RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Examples using your own pictures

Old 01-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Patron

I can sew too.

Some more examples of my sewing preset for Impressionist. Hope you all have some fun with it. Don't forget to play with the pressure settings too. I said it before and I will say it again, Impressionist is just too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I_can_sew_too.jpg (99.8 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 02:27 PM

"Flecks" With The Impressionist Plugin

I am new to this forum and have been experimenting with the plug-in. Is there a way to remove the black or colorless "flecks" for lack of a better term, that often litter otherwise excellent Impressionist renditions ?
These can be seen on a number of the examples shown here.
Are there settings to prevent these areas- especially the black "soot-like" stuff
that gets spread all over ?
Thank you.

Stuart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
I am new to this forum and have been experimenting with the plug-in. Is there a way to remove the black or colorless "flecks" for lack of a better term, that often litter otherwise excellent Impressionist renditions ?
These can be seen on a number of the examples shown here.

Are there settings to prevent these areas- especially the black "soot-like" stuff that gets spread all over ?

Thank you.

Stuart
First of all, welcome to the forum, Stuart, and thanks for posting your question. When we get to the solution/suggestions, many will benefit down the road.

The results you describe could be due to a number of factors. Without an example to view, it's hard to be sure. If you could post a couple of the Styles that you're having problems with, for example,

Charcoal > Default or

Conte > Faithful,

that would help narrow things down considerably.

If you could also upload an example image or two with these undesirable characteristics, that would be even better. See the threads below my sig if you need assistance in this regard.

~Danny~

How to upload attachments
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/7933-attaching-files-images-threads-posts.html

Resizing images to 100KB or less
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/4398-resizing-images-retouchpro.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Re:"Flecks" With Impressionist

Danny,
Thank you so much for the reply. I am in my office now so that I cannot post
a pic. However, I have linked to one that you posted ( a man walking into a building.) In this case, it is white "flecks" , almost like snow. Other filters in the plug in give black flecks, like soot.
My guess is that the creator thought it was artistic. I will try the 2 filters you have mentioned. However, many of the otherwise fine filters in the plug -in are,
in my opinion, difficult to use due to this problem.
Can you remove the white flecks from your posted pic by changing the settings ?
Stuart

Here is the link

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...chmentid=12412
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Stuart,

That looks to me as though the coverage was less than 100% and the background was set to something other than "image."

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
Danny,
Thank you so much for the reply. I am in my office now so that I cannot post
a pic. However, I have linked to one that you posted ( a man walking into a building.) In this case, it is white "flecks" , almost like snow. Other filters in the plug in give black flecks, like soot.
My guess is that the creator thought it was artistic. I will try the 2 filters you have mentioned. However, many of the otherwise fine filters in the plug -in are,
in my opinion, difficult to use due to this problem.
Can you remove the white flecks from your posted pic by changing the settings ?
Stuart

Here is the link

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...chmentid=12412
Pic worth 1K words sometimes. Ya done good.

I'd say DC pretty much nailed it...

If the "Coverage" setting is < 100%, Impressionist will leave random areas of an image "untouched" by the selected effect, just as a traditional artist might not paint every square inch of a canvas. So this is a feature, not a bug!

The option selected in the Background dropdown menu tells Impressionist what to do with these unrendered areas. If Foreground or Background, or Custom Color is in effect and your image editing program's FG/BG color at the moment is black, that would account for black flecks. A Custom Color setting of black would get the same results.

As DC suggested a Background setting of "Image" might be what you're looking for -or- try setting the Coverage to 100%.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 PM

You Solved It!

Thank you all for the reply. Using "Image Color" solves the problem. The plugin is now tremendously useful.

Stuart
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 AM

This is a new pic

This is a new pic I have been working on and I need some feed back. You can be honest. I don't know if it is too busy or not some people like it and some don't (they don't tell me why).
This was done with three layers original on botton steve's watercolor middle and al's water 3 on the top with lightening ans sm on all three layers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crabappleblurwatercolorligh.jpg (97.5 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 AM

I love the colors and the technique/style you have achieved. IMHO, the picture lacks a center of focus or a flow that directs the eye thus giving it a busy type feel.

Don't quit. And share the technique. It works really well.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 AM

Ydelle i both like it and don't like it and i would be hard pushed to explain why i dont like it but Janet has hit the nail on the head.

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources