RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Texture, applying texture on a separate layer

Old 06-06-2002, 02:31 PM

Tutorial: Texture, applying texture on a separate layer

This thread was inspired by Tom Pinnock's entry in the Photo Art Challenge #1. I especially liked his use of multiple filters to simulate texture. Thanks, Tom. I needed that.

=============

It’s not uncommon for folks doing a “Photo-to-Art” project to apply some sort of texture effect to simulate canvas, rough paper, burlap, etc. Up until not long ago I (like many people I suppose) applied texture directly to my "finished" flattened image. The Photoshop Texturizer/Canvas combination has always been one of my favorites.

While there’s nothing inherently wrong with this method, it doesn’t lend itself to much flexiblity. And yes, there’s the ability to fiddle with the results with the Filter/Fade command, but that's a one shot tweek.

I dunno about you, but I seldom get it right the first time, even with the Fade command.

Perhaps a better way?
A friend recently demonstrated the following method that, to me, offers the benefit of easy “tweeking” plus practically unlimited creativity, aka, less time for mowing my lawn. Though written from a Photoshop perspective, this method should port to any application that supports layers and traditional blend modes.

Here's how he explained it:

1. Create a new layer on top of the layer stack; name it, say, "Texture."

2. Use the Fill command to fill the layer with 50% gray.

3. Create a texture using your method of choice, for example, the Texturizer, Craquelure, Noise, or Grain filters. Another way is to add Noise or Grain to the texture layer, then run filters such as Angled Strokes, Crosshatch, Graphic Pen, Mosaic, Dry Brush, Crystalize, Mosaic, etc.

4. Set the blend mode of the Texture layer initially to Overlay and adjust Opacity to suit. Experiment with Hard Light and Soft Light as well as other blend modes.

Talk about flexibility!

Wanna get really wild and crazy?
Use the method above to create more than one texture layer, e.g., Texture-Craquelure + Texture-Angled Strokes, or two Texture-Craquelure layers, one with cracks “far apart” and another with cracks “close together.”

How about selective texture application??
No problem. Create a layer mask for the texture layer and lightly airbrush black where you don’t want the texture to appear.

Make a mistake? Airbrush white and the texture will “reappear.”

Are we having fun yet?

=============

OK: Your turn.

What are some of your favorite hints or techniques to make a Photo Art image look like it was painted / drawn on something other than a flat, white sheet of paper?

=============

Remember, to paraphrase something Dudley Moore's character Arthur said it the movie of the same name, "Fun is a wonderful thing to have," so my recommendation is, "Have lots of it."

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 07:45 PM

Danny,

AWESOME!!! I just tried that method and it is great. Thanks. We are leaving on a trip in a couple of weeks. When am I going to find time to pack? I am addicted...

Lynda
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 08:06 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I have to echo Lynda's comments. Just tried it quickly, and the results were....well....something I could play with for a long time. Thanks for passing that on.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 09:45 PM

Lynda, where are you going this time? Liked the gallery, especiallly the large images, do you mind if I play with one?
Wish I could make a gallery like that but I can't get it together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 11:28 PM

Fugitive,

I would be honored for you to work with some of my images just be sure and post them so I can see the magic.

My husband is a civilian contractor for the Air Force and he is going TDY for 3 months. So I am going back to Texas to visit family. During my stay I will visit California, Colorado, and Kansas. On our way back to Korea (after the TDY) we are going to Germany and either Thailand or Singapore. Then back to Korea.

Smiles,
Lynda
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 12:09 AM

Good, thanks I will post it if it gets done, I have such a backlog. I love the ones in Roma, would love to see Europe. That's a great way to see the world, on Uncle Sam. The collesuem, wow, I hear roman coins are fairly cheap, ever get any?
I was thinking of a W/C of the one with the sun on the left side, with the arches in the center. Perhaps.......
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 01:48 AM

Fugitive,

You know, I never even though about Roman coins. I loved Europe. That was the first time I have been there. I would love to be stationed in Europe for a while. Well, maybe some day. I am looking forward to your rendition of the image.

Danny,

I took this today. Although the closest games are in Seoul our little city is in the spirit of the World Cup matches. I did this in pen & ink and used a texture I created with your tutorial. Thanks, what fun.

Lynda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06'07'02---world-cup-2002-f.jpg (98.2 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Why don't texture files show up in texturizer list

I have placed several psd texture files in my CS2 presets/textures folder and they don't show up in the dropdown list for the texturizer.

Can you tell me why?

Isabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Isabel, you need to click the little arrowhead and go to the folder where you have your textures and load one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tex.jpg (74.5 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 12:30 PM

I believe they must be saved as flattened "grayscale" images, too, not (say) RGB.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources