RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Book: Painting for Photographers - Karen Sperling

Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Book: Painting for Photographers - Karen Sperling

Now available at Amazon.com: Painting for Photographers, the highly anticipated book on creating paintings from photos using Photoshop and Corel Painter by long-time Painter author and evangelist, Karen Sperling,

See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0981816304/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1N9QQH7V4M015A6N0AX9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

So far the user reviews are stellar.

I received my copy a while back, but have yet to read it in depth due to other projects demanding my immediate attention. I can say the step-by-step instructions are easy to follow, it's quite comprehensive in terms of scope and art styles presesnted (including separate chapters for painting animals), and contains a significant amount of content on traditional aspects of art to compliment the technical instruction. I was espsecially impressed by the sections describing print (on canvas) considerations and how to further embellish paintings once printed.

- - - - -

Check out the podcast of the KABC radio interview Karen did February 28, 2010 with host Jeff Levy about Painter, Photoshop and Painting for Photographers.

The podcast is at http://kabc.com/blog.asp?id=36134 It's the one under the heading at top/left:

March 01, 2010
"Jeff Levy 02-28-10"

This a 30 minute show. Either listen to the whole thing or drag the slider to ~ 27 min, 40 sec. to go directly to Karen's interview.

--------------------------

For more tutorials on Painter, resources, etc., check out Karen's site:

www.ArtistryMag.com

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Book: Painting for Photographers - Karen Sperl

I though you were referring to this similar book, so I guess there are a couple of like resources.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
I though you were referring to this similar book, so I guess there are a couple of like resources.
Good catch: they are very similar in title:
* Painter X for Photographers (Addison)
* Painting for Photographers (Sperling)

Amazon's "Look inside" feature is a good way to assess content of the Addison book.

The Sperling book is less into "filters, effects, papers and brushes from soup-to-nuts" and more into Painter/Photoshop workflow along with interesting overviews of topics like art history, color theory, composition considerations and post-printing enhancements.

Both books include instructions on how to mimic various artistic styles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Danny, many thanks for sharing the information, sounds like a very interesting book
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources