RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Sketch, John Buchmann method

Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM

Thumbs down

WOW! Exceptional tutorial! It worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the detailed description. Between your tutorial and Trimoon's, I think I can create a nice sketch of my niece. Great job! You need to copy your tutorial and post it over to the Tutorial forum as it's a keeper and I’m sure many people will want a copy of it.

THANKS,

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 02:11 PM

Here are my results to proove how great your tutorial is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (35.0 KB, 368 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 02:27 PM

Great job, T Paul! Looks like i didn't make any mistakes with the tutorial. I hope you get similar results with your niece!

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 04:16 PM

Another great tutorial!! I love it!
it worked pretty well for me too.

And beautiful baby...thanks for sharing with us!

BTW...I also tried this tutorial on the red tailed hawk and it worked beautifully as well!

this is all so exciting!

Last edited by summertimerules; 10-23-2002 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 10:55 PM

Mine came out decent, but not like yours and it printed GREEN! WTF is up with that? LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 PM

Green?... haha! Did you work with my sample image, or one of your own?

If one of your own, you'll find that not every photo will work with this technique. It seems to be a crap shoot. But that is probably how it goes with all the painting/drawing techniques in this site.

You'll probably have to try different "spins" on this technique... a little change here and there, in order for it to work with your photo. I'm working on a photo right now that didn't come out as i expected. But i'm trying it at a different angle, and it's coming out good.

For example... In the beginning, instead of duplicating the Background layer and desaturating it, try using the Black channel instead! You would make duplicate of your file, convert to CMYK color mode, select the Black channel, select All, Copy to clipboard, and then Paste it as a new layer. This can also be used as your layer mask instead of using the desaturated image. It's working great with my file right now. So in summary, you may have to experiment... but that is half the fun

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 11:23 PM

Thumbs down thanks

he is very nice and interesting, thanks for the explanation to detail

excuse my english
creativo
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 12:06 AM

Some tips...

I've been experimenting with this technique for a while tonight, and i have come to a few conclusions...

Obviously, resolution is a big issue. In my images, I find that if you're doing something like a face, you don't want to go much higher than 700 pixels from ear to ear. My baby sketch was at about 600 pixels wide (ear to ear) and it works fine. But if you resized it up way larger and tried the technique again, you'd see that your result looks more like a nice grayscale photo than a sketch. Same thing goes for too low a resolution. I was successful at about 400 pixels from ear to ear with a different photo. The effect was "really sketchy looking"... nice effect. I'd suspect that if you went below 300 pixels from ear to ear, then you'd start getting something other than a "sketch" effect.

Another thing: You may find that duplicating the background layer and making it grayscale may not make the best sketch. It all depends on the photo. If you're not getting a good sketch effect, instead of desaturating the background layer, try copying the black channel (of a CMYK version of the file), and paste it into a new layer. Then duplicate that and apply the lighting effects to that.

You can also use this Black channel as your layer mask. Or you may find that your Black channel is too contrasty, and that you don't even need to create a layer mask. That happened to me tonight. I was very surprised that i didn't need a layer mask at all... in fact any layer mask took away from the sketching effect.

Note: Not all Black channels will work with this effect. If you're doing portraits, make sure the Black channel (of a CMYK version of your file) has nice grayscale info in the flesh tones. Pretend that it's a contrasty grayscale photo. If the flesh tones are not nice shades of gray, you can fix this by going to your composite channel, then going to Curves, and then pulling the mid point of the curve up (or down, which ever darkens the photo). This will effectively add some black into the mid-tones of the photo, exactly where the flesh tones are. Once you get a nice Black channel, you can select All, copy and paste into a new layer on your original RGB file. Phew, I hope this makes sense!

So, in conclusion, experiment, experiment, experiment!!! Each photo is unique, so be prepared to stray from my instructions Have fun!

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 05:31 AM

Exceptional to the 2nd power

Another winning tutorial, tutorial John. Sure glad you're finding time to create / write and tinker with them. The follow-up advice is very helpful, too.

KEEP 'EM COMING!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 06:31 AM

Thanks John. I'm off to try your tutorial.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources