RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Plugin: Filter Forge 50% off sale (December 2009)

Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Plugin: Filter Forge 50% off sale (December 2009)

If you have ever considered buying this exceptionally versatile plugin, now might be the time to consider the investment. (I was not at all keen about acquiring Filter Forge at "regular price" when it came out a few years ago. Half off (now) made it worthy of another look.)

I just bought the "pro" version based on a couple if hours of testing / experimenting with the 30-day full function trial.

Check out:
* Gallery
* System requirements
* version 2 implications (due out 2010)

Win and Mac versions available.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Re: Plugin: Filter Forge 50% off sale (December 20

danny is right. this is a bargain. in fact, when filter forge first came out, within a short time i was trying to convince the owner that he was way underpriced, and that was at full price

i suspect the reason for the price drop is that version II is in beta test. in fact, if you wish to join the test, just get the version II demo and then contact the filter forge guys for a product key for beta. that will give you testing of the new version plus you'll be able to see all the earlier stuff and you're not limited to the 30 day demo limit. the drawback is that version II filters cannot be uploaded to the library yet and, this beta has not been announced as one where you'll receive a free copy for being an active tester. so, your beta version may eventually expire. but, since they are doing this is stages and we're only in stage one so far, you might have quite an extended period of 'testing'

at any rate, it's a great program, whether you get version one of help test version two. i've used it since about the second day version one went into beta. i signed up and havent looked back since. i make a lot of my own filters for photo art and i publish some others for the public library over at filterforge.com . they have a good forum with some very helpful, friendly folks. there is a wiki available for help plus a built in help and the developers are fairly active on the forums, so if you cant find your answers anywhere else, they answer up pretty well.

i shld also point out, this is a professional program. it's not a 'kiddie' program. this program is used by ID software, lucas arts and other big names. it's extremely intuitive, including the built-in editor for making your own filters, it does seamless tiling of textures, has over 6000 filters currently available, is effectively royalty free for any of those filters in the library, and does both seamless textures and photo effects. and, most important to me, you dont have to know any computer coding. it's all plug and play within the editor.

the list just goes on. you can earn a free copy and lifetime upgrades through their very generous rewards program. there is a referral program. there are several levels of the program and even a few free filter packs.

so, if you're doing photo effects, 3d work, any sort of texturing, this is a no-brainer. it's one of the best bangs for the buck in the graphics world going and even more so with the current discount.

lol. i hate salesman, and i know i sound like one here, so ok, shoot me; i like this program
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM

Craig,

I think you're being unfair to yourself. You've found something terrifically useful and endlessly versatile and when that happens we all have an irresistible urge to evangelize about it

- Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

True, FF is a wonderful addition to your digital imaging arsenal. I personally like it for adding unique and extremely cool effects to my own photos, but that is only half of the deal (you can create your own otherworldly seamless textures as Craig described). And with thousands of presets ready to play with, you'll have results immediately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Craig,

I think you're being unfair to yourself. You've found something terrifically useful and endlessly versatile and when that happens we all have an irresistible urge to evangelize about it
(damn, cant post just the . bah!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Craig, thank you for the information.

Filter Forge has a few freebies:
http://www.filterforge.com/download/

Last edited by pavel123; 12-05-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 AM

you're welcome

and if you all get the chance, check out some of the new stuff coming in version II. blowing my mind so far

beta II gallery thread at filterforge.com: http://www.filterforge.com/forum/rea...ID=17&TID=6781
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM

any idea when version II will be released?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM

stage 3 of the beta was just released. there is still a stage 4 coming and an RC (release candidate). i predicted way back that it would be summer before the final release and i was nearly laughed off the site *grin*, but i saw today one of the developers posted something talking about june. lol. so, i feel exonerated now

now, that's NOT official, by any means. it's just a sort of, maybe, kinda, hoping, guess.

i can also tell you that filter forge 2 rocks! stage 3 has released over 30 new components to play with!! given what we already have, that's just mind-boggling! i am now a complete newbie again. lol. they've increased their HDR capacitly, added a ton of new math components, made working with non-square images much easier, making shapes of all kinds got easier and there's just a wealth of stuff in this FF2 and we still have a fourth stage to go! did i mention kid in a candy shop?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Ok...almost July...any idea when the new version will be released?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources