RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Tips, Tricks and Miracles

Old 01-21-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt
Danny - have you tried screen instead of overlay? It gives a beautiful pastel watercolour effect.

Also try screen with a different Imp. style, but from the same 'family' - eg chalk basic for layer 1, and chalk detailed for layer 2 (screened) - same pastelly effect, but almost ethereal now. Pictures show the ethereally one, and the same one with increased saturation.

<Fluffbutt pads off to find a kitty dictionary to see if 'pastelly' is a real word!>
Hey, Fluff:

Nice to read your "meow." You make a good point about blend modes.

One can get practically unlimited variations by sandwiching Impressionist layers rendered from:
* Within the same Style (main category, e.g., Charcoal)
* Different Styles
* The same variant, e.g., Charcoal > Half sketched and changing options with each layer...
...and experimenting with blend modes and/or layer masks between layers.

In this example I used Impressionist's Chalk > Detailed Opaque Strokes variant on all layers, varying the Brush Size on each. Layers A, B and D were created by duplicating the Background.

* Layer A (bottom): Brush = 200, i.e., 200% (twice) the size of the normal brush. Results: Really blocky and abstract. Detail is lost. I applied a heavy dose of Unsharp mask to give these strokes some personality.

* Layer B: Brush = 50. Pretty detailed. Looks almost like Photoshop's Dry Brush filter without the mottled look. Layer > New Layer Mask > Hide all. Set foreground color to white, chose Photoshop's Chalk 36 brush, airbrush = on, Flow = 50%, Opacity = 50%. Airbrushed in some detail.

* Layer C: A duplicate of layer B with layer blend mode changed from Normal to Color Dodge. Added a Hide All Layer Mask and started making strokes with the Chalk 36 brush. Strokes "lightened" dark areas, such as in the water and the all-blue sky, because of the Color Dodge setting.

* Layer D: Brush = 25 (25% or 1/4 of original brush size). This results in so much detail that it looks nearly unaltered, but handy when you have a detail area (like eyes, mouth, glasses in a portrait) that needs to be emphasized. Added another Hide All Layer Mask and restored some detail here and there.

* Layer E: Alt + Layer > Merge visible to combine all visible layers into the new one without collapsing the individual layers.

Good suggestion, Fluff. You inspired me once again. Don't be such a stranger. We need more tips like yours.

~Danny~

Attachments below: Layers A, B, D, E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layer A Brush 200.jpg (83.1 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Layer B and C Brush 50.jpg (40.6 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Layer D Brush 25 lots of detail.jpg (46.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Layer E Merge visible.jpg (90.3 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg Layers Palette.jpg (40.3 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-21-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Impressionist

Danny

I really like the effect you created on Layer E and would love to learn your technique. If you don't mind (being a beginner) would you go through each stage - slowly, so that I can duplicate?

I want to apply this technique to bride & groom wedding photographs.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Steve

I'm waiting for Steve's reply to my e-mail asking him some questions. ~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-28-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Applying a Texture using Impressionist

Among Impressionist's options are the ability to specify a texture (Impressionist calls it a Paper). Some Styles include a Paper while others do not.

1. Applying a texture along with the Style.

Click the Style button:
* Select any Category and Style, e.g, Chalk > Chunky Strokes
* Click More Options
* From the dropdown menu choose Paper
* In the Paper dialog you can choose among the various Paper options, plus set values for Scaling, Grain and Relief.

Note: For the texture to be visible after application, the values for Grain and/or Relief must be > 0. If both of these values are zero, then no texture is applied.

= = = = = = = = = = =

2. Applying texture only

Preparation
* Create a new layer above the rest of your layers
* Edit > Fill > 50% gray
* Change layer blend mode from Normal to Overlay

Create texture
* Open the Impressionist dialog
* Click the Style button:
* Select any Category and Style -- it makes no difference which one
* Click More Options
* From the dropdown menu choose General
* IMPORTANT: Drag the sliders for Pressure and Coverage to 0
* Drag brush size slider to 25 (for miminum rendering time)
* From the dropdown menu choose Paper
* In the Paper dialog select a Paper and set values for Scaling, Grain and Relief.

When you click Apply, only the texture is applied.

Adjust opacity as needed. Also, try layer blend modes Soft Light and Hard Light.

= = = = = = = = = = =

3. Using your own texture files

In the Paper dialog:
* Click the Custom button
* Navigate to your own .tif format only texture files. These files can be anywhere. They do not have to reside in Impressionist's \Papers folder.

HAVE FUN!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2005, 06:19 AM

Thank you Danny. I've wondered how to do exactly what you just posted. I had always used Photoshop's texturizer because I lacked understanding of how to use the one in Impressionist.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 07:27 AM

Has anyone noticed a "bug" or "feature" (????) in impressionist...

In the 'Effects' control, there's a bit called 'Modify Color'. Whenyou select it but set it to zero modification it still changes the image, BUT it doesn't change the colour it changes the way the brush affects it..

Wierd, huh!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt
Has anyone noticed a "bug" or "feature" (????) in impressionist...

In the 'Effects' control, there's a bit called 'Modify Color'. When you select it but set it to zero modification it still changes the image, BUT it doesn't change the colour: It changes the way the brush affects it..

Wierd, huh!
Interesting. I'd never noticed that before -- but that's because I use Impressionist's Color settings and/or Photoshop's Hue/Saturation and Selective Color commands to alter colors.

In the few tests I did using 'Modify Color' it appears to make the brushstrokes a little taller.

Good catch, Fluff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 AM

Actually, in some ways it does improve the image even when set to 0 0 0
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 10:10 PM

Van Gogh--retaining detail

I have exploring the Van Gogh preset kindly supplied by JCH, and wish to retain alot of detail. i find this preset eliminates too much detail for my taste. i have tried to change the brush size but without much help. I have also ried alot of variations with the Grayscale file that it depends upon. Any suggestions as to how to get as much detail as i can and still retain the very nice impasto feel.

MDIJB
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdijb
I have exploring the Van Gogh preset kindly supplied by JCH, and wish to retain alot of detail. i find this preset eliminates too much detail for my taste. i have tried to change the brush size but without much help. I have also ried alot of variations with the Grayscale file that it depends upon. Any suggestions as to how to get as much detail as i can and still retain the very nice impasto feel.

MDIJB
Beyond altering the Size setting, here are a couple things to try...

Click "More Controls" and open the dropdown menu. Experiment with various combinations of the following adjustments:

From the Brush panel try either (or both) of these:
* Turn on "Use Brush Family" option
* Select a different brush

From the Size panel try any of these:
* Uncheck the "Scale strokes proportionally" option and reduce the Max width and height values
* Make a choice other than "About Even" from the "Size Distribution" menu, for example Mostly Small

Important: If you come up with a combination you really like, don't forget to SAVE it!

I hope these get you moving in the right direction.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdijb

MDIJB
I just noticed something. The previous suggestions were based on the the "jch" Van Gogh, but it does not use a stroke map.

The "Lylejk" preset does use a stroke map, however, and it's a little different creature. So, in case that's the one you meant to cite, here are a few additional suggestions:

In the Placement panel try Random in lieu of On Grid.

To retain original colors, in the Color panel set the three Jitter values to zero and the Palette option to None.
In the Size panel experiment with all the size settings.

In the Effects panel try Emboss > Top Right > 2 or 3 to give the stokes the appearance of depth.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources