RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Pencil Sketch method III using program Photo Brush

Old 06-07-2002, 07:45 AM

Tutorial: Pencil Sketch method III using program Photo Brush

In a recent thread Lynda Logan mentioned an application called Photo-Brush by Mediachace. I downloaded the 30-day, full-function trial + the useful 100-page .PDF instruction manual.

I discovered that the Paint-Brush equivalent of a PS action called "Watercolor and Ink" rendered what (to me) was a unique and pleasing pencil sketch-like result. See below for a few more comments on this application.

After running the Watercolor & Ink action and saving the file (.PSD format supported), I opened the result in Photoshop and did a little fine tuning with angled strokes and adding a little skin tone via History Brush.

An image of the layers palette with layer-by-layer details is included with the attachment. Let me know if you have questions

~DannyR~

================
A couple more comments about Photo-Brush:

Windows only.

Photo-Brush includes a very good "old photo" filter, a clone by tracing feature (similar to Painter, Deep Paint, et al), integrated B/Works [a low-tech version of Flaming Pear's Mr. Contrast plugin], a plugin manager that can be launched to automatically find (and setup pointers to) any and all folders containing .8bf files, and a whole lot more. For $38 (as of 6/02), you get a lot of value for not much money.

There is a considerable amount of overlap with applications like PhotoImpact and Paintshop Pro, but if you have neither of these Photo-Brush is a very cost effective supplement to Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pencil-sketch-method-3.jpg (81.6 KB, 174 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 09:32 AM

Great review Danny. I like the results of the example you attached.
I think you mentioned that you ran the Watercolor & Ink action and then saved in PSD format and opened it up in PS. Does that mean that it does not run as a PS plugin? Some of these programs will run seperately but also list themselves in with PS plugins like Dream Suite for instance. Just curious.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 10:21 AM

DJ:

Good question. This is a stand-alone application only. No separate plugin.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources