. I'm still refining it, but I think it has potential.

The first thing I did was duplicate my image. With the duplicated image selected I chose to Select-All, then Image-Adjust-Invert. Following the method of Sketch technique I then chose Image-Mode-Grayscale and chose not to flatten image. Then I changed the blend mode to Color Dodge. This made the image disappear. I then went to Filter-Blur-Gaussian Blur. Adjusted only so I could see outlines and a bit of shadow. This is where the experiment began. I then changed the Mode back to RGB chosing not to flatten. I then opened a copy of the the original (RGB) image and copy and pasted it in the new image I was working on. I dragged the layer below the sketch layer. Changed the blending mode to color and moved the opacity slider over until I got a slight hint of color. After that - I just fooled around with variations as I thought the skintone was a bit yellow.

What do you think?

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastel resized.jpg (95.7 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-10-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 12:10 PM

Oh I love that, Lisa...! If you guys all keep coming up with these nifty new things to play with, I am never going to get any REAL work done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 05:03 PM

Subtle Tweek Possiblity?

Lisa:

Sure like the way you're going 'great guns' in this forum with examples and detailed techniques. Now that I'm back from my mini-vacation, can't wait to try some of these.

Slight improvement possibility?
I've noticed a minor side effect of the apply-a-Gaussian-blur-on-the-color-dodge-layer method is the tendency for it to create a halo/shadow-like effect between some edges and a lighter background.

The attachment illustrates the subtle difference a little (not very carefully done, but you get the idea) cloning onto a separate layer can make. Compare the shoulder/fence relationship on L side of the image vs. the R side.

Of course if there actually was a 'natural shadow' in the original image, you can completely ignore this advice!

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no-shadow.jpg (28.8 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 11:17 PM

Lisa, I like this a lot! Thanks for sharing your "accidental" technique with us!

Danny, I know what you're saying about the shadow/halo, but in this particular image, I think having it there adds some depth. In other images though, I agree that it looks out of place. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 11:42 PM

I agree with Jeanie,

I kind of like the shadow in this case. However, I'm beginning to find that this technique only works on certain photos. It's a bit of experimenting. I have a picture of a dog that the shadow is too much - your method works well on this one. I'll post the results when finished. The full res of my daughter is incredible.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 12:08 AM

I know I said dog ... but here's a cat first. This one has way too much of a shadow. I will post this and then Danny's method next.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat pastel resized.jpg (96.5 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 12:11 AM

J & L... Good points.

I should have clarified in previous post that I'm OK with shadows (intended or accidental) as long as they are consistent and look natural throughout an image. In this case I agree that the filter induced shadow adds depth. I'm almost totally OK with it, except...

To pick fly-specs out of pepper and assuming we're talking about a naturally lighted subject vs. an artificial lighting setup... it seems if there are shadows behind her shoulders, then there should be some shadows behind her head, too.

It's just a nit and no biggie. I think we're all in conceptual / artistic agreement here, and we're definitely unanimous on how gorgeious your daughter is, Lisa!

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 12:29 AM

Quick question Danny,

What do you mean about cloning on a seperate layer and at what step would you use this?

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 01:06 AM

After tweeking the blends and doing any other fine tuning -- the point where I'm satisfied with the image except for the shadows, I'd do a "merge visible w/o collapsing the individual layers" via:

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E

Then I'd create a new layer on the top of the stack (call it "Fixit"), select the clone tool and an appropriate brush. Set clone option to "use all layers" then start cloning over the undesirable shadow areas onto the Fixit layer. If necessary, create a layer mask on the Fixit layer to blend with the base layer below.

An alternative to cloning (if the situation warrents), make selections of "nearby" non-shadowed areas, make copies onto separate layer(s) above the base layer, CTRL+click (to select the copied object on the new layer) and use the move tool to position it above the offending shadow. Then use layer masks to blend with the base layer below.

Creating a separate Fixit layer ensures I can erase or modify the cloned (or duplicated areas) w/o mucking up the base layer.

When happy, I'll do a merge down and move on.

Does this make sense? (It's getting late.)

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 01:15 AM

It makes perfect sense. The moment I read it, I said "OH" now I get it.

The other idea might simply be to select the shadow and use the brush strokes filter and either chose cross hatch or angled strokes - that way it looks like a sketch. Just a thought.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources