RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Sketch, John Buchmann method

Old 10-24-2002, 02:37 PM

Hi John,

First let me say thank you for sharing such a nice and really in-depth tutorial.

Your results were exellent. I used your sample and really came up with almost identical results.

A good friend of ours daughter just had a baby and I wanted to do something similar as a little suprise for her. My hope was that I could give her a 5 x 7. After trying it on my own photo, I did not have quite as good results. I am sure it has to do with the size (resolution) of the original image I am using, based on your followup remarks.

My question is, do you have any recommendations as to what settings I might try to change if in fact I want to work with an image that would be big enough to make into a 5 x 7.

If you have any suggestions as to what steps / settings would be best to change to account for higher resolution images, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for putting together such a nice tutorial

Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 03:17 PM

Carl:

Wow, you must have a very high resolution digital camera! (or are you scanning film?) My sample photo was done with a 5 megapixel camera, which i thought was alot! LOL

So your results looked too much like a grayscale photo, instead of a sketch? If so, then you're probably right about having too high resolution. I think the only thing that needs to be changed for higher res images would be the Lighting Effects filter. But i don't know what exactly to change to accomodate higher res images.

What you could try is resizing the photo down. My photo had a resolution of about 600 pixels from ear to ear. Maybe resize it so you get a similar size. Then try the tutorial again. If you get pleasing results, then you'll know that it was a resolution issue. Because you're going for a "sketchy" look, i don't think resizing it up alot (to print at 4x6) would affect quality too much. After all, a sketch is supposed to be a little grainy.

If trying it at a smaller size didn't help at all, then you should try the alternatives that i mentioned, like using the Black channel. (explained in a few messages above this.)

If you like, you could email me your photo, and i can give it a try! john@informatik.com

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 08:57 AM

Hi John,

Well shame on me for not taking a closer look at the actual size of your posted image.

The photo I took, and attempted to use for this project also came from a 5 mp camera. I think I will try to crop it similar to what you must have done, and try it again. I also think your correct in suggesting I could use a smaller resolution image and then increase and probably wouldn't lose to much.

It may also be the picture itself, just doesn't meet the best contrast or exposure requirements. More likely though it is something I screwed up in the process.

In any case, I think I'll try to redue on my own this weekend and see if I can get a more pleasing result. I'll also try some of your other recommendations in terms of changing that setting you mentioned.

Your offer to take a stab at trying it certainly is very generous. If I have no luck than I may take you up on it. Let me know if you have a cable or DSL modem. I don't want to burden you with a file that approaches 2 mg. unless you have a fast connection.

Thanks again for following up with me - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 09:09 AM

Carl,

You say the photo isn't exposed well? If it's underexposed, then you might have luck using the black channel technique. I got excellent results from a photo that was underexposed when i used that technique. It just didn't look right when i used the first method.

Yes, i have a cable modem, so you can send me files of 2mb no problem!

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 03:35 PM

Beautiful daughter and a Beautiful Technique
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 10:30 PM

Stupid question

I really do hate to ask such an obvious question but:

How do you install the Pencil2 Lighting Effects file??
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2002, 09:12 AM

Trimoon,

thanks for the compliment, and that means alot coming from you! Your stuff is simply awesome, and i couldn't have come up with it without you.

Keith,

Follow this link to get install instructions. It's near the top of the page...

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 05:22 PM

I love the results of that sketch , going to give it a go but the link for the original image seems to have been lost , can someone post it up again so I can see the dimensions ?
Thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 07:25 PM

Sorry Tabizan, i must have deleted it by mistake. I just fixed it, so you'll be able to download it if you try again...

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 01:42 AM

Thanks !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources