RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial: Trimoon CD discussion

Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 PM

I can't. My vest is at the cleaners. I spilled egg salad on it at a picnic.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 PM

Bummer Bob!!

OK, I tried a different background with the owl and I'm much happier with this one. Turns out I just needed to experiment a bit more with all of the brushes the Steve provided. That about fills up my play time for this evening. I guess an hour a day is better than nothing.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owl-jsa-v2.jpg (97.1 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2003, 07:27 AM

Ok, I agree with you. The second background is better. It makes the owl jump out. Still like the first one though.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2003, 07:31 AM

Jeaniesa, after looking again I have a teenie, tiny, little itty bittie comment. On the bottom of the owl the edge seems a little ragged. Maybe a little blur or softening might look nice.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 AM

Yes, I noticed that too Bob, but being more concerned about the background, I ignored it. You're right of course, it doesn't look like watercolor at all! Thanks for noticing it.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2003, 07:02 PM

Observations I've made

These are some observations I've made since the first release of the tutorial.

You can work on an image at 72 dpi. However, if you're going to print it out, it will look terrible when you apply any textures, or anything that would be dependent on a higher dpi. The solution to this would be, before applying a texture, increase the dpi of the image. This way you will get a much tighter and more realistic texture.

I also noticed that, as you work, your history builds up. It would not hurt to delete or clear your history on a regular basis.

In the future, I will make my brushes smaller because they tend to overwhelm the lower dpi images. The size of the brush has never been really important. I highly recommend sizing the brush to be proportionate with the image.

For those of you who have not noticed, most of my presets come with the color pallete already chosen (such as magenta, purple, etc.). You can change these to whatever color you like. I always recommend picking a color from the image on which you're working.

To get an idea as to how the final image is going to look, I sometimes, in the middle of working, will apply a texture, just to see who it will look and then I'll undo it and go on. It is at this point that I'll sometimes check to see if my colors are the way I want them.

In the future, I will be using only PDF files along with the video so that there won't be any confusion about opening html files (which by the way open very easily in your browsher, but this is the thing I've gotten the most e-mail about). Also, in the PDF files will be a complete script along with screen shots describing every detail of the video. So, if you don't want to watch the video, you will have the PDF to read.

I am now in the process of completing two new tutorials: one is on portraits and the other is on pencil sketching. I know I've posted the pencil sketch tutorial in the past year freely on the web. The new one will be an update that goes into a lot more detail. The portrait one will have some pencil techniques but will also have oil and watercolor techniques. I will post examples prior to the release and the examples will be the exact images used in the tutorial.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.
Steve
www.trimoon.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 PM

Steve, Thanks for the additional info. I think I observed just about everything you mentioned - except that I've been working on larger images, so haven't run into the issues with 72 dpi.

No pressure, but I'm really looking forward to your tutorial on portraits. Portraits are definitely the most difficult "subject" for me and I need all the help I can get!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2003, 01:24 PM

I found time to try one other image late last night. This is another bird. The picture I started with had the wings clipped, so it wasn't the greatest, but I just had to try it since it's the only one I took like this.

I think I'll try a flower for my next attempt - I just have to find the right image to start with!

Thanks again Steve - this is fun!

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawk-jsa.jpg (99.9 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2003, 01:39 PM

And just because I think the transformation of this picture is pretty remarkable, I'm including the original I started with.

Background - this picture of a ferruginous hawk was taken at a "fair" in our local park. It is not a "wild" hawk per se. It is an educational outreach bird for the Rocky Mountain Raptor Program. The hawk was brought in because it was injured, but it is also "human-imprinted", which means it's not afraid of humans and if released would think nothing of (literally) diving in and "joining" a picnic - making it a danger both to humans and itself. So, instead of euthanizing the bird, the RMRP has made it an educational bird and brings it to schools and other outreach events. My mother volunteers for the RMRP and loves the personality of this bird, so while she was working at the booth during the celebration, I was taking pictures. In this particular picture, the hawk was about to "bait", meaning dive head first under his perch. Since I wasn't expecting it and had the camera zoomed in too close, I didn't get the full wing span.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawk-orig.jpg (56.6 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2003, 03:17 PM

I got an image I like. This is a male night heron.

The difference between this one and the other failures was an image with less stuff in the background (I think)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nightherontrimoon.jpg (90.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources